Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 13:57   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

Does anyone know of CBD is an effective emetic?

I’m not sure which chemicals are responsible for these effects.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-02-2021, 14:56   #32

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
First, in the US the use and possession of cannabis is illegal for any reason. and federal laws always supersedes any state laws.

Does anyone here think that with the addiction epidemic that we have that this is going to make things better?

Abe
The first quote does not hold water. The supremacy clause is a complicated piece of law. And there are numerous criteria that has to be met.
https://www.heritage.org/constitutio...premacy-clause

Second, your addiction epidemic are because of sinister pharma companies pushing oxycondone and oxycontine as non dangerous, non addicting meds , while the fact is that they are of the most addicting substances known to man. The fact that you allow pharma companies to pay provision to doctors prescribing oxy , while you put teens in jail for smoking pot is mind-boggling.

I understand that this is a sore subject to many people , but the fact is that there is no statistical evidence that prohibition is in any way linked to reduced availability or reduced harm, but lots of statistical evidence implying the opposite.

I do not advise anyone to break any laws of the country they are cruising in , even not conflicting ones , as the risk is just to great.

But let's be factual and not emotional. The damages done by cannabis (and any other illegal drug) just isn't measureable compared to those of alcohol and prescription medications.

There are numerous european country who has decriminalized cannabis , some that has decriminalized all drugs, and in all countries the death toll has plummeted.

In none of the countries has the use of drugs skyrocketed , most countries report a decline in the use of hard drugs and alcohol , and a slight increase in cannabis use.

https://time.com/longform/portugal-d...iminalization/

.manitu
Old 20-02-2021, 15:03   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not believe marijuana cures seasickness. Have a friend who smokes it. We went sailing on the harbour he vomited all the way. Nobody else did. Imho it is another urban legend.

I know some forms of marijuana work as advertised. Seen a guy take oil when he had very bad spinal pain. At least he fell asleep and his body got some rest.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-02-2021, 13:20   #34

Boat: SUN MAID 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not believe marijuana cures seasickness. Have a friend who smokes it. We went sailing on the harbour he vomited all the way. Nobody else did. Imho it is another urban legend.

I know some forms of marijuana work as advertised. Seen a guy take oil when he had very bad spinal pain. At least he fell asleep and his body got some rest.
No medication affects everybody the same way. The community benefits from a variety of choices. Some members have commented about the ginger remedy working, but my wife reacts poorly, as I commented earlier.
For myself & cannabis, I will never take it. I tried it recreationally decades ago, & reacted with severe vomitting. A small number of people have severe psychotic reactions. I expect the various cannabis oil preparations have less risk.

It should really all about choice, so individuals can find a solution for themselves.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-02-2021, 15:39   #35

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
The first quote does not hold water. The supremacy clause is a complicated piece of law. And there are numerous criteria that has to be met.
https://www.heritage.org/constitutio...premacy-clause
If a boat is boarded by the USCG in US waters and found to have marijuana onboard penalties can include jail, fines, revocation of licenses, and confiscation of property. That sir, is a fact. (If in doubt...ask any UCSG officer.)

In the US, federal law classified marijuana as an illegal substance long before state laws attempted to override the federal law, and federal laws are not attempting to preempt state law. So, conflict with the "supremacy clause" is a red-herring and nonsensical argument. From your own reference it states, "...as a matter of original meaning, the principle of federal regulatory supremacy over state law is now firmly established."

(BTW...this is the same reason why pot shops cannot utilize US banking institutions that are FDIC insured.)

I have no skin in the game either-way...but just clarifying for those who might think because some state passed a law stating marijuana is legal within that state, and someone on a forum misinterprets the supremacy clause that it's ok to smoke a joint...you'd be wrong. And oh...the same laws that govern BUI for alcohol also apply for marijuana. So, if local law enforcement sees you smoking a joint while boating, they can stop and board you, and if they really wanted to be nasty...also call upon the USCG to respond to throw in a federal offense.
Old 21-02-2021, 20:22   #36

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Well. The control of substances was not originally in the federal mandate , and the states had to ratify the Harrison act before it became state law.

If states do not have the power to govern themselves on matters that are delegated to the states by the constitution, you are in fact a country , and not united states.

Now I'm no lawyer, But the only thing I can see forcing the states to accept federal law in this case , is the ratified UN agreement. (which numerous other countries has left.)

Anyway, all I said was that the quote is incorrect , not that the conclusion is wrong (federal law does not ALLWAYS trumph state law, although it might do so in this case).

Now , please tell me where I advocated sailing stoned?

I will NEVER sail stoned , and certainly not drunk or on prescription meds, nor recomend any one to do so. If you read my post, I think I made it clear.

edit: removed argument wich could be considered rude.

.manitu
Old 22-02-2021, 06:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
And much less harmful than alcohol both on the body as well as in the community. Stone folks don’t go around puking and fighting.
They don't go around puking, but the idea that people high on marijuana don't do stupid things like fight and commit crimes is one of the strangest notions I've ever heard, after a lifetime in law enforcement.

I think this comes from people who mostly hang around good people, and think the rest of the world are just like their friends, when they are high on marijuana (unless you have friends that murder people while drunk, that you think wouldn't have done it if they had been high instead).

I've worked plenty of murders where the guy who did it, was high on marijuana. And, yes, a lot more that did it while drunk on alcohol, without a doubt (and a lot, who tested positive for both). But, I have no doubt that will continue to trend upward as more and more places de-criminalize marijuana.

But, I think it's pretty obvious that the trend is to eventually de-criminalize all drug use (California is already doing that, as a practical matter, and they usually are out ahead on that stuff), including marijuana, so it's going to happen, good or bad. I accept that inevitability.

But, don't try to shine me.
Old 08-04-2021, 00:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Does anyone know of CBD is an effective emetic?

I’m not sure which chemicals are responsible for these effects.
It can vary by person. As for me, oil is not so effective as edibles. I tried CBD gummies and they worked for me. There are lots of versions, so if you're really interested, you need to try smth to know what works for you if any. Nevertheless, the product shuld be safe and high-quality. My another tip is ginger. It's also natural way to cope with seasickness. It can be powdered ginger caplets, patches, pills or even real ginger soda or tea. Good luck!
KateMid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2021, 01:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMid View Post
It can vary by person. As for me, oil is not so effective as edibles. I tried CBD gummies and they worked for me. There are lots of versions, so if you're really interested, you need to try smth to know what works for you if any. Nevertheless, the product shuld be safe and high-quality. My another tip is ginger. It's also natural way to cope with seasickness. It can be powdered ginger caplets, patches, pills or even real ginger soda or tea. Good luck!
As for the gummies I use, they are from Gold Bee. They have certified products, maybe that's why they were ok for me.
KateMid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2021, 05:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Seeing as how weed is illegal everywhere off the coast except maybe Canada... but I don’t know that to actually be a fact, having it aboard a boat to cure seasickness and risking imprisonment and yacht seizure is about the dumbest idea I can think of.
When you are willing to potentially give up your freedom, your job, your boat, your family, and anything else, in order to ingest a particular substance, that's strong stuff.

I love chocolate like nothing you've ever seen. But, it it was made illegal tomorrow, while I would think that was wrong, and not be happy about it, I would not risk any of that stuff to keep eating it.

That's the power of drugs, though. People will do that stuff to get high. And, a lot more.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

Can't beat a good spliff to settle one down nicely.. on ones own boat I should add.
But.. with a generous mix of tobacco.. neat is for rhum..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply