Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 17:47   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Cape Dory 27 circumnavigation

Hello,

I just bought a CD 27 and was looking around for information about what upgrades and changes that might need to be made for transatlantic crossing or hopefully a circumnavigation. I read a little on this forum and got some information but I was hoping to get somemore info.

I tried searching CDSOA and haven't found anything for circumnavigation on the 27' yet. I had problems with registering and will try again later.

I also was wondering if anyone has circumnavigated with the CD 27 and if their is any books or articles they would recommend. I have not found any information on that yet.

Thanks for any assistance.
GlennMobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 17:51   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Cape Dory 27 circumnavigation

Welcome to the forum.
Old 21-04-2020, 18:20   #3

Couple went to polynesia on a cape dory 25.

Someone circumnavigated on a cape dory 28,

Many people have crossed the Atlantic on cape dories.

Need beef up chain plates.
Change rigging.
Bridge deck.
Cockpit hatches need beefing up
Check engine. Replace with kubota.
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 18:21   #4

Couple who went to polynesia has long list of changes.
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 18:32   #5

If you haven’t seen it already, capedory.org looks like a fairly active site.
Chris31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 21:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you Jamme
Old 21-04-2020, 22:20   #7

Arch007

Thank you for your quick response. The engine had been replaced with a universal M18, which I think is a kubota. I plan to go over it more to check everything out. I did read about the 25' and the 28' but I was just wanting to know if the 27' had done the journey and if not was they a reason. I also was hoping they was some information more specific to the 27' on a circumnavigation that would be helpful but if there is not much difference in what needs to be done then the boat should be good to go after I fix the things you said. Thanks again
Old 21-04-2020, 22:41   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 01:46   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 28

A Cape Dory 28 has circumnavigated and here is the website link.

S/V FeNIX Home Page

It was heavily modified and the website provides details of the various projects.

Fair winds,
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 04:22   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

It is doable. I would not limit your research to Cape Dory smaller boats but look at other similar sized boats. The obvious one would be Vega 27s. A lot of them have done long passages and remember that almost all circumnavigations are just a string of passages of various lengths. Really look for ways to save weight and volume when you equip your boat. Really east to overload a smaller boat.
Old 22-04-2020, 07:51   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I have circumnavigated a 53’ Amel ketch (2003-2009) and last November I purchased a 1981 Cape Dory 28. I have since sailed her from Florida to where she is presently trapped by the coronavirus lockdown in Luperon, DR , a distance of 900 miles. I assume that the CD27 is very similar to the CD28. As AiniA pointed out, a circumnavigation is just a string of passages and having said that, the biggest challenge to sailing a vessel the size of either the CD27 or CD28 will be the limited storage space.

The CD28 moves well in light winds and as much of my latest trip was “uphill”, I can affirm that she also tracks well, close hauled in big seas. I am NOT planning to circumnavigate again but if I were, I would go cutter rigged with inner forestay and add a third reef to the main. I would try to get all of the lines led back to the cockpit for reefing and lowering the main, as well as adding roller furling to the jibs.

S/V FeNix installed a solid rail around the deck and I would love to have something like that but I don’t imagine that was cheap.

My CD28 came with a Simrad TP32 tiller mounted autopilot and that worked well.

I would rip out the holding tank and convert that space to storage. I added a 1KW charger / inverter plus microwave oven to my CD28 and that has performed really well. The boat came with alcohol burners as well as a propane cooking set-up and I haven’t used either. For a circumnavigation I would splash out and buy a couple of lithium batteries. With solar panels for charging assist, I would likely add a small 12V desalinator, maybe the Katadyn Powersurvivor-40E. I would make sure that I have mosquito screens for all hatches and windows and add a mosquito net for the cockpit.

A circumnavigator would probably bite the big one and give up on the cold beer. If that is a “bridge too far”, then the portable fridge like the one I bought for my CD28 - Dometic CFX28 (Amazon) would be a possible solution.

Fair winds,
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 08:54   #12

Boat: nor'sea 27, 1977

The CD25 is very capable for ocean crossings. However, the small size may hinder confort. I owned a Nor'sea 27 for more than 20 years but I could never convince my wife to serious ocean cruising because of the small size.
iota27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 09:48   #13

Boat: CD25

Glenn
Edmundsteele had some great ideas especially about changing his 28 rig to a cutter when needed. To upgrade your boat for a crossing you should figure how much$ you will have to spend. Good luck on your new boat the 27 has nice lines.
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 11:20   #14

One of the best resources I know of is James Baldwin from Brunswick Georgia. He circumnavigated twice in a Pearson 28. There is a lot of info here https://atomvoyages.com. The Cape Dory 27 is on his list of boats for off shore voyaging. Although I have never tried it he does have a way of contacting him from that website and he is extremely knowledgeable on the subject.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 11:40   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

We sailed what you intend on another 26' boat that is not all that much different from a COD.

You do not need to modify the boat other than for the kind of comfort you expect.

Looking at other COD 27 images online, I can see the mast is on the deck and there is no center post (?). Should this be so, you will want to make sure this area is sound and heck strong as boats get plenty of effort there on long ocean passages. In our boat there is a mighty deck beam there, about 6 inches tall and 3 inches thick ... I have DOUBLED this beam some time back. Just in case.

You will want to pull, check and then decide if you chainplates need replacement. If they are steel, then this is likely the case. Check ALL of them. You have been warned.

If you go solo or in two, look for the best windvane you can afford. In fact, a very good windvane is probably one of the near "must" mods for this kind of sailing. Holding the tiller is fun only the first 24 hours of your big adventure. Later on this wears off very quickly.

Your boat is good stuff. Just it is an old stuff. Just like any other old thing, you will want to replace or beef up anything structural that is less than 110% up to the job at hand. Maybe 150%. Long ocean trips are more demanding on small boats.

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, circumnavigation, navigation