Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 04:29   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: CF Member Subject of Article : Boat Alexandra

Someone could probably write an entire book about this guy, his boat, and his travels. (not to mention his technical abilities with Open CPN and that autopilot he built)

Looks like he's made a few changes to the boat also.

The main sail appears to be a bit oversized and possibly from a Catalina 27. Main sheet connection is different. Double back stay. I'm not seeing the tiller in the pictures but maybe it's down in the cockpit

No lifelines, no stern railing, but does have a Cunningham where the originals didn't.

Last I saw he had posted from some place on the Chesapeake Bay.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 04:41   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: CF Member Subject of Article : Boat Alexandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Someone could probably write an entire book about this guy, his boat, and his travels.
That's later.. his Pension Fund..
Motisier would approve..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 06:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
Thanks for that one Steady Hand. I love reading these stories. People like Sean and his Bristol 27 and Mike Riley and his Oday 27 making epic ocean voyages reinforces my belief that joining the snobitorium of "Bluewater Boat Owners" is really not necessary to experience an adventure of a lifetime.
Actually, his Bristol 27 is a recognized Bluewater Boat according to a few websites:

The Bristol 27 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

http://www.atomvoyages.com/planning/...oats-list.html
Old 28-12-2017, 07:15   #19

Quote:
Actually, his Bristol 27 is a recognized Bluewater Boat according to a few websites:

The Bristol 27 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
Here's the rub. These aren't some Eurotrash boats or knockoff with NMMA, CBGB, XYZA or other grandiose list of accolades. These are standard production boats built way, way before the current can't be done without boats marketed to people with more money than sense looking for a guarantee. I could crap in a box throw a guarantee on it and people with this same mentality would pay dearly for it. It is still a box of crap. I always enjoy reading of these folks who do grand things over the tales of the hang around the yacht club bars types bragging about their 'blue water boats'. As it has been said, "Nothing succeeds like success."
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:28   #20

Quote:
Here's the rub. These aren't some Eurotrash boats or knockoff with NMMA, CBGB, XYZA or other grandiose list of accolades. These are standard production boats built way, way before the current can't be done without boats marketed to people with more money than sense looking for a guarantee. I could crap in a box throw a guarantee on it and people with this same mentality would pay dearly for it. It is still a box of crap. I always enjoy reading of these folks who do grand things over the tales of the hang around the yacht club bars types bragging about their 'blue water boats'. As it has been said, "Nothing succeeds like success."
I kinda look at it as "to each his own."

If you want to spend a lot on a boat and hang at the yacht club, that's fine. If that is what makes you happy!

Others of us though just like old full keel boats that can do the blue water thing which is why I chose the Bristol 27 also except I paid twice what Mr Sean paid for his. (he's even reminded me of this a few times and of what his boat went through on his New Zealand voyage

The old Bristol 27 has lots happening below the waterline. It's a tough old boat and some say built like a brick lighthouse.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-572-bristol-27.html

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...27-1135-1.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020 (1).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	161136  
Old 28-12-2017, 11:49   #21

Quote:
I kinda look at it as "to each his own."

If you want to spend a lot on a boat and hang at the yacht club, that's fine. If that is what makes you happy!

Others of us though just like old full keel boats that can do the blue water thing which is why I chose the Bristol 27 also except I paid twice what Mr Sean paid for his. (he's even reminded me of this a few times and of what his boat went through on his New Zealand voyage

The old Bristol 27 has lots happening below the waterline. It's a tough old boat and some say built like a brick lighthouse.

Bristol 27

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...27-1135-1.html
Good for you thomm225. That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Buying the solid old boat and get the job done. All too often I see the posts from those that dismiss the old battleships being less than glamorous or seaworthy. They do however get the job done. Hampton Roads huh. I used to be quite active with the boats out of Eustis. Before the Eustis Langley joint base.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:54   #22

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

Gosh, tucked away here in Southern Africa, its not often that we can relate directly to the original OP when people are the topic. A year ago, ( or was it 2 ) I had the immense pleasure of meeting Sean when he sailed into Richards Bay in South Africa. He spent about 3 months here. On arrival, Sean towed his boat onto the key as he paddled his surf ski. He came sailing with me during a social Wednesday race. His advice on sail trim was excellent. He also offered a free lecture at our Zululand Yacht Club club on Open CPN which was equally fantabulous. His minimalistic existence was awe inspiring. He advised me that his objective was to sustain himself on a dollar a day and that he required nothing more. He certainly did not want for anything. I was honestly confused and questioned his extreme subsistence lifestyle. Yet I paradoxically developed an immense respect for him. What was immensely apparent was Sean's intellect. He was clearly intelligently gifted and my final conclusion that he was like an Einstein but with no material needs or aspirations. His boat drew much attention, particularly his cooking methods of a few twigs under his little black pot. Whilst he may cut corners and offend authorities and critics, it was very apparent to me that he intended no malice at all. He is clearly a gentle, unassuming sole who cared little for what people thought of his chosen lifestyle. I am pleased to say that we were able to offer Sean some assistance and we welcomed him into our sailing community. Sean, we wish you well. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you as my guest on Ypsilanti. You made an immense impression of myself and my sailing colleagues.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:58   #23

