Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2021, 15:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Canadian Buying in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer666 View Post
Hi all. I'm a Canuck that is planning to purchase in Florida to spend a few seasons in the Bahamas. I've done some searching with no success and wonder if anyone might be able to direct me to some resources to begin to get a handle on the necessary paperwork/requirements. Love to hear from some fellow Canadians who have purchased in FL.

Cheers!
If you license or register the boat in Canada no GST/HST or duties are payable til' the vessel hits Canadian Water (if ever).

If the boat is a monohull less the 15m You can do a self measurement for tonnage if you choose registry over licensing other wise you will need to hire a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measuer. Licensing requires no Tonnage Measurement.

If time becomes an issue to leave Florida to avoid their taxes You can apply to Transport Canada for a Provisional Registry that you can get within a couple of days.

When you bring the boat back to Canada Customs will demand HST/GST on the spot.If the boat was built in NA there are no duties if a Taiwan,European or other foreign boat ... 9.6% duty. HST is calculated on top of value and duty.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
First step is to get a buyers broker. It costs you nothing as he/she is paid by the seller’s broker. A good one will know all the in and outs of a Canadian purchasing a US boat.
Yes - my challenge being in Canada is not knowing exactly where to start to find a "good one". Any suggestions (names, resources...) would be gratefully accepted!

Cheers!
Privateer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:46   #18

Came across this. A bit more information - and seems consistent with the wonderful responses above (thank you all!).

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-199890-2.html
Privateer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:02   #19

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

So perhaps my situation is a bit different but here goes. I’m a Canadian citizen living in the USA as a Permanent Resident Alien. I am now enjoying my second Canadian registered sailing vessel. Both were purchased in the US as USCG documented vessels.
To register in Canada you will need a LOD, Letter of Deletion from USCG applied for with your bill of sale.
I recommend using a documentation agent as they know the ropes often even a bit better than some brokers.
As mentioned above you can pay state sales tax and be clear in Florida state terms.
If you’re looking join any number of Facebook sailing groups. I just happen to Admin a 2k strong group, Irwin Sailboats. Come join us, I tell most that they’ll think they’re in a Canadian group as everyone is so polite.��
Good luck with your search, and registration. See you “down island.”
Old 02-09-2021, 11:35   #20

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I bought a boat in Florida and avoided the taxes by going to Georgia before the 90 day window expired. I did a refit there in a marina and nobody from Georgia ever said anything to me and after 5 months I sailed off to the Bahamas and then points further south. Didnt come back until I sold the boat and never paid any tax at all.

All of the brokers in Florida know these rules in their sleep and can take care of the bureaucracy. If you get a broker who doesnt know, then you need another broker.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, florida