Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 09:20   #1

Best Seller Sailboat

Hy guys,
This is my first thread!
My name is Tiziana, I'm a MBA student from Italy and I'm writing you because I need your opinion!
I'm working on a project on the Bavaria and Cantiere del Pardo (Grand Soleil and Dufour) sailing boat group. My project consist in studying a strategy to relaunch these brand in the US market and to prepare the relative business plan.
Before prepare a plan, I need to understand the current situation and I would really appreciate if you could answer to these 3 questions:
1) Which is the most sold sailboat and which feature Americans like more in a sailboat
2) why in your opinion Bavaria did not have a great success in the US market
3) what in your opinion Bavaria should do to growth in the US sailing boat market.
Obviously, every other information or opinion that you would like to share with me will be strongly appreciated.
Thank you guys for your time, I would really appreciate any help you can give me .
Tiziana
tiziana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Best Seller Sailboat

What did the Bavaria folks do in Cypruss....seems like every third boat in the marinas are Bavaria.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 11:21   #3

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Tiziana, welcome! I can't prove it but I think Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteau would be the best sellers. The reason for Bavaria's poor reception in the US boat market would be the sail-drive power systems and spartan interiors. These are just MY opinions based on South Florida Boat Shows and fellow maritime contacts. Ocean Yachts (power boats) turned their sales record around by having a woman design and decorate the interiors. Americans are "comfort oriented" and seem to purchase accordingly. Hope this helps and I apologize for having no statistics to back up my opinions.
All the best,'Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Tiziana;

The best marekting these days is word of mouth, and internet. This means that people have to hear or read accounts of sailing their boat, a Bavaria in your case, and how great it was/is, etc. An active cruiser out there with blogs is a very powerful marketing tool.

Of course, we are prepping to go cruising in our Wauquiez Pretorien, but would welcome a new boat to use instead..... ;>

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:24   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiziana View Post
1) Which is the most sold sailboat and which feature Americans like more in a sailboat
2) why in your opinion Bavaria did not have a great success in the US market - need to get them into the Carribbean charter fleets.
3) what in your opinion Bavaria should do to growth in the US sailing boat market.
I would concentrate on the marketing. Americans respond well to that

For that I would look to get Bavarias into sailing schools and the Charter Market. And maybe even creating some one design races - with a family / cruising bent...or piggy back on existing events by providing support to those with Bavarias.

I'd also find enough reasons to wrap the Bavaria in an American flag. even if that is only screwing the US spec mug holders on . Maybe also with a specific US branded range (the "USA No.1" range) - American "can do" married with German design (deliberately not mentioning where built )........but doesn't actually have to be anything special, in fact the more middle of the road the better. Maybe the difference being designed to be wipe clean (with a hosepipe ) and the bare bones look sold as a "Family Racer".....with lots of factory options (as OE and for retrofit). that way can sell less for more

and some garish graphics
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:34   #6

Boat: Hunter 430

I completely agree with Clifford Sloan.....the interiors look like they were designed by Ikea.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Seller Sailboat

I'm not American but have met quite a few... back in 2006 I bought a 2001 Beneteau 331 in the BVI's.. Tortola...
I then sailed to St Martin where I got to know an American couple who'd just bought a Bavaria of the same size and age... we visited each others boats and the first thing the woman said when we went below was... "Wow... I wish we'd bought a Beneteau..". We'd each paid the same price for our boats....
When I visited their boat I understood why... the galley was cramped and if someone was working there you could not get through to thr aft berth... generally the whole interior was badly planned and not to the same standard as the Beneteaus...
Resolve the interior and you may do better... also remember the Amaricans are generally a lot bigger built than Europeans.. and they don't like having to squeeze their way around things...
Best Sellers..?? Beneteaus and Hunters

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:12   #8

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I always loved older Bavaria's, the mate thought they were boring and sterile. The new boats seem like cookie cutter racers and I have adopted the mates opinion. But I must clarify that new boats have always been out of our financial equation. I will never own a saildrive as long as there are options. Good Luck.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:26   #9

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm not American but have met quite a few... back in 2006 I bought a 2001 Beneteau 331 in the BVI's.. Tortola...
I then sailed to St Martin where I got to know an American couple who'd just bought a Bavaria of the same size and age... we visited each others boats and the first thing the woman said when we went below was... "Wow... I wish we'd bought a Beneteau..". We'd each paid the same price for our boats....
When I visited their boat I understood why... the galley was cramped and if someone was working there you could not get through to thr aft berth... generally the whole interior was badly planned and not to the same standard as the Beneteaus...
Resolve the interior and you may do better... also remember the Amaricans are generally a lot bigger built than Europeans.. and they don't like having to squeeze their way around things...
Best Sellers..?? Beneteaus and Hunters
A LOT of Americans generally have a wider "beam" than people from other countries, not just Europeans.

But I agree, newer the Beneteaus and Hunters seem to be well laid out compared to Js, Jenneaus and even the Island Packets. The newest Jennies look like a piece of plastic inside and have absoultely no warmth.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 19:26   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Seller Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
I always loved older Bavaria's, the mate thought they were boring and sterile. The new boats seem like cookie cutter racers and I have adopted the mates opinion. But I must clarify that new boats have always been out of our financial equation. I will never own a saildrive as long as there are options. Good Luck.
Only ever owned one boat with a saildrive... a Carter 30... I grew to hate it..
The Saildrive that is... the boat was great

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 10:13   #11

thank you guys for sharing your ideas with me!!
Anybody else want to share his opinion???

THANKS!
tiziana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat