Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 08:50   #1

Boat names.

My 1979 C26 is named St. Nicholas. I guess it's because it has a red hull and white deck. While amusing, I don't like it. Not sure what name I would like. Perhaps no name or something about my home state Ohio. I am an avid Brown's and Buckeyes fan.

Anyone else dislike the name of a boat they purchased?

Thanks,

Bill
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:46   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Boat names.

I wasn't thrilled with the name my boat came with, but failed to come up with anything better in a reasonable time, so it stuck that way. Just remember 1) You'll have to say it on the radio with a straight face 2) You'll have to spell it phonetically on the radio at some point, so the shorter the better 3) Cutesy spellings that other people can't figure out how to pronounce will just make people think that you're a tool.

I didn't formally name my previous boat, so eventually it started thinking that its name was "Oh Sh!t!"
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:46   #3

Boat: still looking for around 35 foot

Bill.. Renaming your boat, is up to you.. There are several here in Florida that I don't like the name of and asked how I could change it.. I was told that when I go to register the boat I can put a new name on it.. My 2 cents on it would be think of something you like, or something with 2 syllables and is easy to understand over the radio. so others can understand who you are and so on..

By the way GO Buckeyes.. I was born and raised in Massillon Oh. MY mom is a tiger.
donlentz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My first boat's name was "Magic Twanger." Actually, considering the reference and looking back on it now, I guess that's not such a bad name. In fact I kinda like it. But at the time I was definitely not amused.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 20:44   #5

Thanks for the replies. I am already aware of keeping it simple and such. I was just curious if others were less than amused by their boat names.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 21:52   #6

Boat: J/42

There is a boat not far away from here that has been languishing on the market for a couple of years. A well-respected model but a half-finished project. And the name - well, let's just say that it doesn't inspire confidence in the owner's judgement. It's only a bit of paint, but seriously, I think it takes $5K - $10K off the value of the boat.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 22:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am already aware of keeping it simple and such. I was just curious if others were less than amused by their boat names.
My PO removed the boat name because he wanted to re-use it for his new trawler. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy. It was a nice Hawaiian name, but not up my alley. Our earlier boat was named "Capricorn Two" with a really poor "artsy" drawing of two cows butting heads on the transom. We just called her DOSGOATS, and never bothered. Hell, we couldn't see the hull. Almost as bad a having a yellow hull: you only have to look at it when you''re leaving in the dinghy!

Do what YOU wanna do. It's your boat now, not the PO's.

While we've all seen "cute" and sometimes funny, if not hilarious, boat names, the ones I definitely abhor are the cutesy "my girlfriend"-type names: Misty Smorgasboard or Helen Martha Jane. Hell, if ya gotta name the boat to remember your girlfriend's name, ya got bigger issues.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 00:46   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, it's happened, to us. The boat had been named "Target", then it had been changed to "No Problems". Pfui on that! She became, after due process, "Insatiable." The name was inspired by a Hagar the Horrible cartoon, the original of which is in plain view by the nav station.

A.

Tags
boat, boat names