Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 09:48   #136

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: California bans the sale of Denatured Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Don

First I respect your posts.

The argument was placed prior in this thread that due to the large population the draws on resources caused a lot of regulations to be placed. I concede this point. Especially in southern California.

Large populations and limited resources = more regulations.

I've found other places to live (ensenada mx or hilo hi) with similar weather and less regulation.
Ok , no worries, but I’d just say that is not exclusive to California, or even the USA. But that is all for another thread... or forum, really!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
The folks in Silicon Valley who are literally responsible for inventing and .....
Well you learn something new everyday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:11   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh and California is running adverts on British TV stating how wonderful life is so come and join us

Is this the sort of thing you want your state to be saying and you paying for?

How is the sailing btw?

Pete
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06   #139

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

How is the sailing btw?

Pete
Horrible! SF is cold and foggy with not a jot, whit or tittle of wind, farther south, no wind and no good islands to see, horrible weather and lousy beaches. Stay away
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:38   #140

Quote:
Well you learn something new everyday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
And all along I thought it was Al Gore

I'm happy to acknowledge Tim Berners as having invented the first version of the internet, most of us have for years. I used a somewhat early version of it back in the early 90s, and while it was good enough for us electrical engineering students to communicate back and forth with other gEEks, it certainly wasn't something that 98% of the folks here would have/could have used and there was zero infrastructure. What we did have required the tech that Intel and HP and Cisco and the rest had already developed over the previous 25 years or so. It took the Valley to develop the myriad products and underlying infrastructure we all depend on to be able to pontificate today, although as was pointed out it might have been a couple valleys in CA that were responsible
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:49   #141

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Rob,
Dah! I guess I am as dumb as a rock, What on earth does this have to do with denatured alcohol.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 18:05   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Rob,
Dah! I guess I am as dumb as a rock, What on earth does this have to do with denatured alcohol.
Massive thread drift. TLDR there is nothing to indicate that denatured alcohol has been "banned" in CA unless your political beliefs demand you believe it has been, at which point you're impervious to reason. Otherwise, for the rest of us it's available at a number of stores and by ordering online, although there are some spot shortages most probably caused by people who worked themselves into a frenzy over the supposed "ban" and made a run on their local hardware store.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 20:57   #143

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

More thread drift?
I remember seeing Johnny Carson's monologue one night which started a 3 week nationwide toilet paper shortage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=UZLjUEBuUQY

https://priceonomics.com/the-great-t...scare-of-1973/

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 22:23   #144

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Oh and California is running adverts on British TV stating how wonderful life is so come and join us

Is this the sort of thing you want your state to be saying and you paying for?

How is the sailing btw?

Pete
We don't mind visitors with return tickets in hand, today was kind of chilly only 68 F., I thought about putting a shirt on but it passed, winds were light but steady mostly 10-12 knots with some gusts to 15-17. Long rolling swells but no chop, surface conditions perfect, hull speed with a giant laminate genny. Took my 12 YO grand niece (nephews daughter) sailing then went for dinner and a swim at a friend's house. Yesterday was just as nice but more wind and some vigorous chop. Yeah, it's been good all week, life is wonderful isn't it ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 23:52   #145

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Horrible! SF is cold and foggy with not a jot, whit or tittle of wind, farther south, no wind and no good islands to see, horrible weather and lousy beaches. Stay away
Eeeewwww and you can't even buy cooking fuel what do you use, disposable BBQs? no wonder it's smoggy.

Have you thought about a Calexit like the British Brexit? you guys are quite good at winning independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
We don't mind visitors with return tickets in hand, today was kind of chilly only 68 F., I thought about putting a shirt on but it passed, winds were light but steady mostly 10-12 knots with some gusts to 15-17. Long rolling swells but no chop, surface conditions perfect,
Way too hot for us, I think we are more PNW people, but the light winds does explain how you all have coffee machines on the go 24/7. I prefer a flask of hot chocolate, easier to pour wearing mits cowering under the sprayhood.

Pete
Old 06-10-2019, 01:06   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
You may have noticed that so many people find this an attractive place to live that it has become crowded. More people want to live and work here than there are houses available so we have a housing crisis.
ummm...the housing crisis is due to govt rules that make building more houses expensive to impossible.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:25   #147

A couple of other thoughts:
- When business' see the writing on the wall, they often take advance action. They don't want to be sitting on a large stock of product, that they can't legally sell. Anyone want to bet on what the eventual outcome of CARB will be...no matter what public opinion is?
- Size of the economy: Ever wonder how big it would be if the water and power resources they get from other states were bought on the open market? Likewise, would the port shipments move to Washington/Oregon? It's silly to talk about them as if they are an independent economy. If cut off from the USA, California would survive but would take a huge hit economically and likely would drop way back on the list.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:17   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
ummm...the housing crisis is due to govt rules that make building more houses expensive to impossible.

No, the housing crisis in Bay area and southern CA is because so many people want to move there for the nice weather, recreational and cultural potential, and for great jobs. Gov't current failing there is in not promoting the construction of affordable housing, and not having more commuter transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

- Size of the economy: Ever wonder how big it would be if the water and power resources they get from other states were bought on the open market?... If cut off from the USA, California would survive but would take a huge hit economically and likely would drop way back on the list.

What? If CA was an independent economy, neighbours would still happily trade with them. tech, veggies, medical...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36   #149
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
No, the housing crisis in Bay area and southern CA is because so many people want to move there for the nice weather, recreational and cultural potential, and for great jobs.
Right. Ask any realtor: "What are the three main factors affecting the value of a home?"

1. Location
  2. Location
  3. Location
Homes are cheaper in less desirable locations. Want a cheaper home? Just move someplace where you'll be miserable. You won't find any housing shortages there.

Market economics at work.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44   #150

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
More thread drift?
I remember seeing Johnny Carson's monologue one night which started a 3 week nationwide toilet paper shortage.
Ha, ha, ha. That was perfect. This was even pre-internet so we can't blame it on that. "I heard it from a cab driver." Isn't that how most of us get our news?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, grass, sale