Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 16:06   #181

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Best country to flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
back when I was a working stiff....I was involved with a port expansion here in the good 'ole USA. Standing in the way of the port expansion were about two dozen homes...homes that had been there for years..
The US guv'mint knocked on their doors and said " we are taking your property thru' " right of eminent domain"....yep, that's right...what followed was a lengthy battle to determine an appropriate value for these homes....a loosing battle for the homeowners.
In the end off course....all the homes were taken...demolished and a new shipping terminal constructed....

seems like most countries do as they damn well please...
Still totally off topic.
You have never watched 'The Castle'? You should.

Whadayaknow about lead?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:38   #182

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
back when I was a working stiff....I was involved with a port expansion here in the good 'ole USA. Standing in the way of the port expansion were about two dozen homes...homes that had been there for years..
The US guv'mint knocked on their doors and said " we are taking your property thru' " right of eminent domain"....yep, that's right...what followed was a lengthy battle to determine an appropriate value for these homes....a loosing battle for the homeowners.
In the end off course....all the homes were taken...demolished and a new shipping terminal constructed....

seems like most countries do as they damn well please...
Not quite sure what your point is nor why this was posted. But I think you meant 'Governments' do what they want, rather than 'countries'. That's always been the case, nothing new to see here really.

Sadly people do have to give up their homes for roads and all sorts of other public works. What's the alternative?

But at least in democracies there are elections to change members of the Government and the right to take a Government to Court. That's not so in many countries of the world.
Old 14-02-2022, 16:51   #183
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've been "boarded" several times...by both the USCG and the Customs and Border Control folk. I don't recall them ever asking "please". They weren't unfriendly, but very much business focused. They will be armed to the teeth, and have one or more officers on their own vessel keeping an eyeball on you. At night you won't even know they are there, until a gazillion candlelight spotlight is trained on you.
I have not been perturbed about the boardings. From my point of view, these are dedicated people doing a difficult and dangerous job. Kudo's to them.
When all is said and done, flying a US flag from your stern, is hands down, the best country to flag.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:52   #184

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I did have two Epirbs on my boat.

One from the USA from the Previous owner that was registered with the US Coast guard,
That meant the USA sent out the cavalry to do any rescue,

One with Australian Registration, that was registered to me with the Australian Govt who sent out the Australian rescue services,

I couldnt use the USA Epirb as It wasnt registered to me in my name, But it was connected with my boat,
But they would notify the Australian Rescue service to save my neck if I did use the USA Epirb,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 18:47   #185

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEASE View Post
This is a very interesting thread. One thing occurs to me (forgive me if it was covered - I tried to read the whole thing); if you're Epirb goes off, doesn't the alarm ring in your flag country marine rescue authority? Pretty sure mmsi registrations are all linked to flag.

This would surely be something to consider, in terms of resources and training of the particular country's responsible authority, against convenience?

Our do I have this wrong?

By the way,,,Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 04:44   #186
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
An EPIRB registration is linked to your boat’s MMSI and registration for identification of the boat during an emergency call, but it is a separate registration and generally follows the EPIRB’s country of purchase and use. So the emergency notification goes first to the EPIRB’s registration country’s marine rescue authority.

As a personal example, our boat registration is with GBR. Our primary EPIRB was purchased and registered in New Zealand. Our current location is Australia. So if we were to activate our EPIRB the signal would go to the NZ Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), which would transfer the call to the Australian MRCC. The rescue would be coordinated by Australia. The UK MRCC would not be notified as it is not in the rescue area.

This would not be usual. Most epirb registration databases are national and only available to the flag of the ship. Ie of you register in Poland. You will get a polish MMSI and radio call sign. You can only register your epirb in Poland and a handful of register it’s that accept third country registrations. My plb is registered in the USA.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:09   #187

Boat: CARABELA 650, previous Colvic Springtide 24 - modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builderdood1 View Post
I currently am flagged/registered in Panama.
Looking for a better country to register in which has little or no import cost, doesn't require you or your boat to be present and has a reasonable fee.
Panama's fees are getting out of hand.

Thank you for input..
The Polish flag (Reja24 register) is very convinient for pleasure crafts (no business use) with hull up to 15m long. One time procedure, no renewals or inspections required. Email me if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish Yacht Certificate20210110.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	263960  
Old 06-09-2022, 02:10   #188

Boat: Chartering so far

Hey! I will need a business one to charter the yacht with skipper.
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote