Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 19:38   #16

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Bought my first sail boat, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Now you've bought an older boat, the best sailing magazine to subscribe to is "Good Old Boat" ... they cover all the boats we speak of here on CF & give pretty good information.

I've subscribed to many boating magazines over the years & eventually dropped all of them except G.O.B.

Have fun with your 'new' boat.

Definitely agree
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:18   #17

Boat: 1973 Tanzer 22'

There is a Tanzer Yahoo group and a Tanzer Facebook page. You can download and print the manual from the Tanzer 22 Class Association under "library".
Hypernette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 14:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Congratulations!

This is just a guess, but may I comment on your trailer? Boat trailers frequently get left out of the maintenance cycle because they just sit there. However, before you tow your boat any distance, please check the following:
  1. Look at the sidewalls to make sure the tires are cracked. Replace them if they have a checkered appearance.
  2. Trailer tires are generally pumped up to 50-65psi. Look up the recommended pressure. Don't trailer your boat with underinflated tires.
  3. Trailer bearings are reasonably easy to service. Hardest part is getting the cotter pin off the end of the axle. Consider servicing the bearings before you go anywhere.
  4. Make sure the bunks make consistent contact with the hull and don't deflect the hull where they are out of adjustment.

Have a blast, and keep us in the loop.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 14:51   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You bought a great boat! Looks like you got the swing keel version on a double axle trailer. WOW. You are set for life...that is a great boat.

Mostly you'll only need to know how to scrub and clean. What else is there on a T22? It doesn't need an electrical system (just get a good flashlight instead) and has no inboard engine.

Really, you are going to have a great time on that boat. Its fast, forgiving, and fun. Your biggest problem will be all the people coming by to say how they used to have/sail on one...like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T22.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	149121  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:12   #20

Boat: Catalina 27

I was in the same spot a year ago with a Lancer 25. Had a great time with her and now I'm moving up to a bigger lady (just not sure which one yet).

I'm in Sherwood, so if you're looking for another warm body who's made a few mistakes, I'm game. Just fair warning, I don't know much more than you guys.
barefootbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 19:01   #21

Boat: Tanzer 22

Yep. It's a swing keel.

I will consider it a huge success to just get it rigged and sails raised.

BareFootBandit. I sent you a PM.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 20:22   #22

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Life Jackets!

Um, and BEER!

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 21:55   #23

Boat: Precision 18

Noah-
Step the mast, give yourself (and crew) half a day to do it or so. It may take less time, it may take more time.

After you're done, grab the aforementioned beers, and have a "yard sail", and go over what went well, and what didn't, and write it down if you need to so you have a set of efficient steps to setting up.

Enjoy trailersailing! While the size of the boats can limit us a little bit, we trailer sailors also have the option of checking out a lot of new waters, especially as we get more efficient at setup/takedown of our rigs.

Again, have fun, and take the trailer maintenance mentioned by another member to heart- I almost lost a boat to a bad tire!
olaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23   #24

There are several youtube videos out there that show how to fabricate and operate a one-man mast step system. Do that youtube search, and be amazed. Next week, I will try one of the systems that I saw. I was Blessed to find that the Merit 25 that I bought came with TWO jib poles that will work perfectly as the forward triangle that you will see in some of the videos, but you can fabricate the same for very little money.

I'll try to find the best system video I found, and include it in a future post. Otherwise, I will video the "adventure" as I step my mast, next week.

If anyone else has seen what I'm talking about, help this Brother out with a link.

By the way, I sail KY Lake, a bit North of you, out of Lighthouse Landing, in Grand Rivers, KY. You guys are more than welcome to join me, and a few other of us scalawags that rip up the waters up here. If nothing else, you will surely learn how to have a very good time!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:30   #25

I can't believe I found this that quick. Sometimes I amaze myself. When you get to the video, you will find many other videos of different ways other trailer sailors have "engineered" easy ways to lower and raise their masts. Enjoy

Old 05-06-2017, 06:43   #26

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Does the boat have the required flares? The flare gun type have an expiration date. I suggest instead of buying new ones, change over to the relatively new electronic SOS signaling device that uses "C" batteries and flashes Morse Code SOS. It comes with an International Orange flag for daytime distress signal. Coast Guard approved. No more buying pyrotechnic flares and smoke signals. Just replace batteries every year. Around $100.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail