Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 13:32   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing) can it cross an ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Cross an ocean? Yeah, maybe, probably, possibly. Safely? Absolutely not. Wasnt designed or built for that. Like manateeman says, leave your epirb at home. “Die like a gentleman.” Blondie Hasler. Ever heard of him?

The first couple of sentences were actually helpful. The last two?...Condescending B.S. I say this every time I see someone being an authoritarian. ...He's a newer member that came here with some questions and is looking for guidance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:04   #17

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

So when you state the last two sentences are...let’s be polite and use the term inaccurate or false.
Do you have something specific and of substance to say with reference to my first post on this subject ? Or rather are you suggesting something and are hesitant to post it...I stated my case against this adventure in terms which I thought would add something for the OP to consider. The USCG has the authority to return vessels to port and substantial fines exist for violating orders of the officer of the port or the boarding crew. I didn’t want to see the OP forfeit his boat because he didn’t know the law. I furthermore feel port captains ought to take a more serious view of attempts to “set records “at sea. I stated my opinion based on considerable experience in ocean voyages and rescues.

Wouldn’t it suffice to simply state that your opinion differs from mine and let both the OP and other members form their own opinions without personalizing things?
This way, one can judge the validity of posts based upon the knowledge, skills, and experience of the poster. Professional Credentials do matter “in reality”.
Witch doctors can do wonders for someone who believes in them but lots of people like to see an M.D. for health issues. You may not think much of certified experience or education but then again you do not have the legal responsibilities of a Merchant Marine Captain. By this I mean no insult. We are simply held to a higher standard in the Admirality Courts. Especially in regard to at sea rescues.
“In the real world” the credentials of professional mariners are usually far more respected than would warrant such a dismissive comment.
Being snippy adds little to the conversation.
Captain Mark
Who holds an active Merchant Mariners Credential.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:40   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For the OP:

"The current record for a circumnavigation by a solo sailor in the world's smallest boat is held by an Australian sailor, after a three year voyage back in the 80's.

Serge Testa circumnavigated from 84-87 starting out from Brisbane, in Australia. The boat, called Acrohc Australis, was a self designed aluminum hull, that was 11' 10' when he started out and modified en-route by the addition of a bowsprit to a final LOA to a shade under 14'."

So, mate, your dreams of "breaking a world record" will not happen in any of the boats that you have posited so far.

This, BTW, is not the only flaw in your plan, but you don't seem to want to hear about the issues, so I will bow out now.

Jim
Old 17-07-2021, 17:33   #19

Simple answers to your questions: Can a Cape Dory Typhoon cross the Atlantic Ocean? Possibly. Can she do so safely? Not NO, but HELL NO!!!
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 19:49   #20

Larger cockpit which is good for fishing, this is a danger in the bluewater and in storm conditions!!!

Better to have a self-bailing smaller cockpit and now I have to wonder about the outboard motor well in some designs??

Wow, the small details are so important to learn and consider as you gain perspective and understanding.

HALMAN 20:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tic_hurricanes

Would it survive these storms listed above?
Category 1 Hurricane? Would it be capable of getting through it?
May 1 to Jan 31 is Hurricane Season in the Caribbean and Atlantic in my opinion.
What a terrible place to have to live/constantly battling compared to the Pacific Westcoast of North America which is all orcas and salmon.

Would the Halman 20 be able to get through a Hurricane?
What does it take to survive? 100mph winds? maybe not, then.
??
DK2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 20:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Simple answers to your questions: Can a Cape Dory Typhoon cross the Atlantic Ocean? Possibly. Can she do so safely? Not NO, but HELL NO!!!
What about the outboard motor well design in some of these boats under 27' long?

I really liked the Columbia 26 classic and the Pearson Electra 22 with the outboard well.

Is the outboard well also a threat to safety in a heavy storm?
Old 17-07-2021, 21:30   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2730 View Post
What about the outboard motor well design in some of these boats under 27' long?

I really liked the Columbia 26 classic and the Pearson Electra 22 with the outboard well.
Is the outboard well also a threat to safety in a heavy storm?

I have no first-hand experience with an outboard well but have known people who had. If planning weather windows maybe 4 days at a time for coastal cruising, they're ok. In heavy seas they can become pooped and the possibility of getting washed. Remember too, you would have to store gasoline onboard creating another potential problem.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 04:26   #23

A Weekender is very stoutly built boat yet the stock boat will need mods -- as many boats will -- to go from inshore to offshore. Boats that enter offshore racing events must yield to great lists of safety requirements and then inspections for compliance. I"d suggest looking at those, say the Bermuda Race safety requirements, with a surveyor and a contractor at-hand and seeing what it would take. I think Don Street said, "Sooner or later someone will cross an ocean on a bale of hay" so, to my eye, there is hope for the more advanced and sweet Typhoon.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 05:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
A Weekender is very stoutly built boat yet the stock boat will need mods -- as many boats will -- to go from inshore to offshore. Boats that enter offshore racing events must yield to great lists of safety requirements and then inspections for compliance. I"d suggest looking at those, say the Bermuda Race safety requirements, with a surveyor and a contractor at-hand and seeing what it would take. I think Don Street said, "Sooner or later someone will cross an ocean on a bale of hay" so, to my eye, there is hope for the more advanced and sweet Typhoon.
Bail of Hay?!
HAHA
hehehe

Good stuff.
A Bayfield 29 seems pretty nice and spacious.
Underrated Eastern Canadian boat, westcoast is another world, we have 30% of the bluewater pocketcruisers compared to eastcoast and great lakes.

Atlantic coast is terrible place to be stuck with the arctic fed winters, westcoast is freedom I think. But, what types of boats would work for my intentions of crossing the pacific once trained and prepared to do so?

Pearson Triton 28?
Pearson Ariel 26?
Lapworth Gladiator 25? seems very nice.
What else is out there and westcoast common?
Very few Cape Dory boats in Washington State and BC.
Old 18-07-2021, 05:49   #25
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

How about a 13ft boat?
Fafnir - John Welsford Designs

If you actually do this, please make a youtube documentary about your trip, I'd love to watch it.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 08:28   #26

Boat: Pearson 34

Try the Flicka 20!
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 09:28   #27

Well, lot's of interesting opinions so I will add my 2 cents. A previous poster stated that he is a merchant mariner and so am I. However, I'm not sure if that makes any of us more or less of an expert. It was also stated that going out on the ocean in an unsafe vessel is against the law. Yes, I read most of the regulations, but generally speaking, it is not illegal to do something stupid. Someone also asked why even contemplate something like that, and I say, why climb a mountain? Why learn to skydive, SCUBA dive or fly a hang glider? So, with the philosophical stuff out of the way, let's deal with the question at hand.

The short answer is yes, with qualifications. First, let's look at the vessel and I will use as an example an Atlantic crossing for reasons that will be clear later. Andy Vavolotis built arguably the most capable serial production sailboats in the US at the time. I visited the shop in Taunton when I was in college and everything that went into them was largely bulletproof. Therefore, if the vessel was in topnotch condition, with enhanced watertight integrity and extra flotation with certain fasteners etc. strengthened and certain spare parts aboard, it should be capable of doing the job.

Second, is the crew and let's assume a single person. This requires confidence, competence and mental toughness. He will have to be capable of celestial navigation should his GPS fail, be capable of making repairs while in the open sea, and lastly be able to withstand the solitude of weeks alone. This is certainly made easier by the immense changes in communications technology, but that can only go so far.

Third, is conditions. If the passage was planned for June through August time frame, then conditions would be milder, thus making it easier.

One can argue each point that I have laid out, but the bottom line is that with the exception of the type of vessel, this passage has already been done. In 1965, Robert Manry sailed from Falmouth Massachusetts to Falmouth England by himself in a 14 foot Old Town Whitecap open dinghy that he modified to have a small cabin and to the best of my knowledge a non self-bailing cockpit. He had never been to sea before, having learned to sail on Lake Erie. He taught himself how to use a sextant and do marine carpentry. The voyage took him over two months (June - August). His book, Tinkerbelle is worth reading for the insight into his preparations and what it is like to ride out storms, fall overboard, make repairs, have hallucinations etc. while completely alone and thousands of miles from another living soul. His boat is in a museum in Ohio.

FWIW.
Garboard Strake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 11:37   #28

Reading about all these people with disillusion of cruising the oceans in an ultra-small boat there are some logistics that catch up with you fast. Number One small boats do not have the speed to cover large sections of Ocean at a rate of speed that makes the trip safe and or even comfortable. A trip to Hawaii the takes three weeks on a Contessa 26 now takes two months. Secondly trying to carry enough supplies are far as food and water for an extended trip becomes a logistical nightmare in that if you overload your boat past the hull design it changes the sailing characteristics of the boat adding to the nightmare of trying to sail it.
Boat designers such as Chuck Pane put the minimal length of a purpose built boat for long journey at around 22 to 24 feet which I have to agree with. This puts the Carol 24 https://www.chuckpaine.com/boats/24-...voyager-carol/ into the list along with the falmouth cutter https://skyaboveus.com/water-sports/...ising-Sailboat. The Dana 24 as well as a host of other boats. I know there are a lot of Flica fans out there but they really do not have the speed to make a long sail enjoyable.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:36   #29

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Catching fish is a great idea, I used to catch a lot in the Caribbean and Pacific, the last few years not so much. You need a lot of water and sustenance to survive, this size boat won't make a fast passage. As a previous poster has commented don't take emergency equipment to call for help but do take supplies for repairs.
Old 26-07-2021, 07:02   #30
Marine Service Provider

Of course it can cross an ocean--but perhaps best to do so at its narrowest point...with an awesomely nice forecast, with a chase boat..and a sat phone...Oh I dunno--as others have said--it depends!!! LOL! It can do so even more on deck of a cargo ship. No but seriously folks, it could be done, but I also ask--why? I suggest reading Slocum, the Pardeys, Robin Lee Graham, Tana Aebi, Chichester and so many others first.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory