Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 10:14   #76

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Anyone dreaming about living on a cruise ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
For the last 30 years I have spent July and August living on my 30' sailboat, and in fall and winter spend about 60 days on cruise ships.
I'm similar. Spent a lot of time in years past on the sailboat and try to maximise this in the summer. Then our prefered vacation is a cruise ship. You meet lots of sailors/ex-sailors on board. I don't gain weight as I would at home as there is portion control if you eat the regular meals. I like wearing a tux on formal nights and ballroom dancing, some of the guest speakers are very impressive (Buzz Aldrin - one time).
To the original question - I'm unsure about living on a ship, but come winter time aside from skiing its a great way to see some parts of the world, an amuse bouche to give later travel/vacation ideas.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:41   #77

Boat: Hershine, 50' Yacht Fish

But look at all the single ladies you can meet? They just don't hang out on street corners. Soo taking a cruse and they do all the work and you just have fun and not worry about weather is kinda of cool. Who knows who you might meet. Its all good. Captain Chuck . . .
CaptainChuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 15:14   #78

Actually having been coerce onto a cruise once. Being it was an Alaskan cruise. The only cruise I would like to do is a round the world on a sailing vessel 50 to 60 feet.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 19:31   #79

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

I've worked on passenger ships, rather run live sheep to the Middle east from OZ.
Also done many cruises to places otherwise near impossible to get to easily, as in Cape Horn, Baltic, Nordscape Norway. By far the worst was the QE2 out of Sydney, passengers good company, crew - bogans in dinner suits.
We met a couple on a cruise out of BA, heading around the Cape to Chile and they were being celebrated by the crew for doing 100 cruises! We were amazed, so we walked over to talk to them. They lived in Michigan, I know the place having visited Midland Michigan when I worked for Dow Chemical in another far away life. They had worked out that the cost of living through the awful winter, heating, house prep and the simple inconvenience of living under 20 feet of snow for 4 - 6 months was too hard. They did back to back cruises and at $4000USD per month it was cheaper than their living costs and utility bills. Often did no bother getting of the ship!
In Hobart, 18 months ago we saw a floating condo ship in port and met some inmates. Cruise the world, seven to 10 days in most interesting ports, plenty of time so sightsee, leave the ship, tour and rejoin days or weeks later , your own car on board, all hassles with landing the car in various countries sorted painlessly, visas, passports, conceierge services easing every decision, all for less than the per diem of a half decent nursing home or retirement village
Capital value of the condo guaranteed, and a per diem less than most holidays, must say that it did not look all bad to me
Compare that to fading away in a Nursing home, with advancing dementia and awful food, neglectful care as happened to my beloved Mother in Law - I know what I'd choose
Not sure what the impact of Covid has had on this living model though
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 21:13   #80

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

I have done a trip with the Lloyd Triestino Line from Venice to South Africa and another one one from Venice to Sydney back in the 70th and it was fun.

Traveling by ship was cheaper in those days then flying..Things have changed since then, looking at some of the monstrosities coming through New Caledonia it's rather bizarre, huge TV screens, noise and disco lights, thousands of tourists ...naaa

Anyway, I rather travel with my own yacht and do my own disco..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:20   #81

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectr View Post
I've worked on passenger ships, rather run live sheep to the Middle east from OZ.

Also done many cruises to places otherwise near impossible to get to easily, as in Cape Horn, Baltic, Nordscape Norway. By far the worst was the QE2 out of Sydney, passengers good company, crew - bogans in dinner suits.

We met a couple on a cruise out of BA, heading around the Cape to Chile and they were being celebrated by the crew for doing 100 cruises! We were amazed, so we walked over to talk to them. They lived in Michigan, I know the place having visited Midland Michigan when I worked for Dow Chemical in another far away life. They had worked out that the cost of living through the awful winter, heating, house prep and the simple inconvenience of living under 20 feet of snow for 4 - 6 months was too hard. They did back to back cruises and at $4000USD per month it was cheaper than their living costs and utility bills. Often did no bother getting of the ship!

