Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 07:21   #31

Re: CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing) can it cross an ocean?

[QUOTE=DK2730;3445794]Can the CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing 1/2 size of boat sort of cockpit) designed by Carl Alberg cross the Atlantic Ocean safely?

The world record is 21.5 ft for smallest boat to circumnavigate the Earth.
Is a larger cockpit an issue to worry about?

Actually the world record for the smallest boat to circumnavigate is Acroc Australis - a 12 ft aluminium boat that is currently held in the Brisbane Museum - allthough not currently on display
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:15   #32
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

You should check this guy out, he does offshore sailing in a 18 ft custom boat.

https://www.yrvind.com/

JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:34   #33

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2730 View Post
Can the CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing 1/2 size of boat sort of cockpit) designed by Carl Alberg cross the Atlantic Ocean safely?

https://www.sailrite.com/Cape-Dory-T...nder-Sail-Data

Is it too much risk to have 40-50% of your boat as cockpit if you are going to circumnavigate or cross the Pacific slowly from BC to Hawaii to Cook Islands, southern Vanuatu out of the Cyclone Zone, then NZ and AUS over 2-3 years.

TANZER 7.5 has crossed the Atlantic with a 2'6" shoal keel, a great freshwater boat for beginners, trailerable, maybe is as cool as a Canadian Grampian? Would be a vulnerable rudder I suppose? Maybe a weak mast that is collapsable.

https://www.sailrite.com/Tanzer-75-Sail-Data

The world record is 21.5 ft for smallest boat to circumnavigate the Earth.
Is a larger cockpit an issue to worry about?

It would be tempting after learning and then getting across the Pacific to decide to either circle back up to Japan and then Alaska and home, or to go for the world record for someone in this type of scenario.

Cook Islands and French Polynesia in a TANZER 7.5 or a bigger cockpit for fishing the reefs for Blue Trevali, wow, so that is most special outcome.

I wonder about making a BC to Hawaii trip and then fast across the doldrums sort of fairweather boat if it has a larger cockpit for fishing as well.

I guess I need insight from experts.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

HALMAN 20 for these purposes is another one.
But has a 2.20 capsize rating. Seems bad compared to Alberg's smaller micropocket full-keel that could be bluewater capable I think.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nordic-halman-20

Maybe the HALMAN is the most comfortable interior overall and the world record would be tempting after getting across the Pacific. These are mainly on the eastcoast though. Bluewater boats are much less common on the westcoast of North America in my analysis.
Sailing "open" small boats for thousands of miles has gone on for centuries. Of course one of the famous was: Captain William Bligh and a handful of loyalists, starving and weak, landed at a Dutch settlement in Timor, after traveling 3,618 miles on an open 23-foot boat.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:47   #34

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Sure a Typhoon can cross oceans. Just the usual $30,000 refit with all the upgrades and the boat should be ready. The question remains can you hang long enough to complete the trip?
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 23:36   #35

Boat: Still building

Actually, Bligh stopped twice to garner supplies and water....but let's not quibble. Shackleton's rescue expedition from Elephant Island to South Georgia was probably more epic, if not as far.

More recently, though, Webb Chiles crossed the Pacific in an open boat, I think an 18' Drascombe lugger. He learned (the hard way) that having an open centreboard case is NOT a great idea for such a journey, and spent 5 days clinging to the side of the boat during a storm mid-Pacific as he could not get enough water out of the boat to be able to bail it dry and re-board.

So the Typhoon having similar propensities (i.e. being unable to easily bail) would or ought to be a concern. As others have said, more floation etc etc, but this then eats into the available storage space for water and food.

Sven Yrvind has done a few deliberately 'record attempt' crossings, but he is seriously eccentric. Worth looking up though.

I note the OP has not mentioned budget, but the preferred boat being small, one gets the feeling budget is an issue.

In which case buying a 'fixer upper' with good sails and rig - but needing cleaning, repairs, repainting - all the sorts of things a handy person could 'value add' might in fact be a better proposition.

Another good source of information might be Matt Rutherford's Around the Americas expedition, which utilised an Albin Vega 27' - a well-known 'ocean crossing' smaller vessel.

Then there is James Baldwin's 'Atom Voyages list' of potnetially useful offshore bluewater smaller cruise boats. Much food for thought there.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list.html/

So if the OP is seeking encouragement, googling those three at least will provide much food for thought....if not actual encouragement.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 09:26   #36

Yes it can cross an ocean. Especially if you glass in part of the cockpit for storage and to reduce volume. Not hard nor expensive. HOWEVER! You could to this as an accomplishment or a stunt. Bur to be a serious longterm live aboard cruiser? NO? Now a cape dory 28. Yeah. About minimum for me. Check out Sam Holms YouTube channel. And you can buy them pretty reasonable. If you check out his most recent coupe of posts he interviews his hero in the Azores. Has crossed many oceans in his home purpose built 19’ boats. Sorry, but no thanks. Like I say something like a Cape Dory 28 would be my minimum. Or an Albin Vega?
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory