Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 04:59   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Being patient...

I am not. Never have been. I have been bugging my husband for a boat for a long time. Then I found a fixer upper that was way less than the boats we were looking at. He didn't say no, but he didn't say yes either. So I contacted the broker and asked a bunch of questions. He is at the boat show">Miami boat show so he needs time. I am trying to be patient but I am not. It really doesn't matter when he gets back to me because it is tax time and nothing happens until the IRS gets their cut. I wish I could speed up the spring just a touch. I am lonely and bored in dubai which doesn't help. I am not much of a city person and the yacht club membership is taking too long. I just want to go sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Being patient...

HA HA!

You sound like you got the bug!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I am not. Never have been. I have been bugging my husband for a boat for a long time. Then I found a fixer upper that was way less than the boats we were looking at. He didn't say no, but he didn't say yes either. So I contacted the broker and asked a bunch of questions. He is at the Miami boat show so he needs time. I am trying to be patient but I am not. It really doesn't matter when he gets back to me because it is tax time and nothing happens until the IRS gets their cut. I wish I could speed up the spring just a touch. I am lonely and bored in dubai which doesn't help. I am not much of a city person and the yacht club membership is taking too long. I just want to go sailing!

Two old sayings for you to consider:

Quote:
"The Grass is Always Greener on the other side" (Or the Nautical equivalent--"The Sea is always Bluer...")
and

Quote:
"Haste makes Waste"
Boredom, Loneliness, a web-connection and a credit card make costly bed-mates...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:57   #4

Life would be costly here if I wasn't so frugal. I hem and haw about things before I dive in. I also have a husband that is tight, and steady Freddie. So there is no worry about jumping into something, he won't allow it!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Brookie, if you are buying a fixer upper...if you are not patient now you will be! Get a sailboard or dingy. That is the fastest way to get into the water! A Laser did it for me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:05   #6

Newt,
Good idea, but actually I was planning on both! We are waiting on yacht club membership to get a couple of lasers, but looking into a cruiser for back home. I live in an apartment building here so no laser storage. We volunteer as race committee for points toward our membership. I will spend Valentine's Day on the water

Old 10-02-2015, 13:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You really do have the bug (bad) May someone have mercy on your poor husband!
Sorry you are down in Floriduu, we could get you sailing fast up here in Warrenton!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 13:19   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Just image how those of us with boats that are currently hauled out and stored in the parking surrounded by 3 feet of snow feel.
Old 10-02-2015, 14:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just image how those of us with boats that are currently hauled out and stored in the parking surrounded by 3 feet of snow feel.
For the past 3 or 4 snowstorms I've meant to go check up on mine (it's about 30 mins away w/o traffic) but each time I was prevented by the next storm. As our next snow event is expected this Thursday and then again by Sun/Mon it probably won't be until next mid week at the earliest. I shudder to think of the tarp and what's on top of it. But at least I'll find out for sure if the claims of sturdiness of my brand are hot air or true.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 15:31   #10

I am in dubai, where it is beautiful now but about to get sizzling hot, luckily I head back to Louisiana for the summer, still hot but not scorching. By the time the YC membership comes through I will be stateside and chasing three teenaged boys around. A good distraction.

Old 10-02-2015, 18:03   #11

I have put the brakes on. Then faced with the hard sell I tend to walk away. I asked for info and only got buy now! Hhhmmm. Re-asked for the info

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39   #12

Ok it has been 24 hours and I decided I really like this boat, so I am not going to let the hard sell put me off. Waiting to talk to hubby about it. I am sure we will talk this weekend.