In Hobart, 18 months ago we saw a floating condo ship in port and met some inmates. Cruise the world, seven to 10 days in most interesting ports, plenty of time so sightsee, leave the ship, tour and rejoin days or weeks later , your own car on board, all hassles with landing the car in various countries sorted painlessly, visas, passports, conceierge services easing every decision, all for less than the per diem of a half decent nursing home or retirement village

Capital value of the condo guaranteed, and a per diem less than most holidays, must say that it did not look all bad to me

Compare that to fading away in a Nursing home, with advancing dementia and awful food, neglectful care as happened to my beloved Mother in Law - I know what I'd choose

Not sure what the impact of Covid has had on this living model though
Extended stops at ports would certainly make it more appealing vs the typical cruise ship rushed visit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 15:13   #82

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

As I read it, it was not a cruise ship but a floating condo complex. Buy a suite and pay a regime fee. May work for the wealthy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:07   #83

Location: On the Beachs of Super Sunny Southern California USA
Send a message via ICQ to tallship Send a message via AIM to tallship Send a message via Yahoo to tallship Send a message via Skype™ to tallship

Yeah, I can see that, but no bots here lol.

And yes it did spark a nerve in a lot of people, since, as many pointed out, this is a cruising forum, primarily sailing, and the OP was talking making residence on a cruise ship all geriatric style or perhaps walmart employee-esque.

Kinda the antithesis of pretty much every other thread here over the years, so yes it drew out a lot of us that have only lurked and enjoyed the forums for so many years
tallship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:55   #84

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallship View Post
Yeah, I can see that, but no bots here lol.

And yes it did spark a nerve in a lot of people, since, as many pointed out, this is a cruising forum, primarily sailing, and the OP was talking making residence on a cruise ship all geriatric style or perhaps walmart employee-esque.

Kinda the antithesis of pretty much every other thread here over the years, so yes it drew out a lot of us that have only lurked and enjoyed the forums for so many years
Fair enough, welcome to the fray!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:21   #85

Holy moly. I did not expect this to blow up.

First of all, I'm sorry you guys. Didn't realize about when I posted something like this it would get so much hate and backlash. I'm sorry again

Second, I was just looking for some insights about living on a cruise ship. Thought this would be a good place cause it's about cruising.

Anyways, sorry again guys
CruiseWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34   #86

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Living on a cruise ship? A good definition of purgatory...

Jim
agree with Jim!
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:40   #87

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseWorld View Post

First of all, I'm sorry you guys. Didn't realize about when I posted something like this it would get so much hate and backlash. I'm sorry again

Second, I was just looking for some insights about living on a cruise ship. Thought this would be a good place cause it's about cruising.

oh dear... no worries.

true, there are many different types of sailing and reasons for going to sea, ...and more than likely, the cruise ship experience lies the farthest opposite side of the overall different-kinds-of-sailing spectrum.

i sailed a felucca down the Nile one summer. wasn't that easy for a female then, or now. but would rather do this than be stuck on a cruise ship
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:15   #88

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
oh dear... no worries.

true, there are many different types of sailing and reasons for going to sea, ...and more than likely, the cruise ship experience lies the farthest opposite side of the overall different-kinds-of-sailing spectrum.

i sailed a felucca down the Nile one summer. wasn't that easy for a female then, or now. but would rather do this than be stuck on a cruise ship [emoji3]
There is good example of the difference! Sailing a felucca down the Nile...now that would be WAY cool. By contrast the concensus here to living aboard a cruise ship seems to be: "maybe if Im about to die".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:35   #89

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseWorld View Post

It was a legitimate question, you have nothing to apologize for. As someone said, it hit a raw nerve in SOME people, I don’t know why. I apologize to you for some of the rude replies which were unnecessary. Hope you’ll continue with us.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:46   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
i sailed a felucca down the Nile one summer. wasn't that easy for a female then, or now. but would rather do this than be stuck on a cruise ship
We did it a few years back...really quite easy...even for women.

Of course, it was fully crewed.

Egypt is a very cool country to visit but not one we care to do on our own. Of course, it's also a cheap country so quite reasonable to have paid folks looking after you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruise ship