Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2022, 06:47   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Best Sailboat Generator?

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a new generator... do you guys have any recommendations? I know that the honda 2200i is a popular choice from past research, but I've also heard that they can possibly explode around salt water. Does anyone know about this and if Honda has fixed this issue in new models? If not, do you guys have any other alternatives for a solid generator? I'd like one that's quiet, with good fuel economy and has a decent size tank (can last through the night). Thanks in advance for any information !
LandoLeavesLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:16   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Best Sailboat Generator?

Explode around seawater? That's a new one! Corrode, yes. Explode? I doubt it. They all run on gasoline, maybe that was the issue. Brand doesn't matter on that. Anyway, if corrosion or durability in the marine environment is your concern, I'd think any brand would be about the same. You can keep it covered or stowed to keep the rain off but not much you can do about salt air. On my old boat I ran a Predator 2000 inverter generator from Harbor Freight for a couple years. Seemed every bit as good as my friend's Honda at about half the cost. New boat has a built in generator so I sold the HF one with the old boat. One of the selling features was the extended warranty, the clerk told me I could bring the unit back after two years for exchange even if nothing was wrong with it, which I did. They didn't even ask why I was returning it, just have me a new one. I doubt you'd get that from Honda. If I was sailing where there weren't any HF stores, I'd probably spring for a Honda or Yamaha, but I'm not so I didn't. (The Yamaha is said to be quieter than the Honda.)
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:24   #3

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Had a Honda EU1000 aboard for 20+ years in salt and fresh air, always covered or downstairs. No issues, except there are times I needed extra watts.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:35   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Northern Lights is the best generator for a sailboat.

But a lot of people seem to like the Hondas also.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:44   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Best Sailboat Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Northern Lights is the best generator for a sailboat.

But a lot of people seem to like the Hondas also.

I’m not sure that NL could be considered the best generator for a sailboat when their lightest models weighs 371lb which is more than the main engine on the largest boat I would consider buying.

https://www.northern-lights.com/wp-c...2-M673LD3G.pdf
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:46   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I’m not sure that NL could be considered the best generator for a sailboat when their lightest models weighs 371lb which is more than the main engine on the largest boat I would consider buying.

https://www.northern-lights.com/wp-c...2-M673LD3G.pdf
Depends on the boat, which is not listed at all in the original post.

Northern lights is the standard for reliability and ease of repair and maintenance in diesel generators however.

It runs at a nice 1800 RPMs and lasts forever.

That’s partly why it weighs so much. They don’t overtax the engine. They put a nice big engine in it and run at a low RPM to create an extremely reliable generator.

All those other ones that are lightweight that you see breaking down a lot use a different, high rpm design philosophy
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 08:05   #7

Boat: Nordic 40

Thanks ! ... here is what is said about the honda generators that had me concerned : Hazard: The portable generator's inverter assembly can short circuit with the presence of salt water. This causes the unit to smoke or catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. ... so not exactly explode ... but fire !?!
LandoLeavesLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 08:05   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

So it’s not the best for sailboats, it’s the best for boats above a certain size and for certain use cases maybe?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 08:08   #9

Of course the "best", disregarding any other factors, would be a built in, water cooled diesel genset and Northern Lights is arguably the best of those. But not everyone can do that which is why the portables exist in the first place. I went from a Columbia 36 with no room for a built in to a 41 for motor yacht with an Onan 7.5 kw diesel built in. The Predator on the Columbia worked well, but the Onan is better.
Old 26-03-2022, 08:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLeavesLand View Post
Thanks ! ... here is what is said about the honda generators that had me concerned : Hazard: The portable generator's inverter assembly can short circuit with the presence of salt water. This causes the unit to smoke or catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. ... so not exactly explode ... but fire !?!
Again I wonder if any brand might be as bad on that. None of them are actually spec'd by their makers for marine use. I ran mine on fresh water so no salt, but it did get left out in the rain a couple times with no problems. I'd think a good salt wave would take any of them out.
Old 26-03-2022, 08:24   #11

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

We have a 13.5 kW diesel Onan aboard our sailboat. Marine rated.
Old 26-03-2022, 08:31   #12

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

The OP said to run overnight. Might be a good time to bring up the subject of consideration of other people, anchorages, noises, quietness, odors / smell, etc...
Old 26-03-2022, 09:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
The OP said to run overnight. Might be a good time to bring up the subject of consideration of other people, anchorages, noises, quietness, odors / smell, etc...
Along with slapping halyards, wind generators, etc.

Due to CO risk, it would have to be awfully damned cold (or hot) before I'd go to sleep with any kind of fuel burning generator running. And gasoline is worse than diesel in that respect. I use mine to run the battery charger, water heater, etc during the day but it's shut off before bed time.
Old 26-03-2022, 10:25   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Definitely not the cheapest option but I’d consider an Ecoflow setup with the Delta Max or Delta Pro. Large batteries than can power a lot, get a spare, and then get their generator. It’s an electric start and can automatically see the battery levels to turn on when they need charging. Pretty convenient for overnight as when you run out of juice, it will handle itself and not run forever.

I have two batteries but went with a smaller AC so I can run all night without recharging. Then use the trusty Honda in the morning or evening to top off the batteries for the night.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 12:02   #15

There has been a lot of discussion as to the best portable generator, Chinese or Honda. All I can say is that my Honda 1000i has served us for ~20 years. My brother buys Harbor Freight, your local Chinese distributor and replaces them every year. Your pick.

I've never heard of a generator exploding, including the alternator. When I'm on the boat, I store it in a heavy trash bag. When I'm at home I drain the carb. On any small engine, change the oil frequently.

And only buy an inverter model. They'll idle down under a small load and you can't hear them.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, generator, sail, sailboat