Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 16:33   #1

Question Cat as a 501c3 for free dream trips?

Hi everyone. I’m exploring buying a used Cat (ie Leopard 39) to then offer week-long dream vacations at no cost to vets, first responders, etc. from BVIs or Bahamas. In my 50s & retired early. I’d welcome comments (or referral to someone) that can speak to registering me/boat as a 501c3 so that folks could help cover costs of providing each trip (and perhaps help defray some of purchase). Would donate my time for 4+ trips/year. Rest of my time on boat would be spent cruising - no for-profit trips planned. Just want to do something that touches my heart. Pleased to answer any Qs as best I can. Thanks.
SailorZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 16:45   #2

Re: Cat as a 501c3 for free dream trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorZman View Post
Hi everyone. I’m exploring buying a used Cat (ie Leopard 39) to then offer week-long dream vacations at no cost to vets, first responders, etc. from BVIs or Bahamas. In my 50s & retired early. I’d welcome comments (or referral to someone) that can speak to registering me/boat as a 501c3 so that folks could help cover costs of providing each trip (and perhaps help defray some of purchase). Would donate my time for 4+ trips/year. Rest of my time on boat would be spent cruising - no for-profit trips planned. Just want to do something that touches my heart. Pleased to answer any Qs as best I can. Thanks.
I would stay away from using donations to purchase a boat you use personally, that s a pretty big no-no. On the other hand, getting donations to do trips is probably fine especially if those go for things like food which are clearly unique to that trip. It's non-trivial to set up a 501c3 or maintain it. You need an independent board, and there are a number of filings required. You probably need to be clearing at least $50k/year in donations if not a lot more to make the tax benefits worthwhile.

I'd recommend that instead you partner with an established non-profit to offer your services. They're already set up to handle it, and you can focus on delivering the service which is probably what you really care about in the end. Good luck, it sounds like potentially a fun and rewarding endeavor.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 16:53   #3

I don't know anything about American charities but I can say without a shadow of a doubt this could not / would not be run as a charity in Canada.

If it's permitted where you are and if you want to do it then good for you but running it as a charity is a bad idea. This could open you up personally to many accusations - true or not.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 17:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Leaving aside any non-profit issues in the US, the countries you plan on doing this in might not take a favourable view. I live in the BVI, and am pretty sure they would look very, very, carefully at this. Not saying that they wouldn't permit it, but you would have to convince them you were not working without a work permit, or doing charters, for starters. No idea about the Bahamas, but I would think that countries with serious charter industries would have some questions.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 19:34   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
You need to consult with a tax attorney to discuss your business plan.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I would stay away from using donations to purchase a boat you use personally, that s a pretty big no-no. On the other hand, getting donations to do trips is probably fine especially if those go for things like food which are clearly unique to that trip. It's non-trivial to set up a 501c3 or maintain it. You need an independent board, and there are a number of filings required. You probably need to be clearing at least $50k/year in donations if not a lot more to make the tax benefits worthwhile.

I'd recommend that instead you partner with an established non-profit to offer your services. They're already set up to handle it, and you can focus on delivering the service which is probably what you really care about in the end. Good luck, it sounds like potentially a fun and rewarding endeavor.
Many thx. Makes sense - my interest is to deliver a memorable experience, not get sealed in admin.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
I don't know anything about American charities but I can say without a shadow of a doubt this could not / would not be run as a charity in Canada.

If it's permitted where you are and if you want to do it then good for you but running it as a charity is a bad idea. This could open you up personally to many accusations - true or not.
Much appreciated. I thought about this aspect as well and want to take steps up front to reduce/eliminate any thoughts of funny business. I’m willing to buy boat with my own $, and donate my time. I just need help with covering the variable costs of delivering each weekly trip. Thx
Old 05-09-2020, 09:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Leaving aside any non-profit issues in the US, the countries you plan on doing this in might not take a favourable view. I live in the BVI, and am pretty sure they would look very, very, carefully at this. Not saying that they wouldn't permit it, but you would have to convince them you were not working without a work permit, or doing charters, for starters. No idea about the Bahamas, but I would think that countries with serious charter industries would have some questions.
Thx Contrail. Perhaps by following redneckrob’s suggestion of partnering with an existing/reputable nonprofit I could address any concerns over end runs on work permits. I’ll keep this key issue in mind.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
You need to consult with a tax attorney to discuss your business plan.
Thx Orion Jim. Most def on the list to be sure I understand the limitations/costs/feasibility. I’m liking the patterning idea with existing nonprofit if that’s workable.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01   #10

Quote:
Thx Contrail. Perhaps by following redneckrob’s suggestion of partnering with an existing/reputable nonprofit I could address any concerns over end runs on work permits. I’ll keep this key issue in mind.
Well, that changes things. I have heard nothing but good about these folks.

https://warriorsailing.org/

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:37   #11

You would probably need a Captain's License as well
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:18   #12

Much appreciated. A friend here in SF area shared below local nonprofit. Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors. I’d like to volunteer here while still in Bay Area. Now have 2 names to start my list of poss partners. Thx.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exctyengr View Post
You would probably need a Captain's License as well
Agreed. Thx for the reminder.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:40   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Need a lawyer and account to answer these questions; and you should also have a business plan to show them.

Bottom line is this probably won't work.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:57   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Mebee you could get sailing listed as a religion...or failing that, discuss it with Steve Bannon...

Seriously though, the partnering idea sounds like a good one.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote