Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not really, but perhaps, in the sense of Jimmy Buffet’s first stanza:
"A Pirate Looks At Forty"
“Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters
Since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all ...”
I recommend reading the thesis.

Thanks for the link GordMay, I have downloaded it and will consume it at my leisure.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54   #137

Re: Being more positive on CF

I have often posted: "None of us was born an electrician," in response to repeated OPs that start off with: "I don't know anything about electricity, but..." and go on with a long complicated question. I don't say, "They make electricity by rubbing sticks together down the road from you so there are little electrons in the wires to your house."

And then I provide an answer or a link. I've been saving links on that subject for decades.

Mike's right, this is a discussion forum not a library. But providing links to helpful subjects and past forum threads about the question can be helpful.

Within the past year there was a truly hilarious answer to one of these kinds of threads by a "regular" that was something like "The 19 typical answers to questions on the CF forum."

If anybody remembers where that is and could post a link, I'd be VERY grateful.

Of course, please, please, please, tell me to go search for it!

Once found, I could link it forever...

Thanks.

Oh, and the proverbial giveaway: "Thanks in advance...?!?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 13:14   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s a maximum speed limit for a reason, not a minimum, a maximum. Some jurisdictions do have minimums. The one I’m aware of (in Quebec) lists 100 km max and 60 km min.

So, 10 to 15 km below is not obscenely or dangerously slow. The danger comes in the erratic, aggressive, tail gaters types who always seem late for everything.
I don't know how much driving you've done in Southern Ontario, but the typical speed that most traffic moves at around here, in good conditions, especially on secondary highways (2 lane), is around 0 to 10 km/h above the posted limit. And generally most people are doing it safely, with patience and sufficient distance between vehicles. Though of course there are also jerks who bumpertail and pass dangerously. While not strictly legal, the police don't seem to object till you act dangerously or exceed 20 km/h over. They themselves usually move at 10+ over.

So I would argue that, if the normal traffic behaviour is to move at the posted max or a bit over, and it's safe to do so... yet you choose to go at 10 or 15 km/h below max, you're being annoyingly slow for no good reason, and it forces the "normal" traffic to have to pass you, which can generate risky or angry behaviour, depending on how annoyed they are.

There are valid reasons for running below the traffic's normal speed, such as pulling a trailer, vehicle loading, vehicle issues, but going slow "just because", is kind of anti-social, ie you're doing something that goes against what most people there would like to be doing.

/end of traffic derail
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:20   #139
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So I would argue that, if the normal traffic behaviour is to move at the posted max or a bit over, and it's safe to do so... yet you choose to go at 10 or 15 km/h below max, you're being annoyingly slow for no good reason, and it forces the "normal" traffic to have to pass you, which can generate risky or angry behaviour, depending on how annoyed they are.
One does not need a reason to drive below the speed limit.

Not complying with what others would like you to do is not "anti-social".

Those who let themselves get annoyed are the ones at fault, doubly so if they allow such feelings to affect their behaviour, and triply so if that behaviour is unsafe.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:43   #140
CLOD

Boat: none

Guess the thread is now driving off the deep end
Old 05-07-2019, 16:08   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
One does not need a reason to drive below the speed limit.

Not complying with what others would like you to do is not "anti-social".

The idea is how people cooperate on a limited resource (eg 2-lane highways) to all get somewhere efficiently and safely. If someone chooses to travel slower than others, well fine - it's perfectly legal - but it's viewed by others as non-cooperation, and it can contribute to a relative loss of safety by forcing people to attempt passes they wouldn't have had to make if everyone was moving together. As humans we make these adjustments and judgements all the time, and not always rationally.

(btw, I hate traffic, lineups, crowds, etc...which is why being out on the water is so damn great)
Old 05-07-2019, 16:24   #142
cruiser

I was banned for 3 months on the Trawler Forum for defending sailors against a power boat dude who claimed all the sailing cruisers anchored off Georgetown Exumas were dumping their sewage in the water. I said sailing was an art and he would never be an artist.
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:26   #143
CLOD

Boat: none

But the boats in Georgetown ARE dumping their sewage into the harbor
Old 05-07-2019, 16:40   #144

Boat: 1987 SEARAY AMBERJACK, Catalina 35 (crew for my son)

Shut up, sit down, and Sail the dang boat!
OleBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:38   #145

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I don't know how much driving you've done in Southern Ontario, but the typical speed that most traffic moves at around here, in good conditions, especially on secondary highways (2 lane), is around 0 to 10 km/h above the posted limit. And generally most people are doing it safely, with patience and sufficient distance between vehicles. Though of course there are also jerks who bumpertail and pass dangerously. While not strictly legal, the police don't seem to object till you act dangerously or exceed 20 km/h over. They themselves usually move at 10+ over.
Fun personal anecdote. A few years ago my partner and I spent seven months driving our motorcycles across Canada and the USA. In all we drove in seven provinces and something like 22 states, including places like California and Texas. When we got back to southern Ontario both of us, independently, remarked that the worst, most rude and downright jerkish drivers were found in southern Ontario.

I don’t mean to promote this drift, but the posted speed limits are there as an expression of social norms. That’s why they’re publicly posted.

If someone chooses to get all bent out of shape because of someone else is travelling 10 to 15% slower than the maximum speed, then I think that is on them.
Old 05-07-2019, 17:55   #146
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Posted speed limits - revenue raiser or perhaps a "fast tax" in some many jurisdictions - some seem happy to have a chance to pay this selective tax, others not so much.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:21   #147

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
In every facet of human endeavor it is the rightful place of "newbies" to be the butt of jokes, the fall guys of older or more experienced workmates or companions, the acceptor of the blame, the coffee fetcher etc. This is the natural order of human existence and should not be toyed with.

We should give a can of Hertz grease to the newbie with the most interesting question every year! If we don't have any Hertz grease, I'll donate a can of squelch.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:24   #148

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
I am extremely grateful for CF and to those who take the time and, often considerable, effort to answer questions.

I second this. I have found this to be an exceptionally helpful forum. I would also like to thank the moderators, who are doing an outstanding job, especially considering that they are volunteers. I am sure that it takes a fair amount of time and again, many thanks!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:46   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
We should give a can of Hertz grease to the newbie with the most interesting question every year! If we don't have any Hertz grease, I'll donate a can of squelch.

I can donate a skyhook and a metric crescent-wrench...
Old 05-07-2019, 19:34   #150
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But the boats in Georgetown ARE dumping their sewage into the harbor
This guy who was on a large trawler, claimed it was only sailors who 'did it".
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote