Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 16:16   #16

Re: Boating with the famous and semi famous: Ya have any celebrity friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Acting, rock stars and wealth are fine, but they are not ranking very high in my list of achievements. I've interviewed or spoken with a few ocean racers and long-term cruisers, and that does rank high. They are generally not only very interesting people (and not just because I sail), but are more "complete" in the sense of having balanced viewpoints that are truly independent of the crazy harangue that constitutes civil discourse these days.

I think spending time on the water will do that to people. IMO spending time on board tends to make one more content and introspective. Also less enamored of the media and PR hype that gets thrown at many daily on land. I often have pinch me moments on board and yet I do feel sorry for those gathered around their TV sets at home while I'm gazing at an amazing sunset and/or sky show. I look forward to each sunset the way some on land look forward to the next broadcast of shows like "Dancing with the Stars" But, for me it's also the real stars in the night time sky of a quiet anchorage I am truly in awe of.
Old 15-04-2012, 16:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosimp3 View Post
I sail with Captain Morgan, Jim Beam, and the Kraken all the time!
Quite an "entourage" you've got there. Sailor Jerry travels on board with me.
Old 15-04-2012, 17:40   #18
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
GOSSOP!!!!!!!!!!! I always wonder Who Cares- people are much the same famous or not!
Seems to me we all need to look at our self more !
Everybody in life has a great story to tell if you just listen Ram.

Some can only criticize others because it's easy to urinate on others experiences especially if one lacks original thought and as is 3000 miles away.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:06   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If the non-famous could be passed on a social disease by having their hands shaken by the famous, then everyone would become infected eventually.

It's interesting how some become enamored with the famous and others not.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:07   #20

I'm in awe of celebrities too. I just saw Jimmy Cornell & Bob Bitchin at the boat this year and other shows I've seen Lynn & Larry Pardee & Margo from Charlie's Charts. These people have done some really big things to me. I gotta say I was a bit star struck. Guess it's all who we consider stars.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 23:48   #21

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Funny guy.

We will liberate that bottle of Scotch for ya soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i'm very fond of the rich and famous who have super yachts,and especially the people who crew on their yachts....over the years the rich and famous have given me many thousands of dollars worth of stuff from their yachts...

mainly donated by captains,bosuns,stewardesses,who after visiting "salamandra" and been able to have a bit of a party and let their hair down away from the owners,are only too happy to liberate their ships stores..............for a good cause.....
Old 16-04-2012, 00:04   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I’m sensing a kind of reverse snobbery here that generalizes famous or wealthy people in a 2 dimensional way….. Bit sad to view other’s success like that.

I find that on the water, they are much more relaxed, very appreciative of the quiet solitude being at sea gives them, but never able to be completely unguarded, which I guess is the price they pay for their social status.

Reading some of these posts, I can understand why.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 01:01   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

it takes a few generations for the neuveau to become multi dimentional,and pass through the eye of the needle on their way to heaven..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 02:25   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I’m sensing a kind of reverse snobbery here that generalizes famous or wealthy people in a 2 dimensional way….. Bit sad to view other’s success like that.

I find that on the water, they are much more relaxed, very appreciative of the quiet solitude being at sea gives them, but never able to be completely unguarded, which I guess is the price they pay for their social status.

Reading some of these posts, I can understand why.
I dunno, some people can be stuck up own backside - and IME a disease that does tend to afflict those with money (and celebrity "status" ) more than those towards the other end of the financial scale - albeit by no means all............the bottom line has always been that one thing that money can't buy ya is "class"........as I was saying to Bono and Lady Gaga only the other day .

Having said that, plenty of folks around on the brassic end of the financial scale who not only turn neccesity into a virtue - but then make it into a "lifestyle" to beat others with .

But each to their own . if I get on with "you" (no matter the size of our bank balances or celebrity status) all well and good - if not, then we probably care as much as each other .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 02:33   #25

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I just think it is unfortunate to have trotted out tales of celebrity's personal lives. Everyone deserves a bit of privacy and to tell tales of where they drink of worse yet, what surgeries they've had is an invasion of their privacy. If someone I was kind to, so far as helping get their truck sorted was on an internet forum telling everyone about the state of my bladder I probably wouldn't be so gracious in the future.

If you are sailing with the famous/not so famous chances are they are spending time on the water to get away from all the hype. Be a shame to take that refuge from them- no matter who they are.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 02:42   #26

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I kinda know Anjou. I replied to one of her threads once. So eat yer hearts out.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 03:13   #27

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Mark J and me are buddies.

Im privvy to a few secrets about several people here, and all I can say is, ....all of life is represented on CF just as it is in the rest of the real world.

If your made of the 'right' stuff its vulgar to mention money and status, if you need money and status to give you bragging rights, you clearly give yourself away.

Name dropping is also such bad form, and ironically, The Duchess of Cambridge and I were discussing this very subject only the other day.

Its not big or clever to kiss and tell.

(ps, my new blog is coming soon, with more gossip than you will ever believe)
Old 16-04-2012, 04:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i'm very fond of the rich and famous who have super yachts,and especially the people who crew on their yachts....over the years the rich and famous have given me many thousands of dollars worth of stuff from their yachts...

mainly donated by captains,bosuns,stewardesses,who after visiting "salamandra" and been able to have a bit of a party and let their hair down away from the owners,are only too happy to liberate their ships stores..............for a good cause.....
Aye. That's happened to me too. I was provisioning for a two week cruise at the dock. When a few of the crew of a super yacht docked nearby showed up with some goodies from the boats freezer. They were going to reprovision and wanted clear out the freezer. Rather than just throw out the food they asked if we would like some of it. One of the few times I wish I had big freezer on board. Had to turn down a lot of it because I had no more room. We were really roughing it for a few days having to have shrimp for several meals and appetizers. I've also had the crew from some of the yachts come by and just gam on occassion too. A lot seem to be working for the day when they have enough saved up for their own boat and are able to sail on their own schedule.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:18   #29

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

Name dropping is also such bad form, and ironically, The Duchess of Cambridge and I were discussing this very subject only the other day.

Its not big or clever to kiss and tell.

(ps, my new blog is coming soon, with more gossip than you will ever believe)
Sitting on my verandah, and looking across Castle Harbour, I can see the homes of 7 major international financial persons , who all provide Google with pages of exploits.
We all have a deal, they don't flush in my bay, and I don't flush in theirs.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:27   #30

Boat: Tartan 4100

"Ya have any celebrity friends? "

If I chose to blab over the internet about my experiences with them, they wouldn't be "friends" now would they? Or at least I would be a very good friend.........
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating