Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 09:40   #16

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Boat Disposal Woes

Billknny:Plastic straws anyone?

Plastic straws are a one use item that too often finds its way back to the beaches and oceans. Do you remember the days of organic/paper straws?
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 06:03   #17

Thanks for the site list.

I'm not convinced FG is a serious soil contaminant. The fibers if glass, is derived from silica, which is the same stuff that the soil is made of. Your silica based extruded jam jar and house windows are an example. The fibers comprise of up to 2/3 of the layering in a glass hull, with the remainder an inert resin as a binder. The binder itself has different chemicals which also comprises organic acetone. If the figures at these sites are correct, what remains is probably what constitutes a pollutant, and that is probably less than 1/16 of the weight of the sample. Oil fraking alone probably leaves more and actually injects it in the subsoil.

There's a big hoopla about FG being a serious contaminate and you will note that some persuaders at these sites seem not convinced themselves on what they are expounding anyway. I detect a certain uncertainty.

So my topic in so many words asks, how much of what is said is simply a bill of goods and a money making scheme in development? Consider also that caskets have also been constructed out of the same material even from the 50's and are stacked 3 deep in some large city cemeteries spanning acres. In this separate analysis the thrust is the concern for formaldehyde accumulation and soil contamination. Rarely do I read any of these groups taking an issue about the caskets themselves. Readings should show leaching of the FG components, and none are found.

We all know that buried FG will decompose but in a method that nature has always intended it for silica, through grinding up of continental plates and earthquakes,volcanic activity and ocean grinding. Good 'ole mother earth won't see any difference between it and the other stuff it digests. Blocks of concrete will receive the same process.

We need to tell these liars we're on to them and it's a none issue.
WontCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 06:48   #18

A few years ago, I helped a friend dispose of an old boat that he had bought cheap just for the mast. We stripped it and contacted a waste/metal recycler who offered around 1200 for the lead keel. When we showed up, he said, "Uh, still attached to the boat, I'll take it off your hands for you, but I'm not paying you anything." We let him have it.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontCrawl View Post
There's a big hoopla about FG being a serious contaminate and you will note that some persuaders at these sites seem not convinced themselves on what they are expounding anyway.

What sites? What hoopla? I've never seen any site call out FG as a contaminent.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat