Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 08:37   #31

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Cape Dory 27 circumnavigation

The Cape Dory itself shouldn't need any mods. Just bring it back to full structural integrity as already mentioned here and it will be capable.

I singlehanded my Vega 27 to/from Hawaii a few years back and had no issues. I'd comfortably take it on a circumnav.

Now, additions: I added a babystay for double headsail downwind and built a windvane out of plywood and aluminum for $50 that has worked flawlessly for over 10,000 miles and 6 years.

Go simple. Complex is unnecessary and eventually breaks anyway.
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:47   #32

Personally I would sail a season in her first and don't be shy about bad weather - it will teach you a lot. Better than spending time and money ashore and then finding out you didn't really need it.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:51   #33

Check out the book by Peter Baumgartner (?) about his restoration and travels in his CD 27 London goes to Sea
lyonsfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:58   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

I just bought a Cape Dory 27 as well, and am preparing it for ocean passages.

I did the calculations for wire size using rigger's apprentice and found that the boat need 3/16 on the upper and 5/32 for lowers. However, Alberg called for 7/32 on uppers, so already beefier than needed. Still thinking about upgrading chainplates to stainless steel or titanium deck mounted chainplates with 1/4 wire all around.

If nothing else, you can replace all the original manganese bronze chainplates from spartan for less than 500 dollars so probably worth it. https://www.spartanmarine.com/chainplates-stemheads

In addition, a bit of a small boat for this but would like to put a temporary inner forestay. Be good for mounting storm sail

I was also considering adding a compression post. The boat right now has a steel plate that spreads the load out to the wood bulkheads, but I have been considering just adding it for extra protection.

Would love to talk more about projects, PM me if you want to talk.
Old 27-04-2020, 11:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagfish View Post
The Cape Dory itself shouldn't need any mods. Just bring it back to full structural integrity as already mentioned here and it will be capable.

I singlehanded my Vega 27 to/from Hawaii a few years back and had no issues. I'd comfortably take it on a circumnav.

Now, additions: I added a babystay for double headsail downwind and built a windvane out of plywood and aluminum for $50 that has worked flawlessly for over 10,000 miles and 6 years.

Go simple. Complex is unnecessary and eventually breaks anyway.
Can you post pictures of this? Would love to try to replicate it.
Old 27-04-2020, 14:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
I just bought a Cape Dory 27 as well, and am preparing it for ocean passages.

I did the calculations for wire size using rigger's apprentice and found that the boat need 3/16 on the upper and 5/32 for lowers. However, Alberg called for 7/32 on uppers, so already beefier than needed. Still thinking about upgrading chainplates to stainless steel or titanium deck mounted chainplates with 1/4 wire all around.

If nothing else, you can replace all the original manganese bronze chainplates from spartan for less than 500 dollars so probably worth it. https://www.spartanmarine.com/chainplates-stemheads

In addition, a bit of a small boat for this but would like to put a temporary inner forestay. Be good for mounting storm sail

I was also considering adding a compression post. The boat right now has a steel plate that spreads the load out to the wood bulkheads, but I have been considering just adding it for extra protection.

Would love to talk more about projects, PM me if you want to talk.
Yes, I did the inner forestay and used it all the time on downwind tradewind wing on wing with poled-out sails. Suggest getting or making two poles. One of mine was proper whisker pole; the other wood. Both worked.

I always disconnected the inner and ran a single forestay during blows to avoid possible tangles.

Also, if upgrading rigging, suggest confirming sizes of standard eyes, etc. To ensure everything still matches.
Old 27-04-2020, 15:17   #37

Quote:
Can you post pictures of this? Would love to try to replicate it.
Here's the windvane in operation- you can see the blocks and connections to the tiller. The steering impulse is sent from the windvane to the oar in the water, which turns against the current and transmits force to the tiller via the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windvane 1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	213851  
Old 28-04-2020, 11:14   #38

Here's a photo of the homebuilt plywood/aluminum windvane as a whole. Copied the Walt Murray design and it has now worked like a champ for six years. I like $50 and elbow grease much better than $3,000. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_1106061.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	213908  
Old 28-04-2020, 11:53   #39

I agree with the $50 dollar option being better haha. Very cool set up, I am going to try to build it - great quarantine project.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:07   #40

I used to have a Cape Dory 25D, and I would trust a Cape Dory 27 to go around the world in a second. I loved sailing mine in heavy weather. It was actually fun to have that thing out in 40 knots of wind, the only sailboat I ever owned I could say that about.

Just make sure the things are right on it (like rigging) that would want to make sure are right on any boat you are about to take on an extended passage or cruise.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:11   #41

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If you build your own, Letcher's book is exceptionally good for understanding the physics and math of the thing. Very important for developing the correct degree of feedback, etc.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 13:37   #42

Quote:
I agree with the $50 dollar option being better haha. Very cool set up, I am going to try to build it - great quarantine project.
Yes. Let me know if you run into any issues and I could photograph that exact location to explain my method. You could text me anytime at 250 734-3244 when you start.
Old 08-06-2020, 15:27   #43

Wow,

That's pretty wild. I also bought a Cape Dory 27 in April (I don't know, maybe there was a quarantine sale or something). GlennMobley and Sailor_Grant, I'd love to speak more. I'm not planning a circumnavigation any time soon, but I am trying to do a pretty comprehensive refit, and I bet y'all know a bit more about this type of work than me.

I've been reading the forum for a bit, but this thread is what got me to join, so I'm not sure I've figured the system out yet, and I apologize if this wasn't the appropriate place to solicit contact.

Stay well,

Ryan
WhoKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 22:20   #44

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory '27

Got one too, so far all I've done is paint bottom, replace one mangled thru hull. I don't have much moolah so I'm taking the skallywag approach which is my preference whether I had money or not. So far though her bones seem very loaded with marrow and robust.
mikebikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 03:29   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

If you are a new CD27 owner, the best thing you can do is to complete the most needed repairs and start sailing it.

Sail it in lots of different conditions. Fix things when you have a chance.

I'd say you'd need to sail it for a few seasons before you get a good feel for the boat and what it can do

One of the larger surprises I dealt with on my boat was when the tiller broke in half in 18-20 knot winds.

Luckily the wind was right and I was able to steer with the sails until I got close to my home creek and in the protection of some land then I lowered the outboard and motored in using the outboard's tiller

So far (9 years) I have not had to replace the rigging, chain plates, or thruhulls/seacocks but have cut out all the smelly head hoses and manual pump plus repainted basically the entire boat

I just added a Raspberry Pi computer that I used to build a chart plotter using OpenCPN which also displays AIS. GPS and AIS data come in from a SH GX2200 and I have a backup GPS USB Puck. The monitor for the display is an HDTV so you can also hook up the antenna and have TV at times. Plus paper chart backups

Everything is powered using solar because the outboard has no alternator. I have both DC and AC power with my two inverters. I have multiple PWM controllers and one Victron MPPT 75/15 Controller to charge my two 12 volt batteries which are in parallel

I have two autopilots and two main anchors plus chain and rode.

Boats like the CD27 and Bristol 27 are well built and tough boats. This one crossed several oceans. I got the Raspberry Pi idea from his posts and youtube videos

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, circumnavigation, navigation