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

typo, last sentence should read "to" myself and my colleagues.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:10   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Doesn't condition have something to do with seaworthiness? I wouldn't say his is brand new out of the box, if it is he disguises it well. No offence to owner intended.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:14   #25

Where was his birthplace?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:19   #26

Quote:
Good for you thomm225. That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Buying the solid old boat and get the job done. All too often I see the posts from those that dismiss the old battleships being less than glamorous or seaworthy. They do however get the job done. Hampton Roads huh. I used to be quite active with the boats out of Eustis. Before the Eustis Langley joint base.
It just goes to show that the estimates of $20,000 to $50,000 for an adequate blue water boat to cruise on or just that. Someone's estimate based on their own idea of what it takes to cruise and how much it will definitely cost

Same with the monthly marina cruising budget. What's right for some cruisers isn't necessarily right for all

On the other hand, this guy just sailed/sculled a ways through the Dismal Swamp here. (I believe the temps were in the low 20's on a few of those days with pretty strong North winds along the bay)

Not a lot of cruisers have days like that in their plans
Old 30-12-2017, 08:35   #27

What this fellow has done is certainly an achievement but he has had several folks preceed him sailing small boats around the world that many would suggest are less seaworthy than the Bristol 27. Boats like a Cal 25 and Catalina 27 also circumnavigated and lots of others around the same size or smaller. Hell the Pardeys built a 24 foot wooden boat themselves and sailed around the world so while his accomplishment is certainly a wonderful example of mind over matter it should send a message to all the younger sailors who dream of similar experiences that where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 30-12-2017, 09:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
What this fellow has done is certainly an achievement but he has had several folks preceed him sailing small boats around the world that many would suggest are less seaworthy than the Bristol 27. Boats like a Cal 25 and Catalina 27 also circumnavigated and lots of others around the same size or smaller. Hell the Pardeys built a 24 foot wooden boat themselves and sailed around the world so while his accomplishment is certainly a wonderful example of mind over matter it should send a message to all the younger sailors who dream of similar experiences that where there is a will, there is a way.
All true and there are a few other important points to remember with this guy and his boat.

First he paid $1,000 for his boat.

No motor and doesn't get towed that I have heard about anyway. Uses sculling oar.

He tries to live on one dollar per day according to the post above. (I'm thinking by living off what the sea and nature provide if possible)

I'm thinking he bought or bargained for that main sail of his also

Built his own electronic autopilot

Speaking of the main, checkout his reefing method (or what I'm taking for his reefing lines)

The boat has no lifelines and few stanchions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat A.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	161265  
Old 30-12-2017, 09:47   #29

Quote:
All true but there are a few other important points to remember with this guy and his boat.

First he paid $1,000 for his boat.

No motor and doesn't get towed that I have heard about anyway. Uses sculling oar.

He tries to live on one dollar per day according to the post above.

I'm thinking he bought or bargained for that main sail of his also

Built his own electronic autopilot

Speaking of the main, checkout his reefing method (or what I'm taking for his reefing lines)
I understand your comments. My point was simply that a person can overcome many obstacles but you have to radically change your thinking. For some people it's impossible but others are able to pull it off. Over the years I've met several young people sailing small boats on a very limited budget and they all seem to make it. I've also met many other cruisers that run out of money in very little time and run back home with their tail between their legs. It really is about self discipline and some people seem to be born with it. We ran in to a young couple from Brazil when we were in the Marshall Islands and they had built a little 25 foot steel boat by themselves and scrounged for everything. Scrounging is a lot easier these days because people throw so much stuff away. They went from boatyards and marina on a regular basis dumpster diving and attended flea markets and often when some stuff didn't sell they simply offered to take it for free. It took them awhile but they eventually outfitted their boat. Nothing matched but they didn't care. Interior was built the same way. They certainly had more than a thousand dollars in to their boat but not a lot more. Sails were all giveaways and she got quite skilled at cutting larger sails down to make them work. Their provisions were rice and beans and flour and whatever they could pick for free and of course fish which they always had an ample supply. No they were not cruising on a dollar a day but they were keeping their costs to a few hundred a month. Point is they were out there, crossing oceans and seeing everything we were seeing. Lovely young couple actually, i expect they will do well over the years as they are both bright and willing to work their tails off to accomplish something, we really enjoyed their company. They cruised at about 4 knots on a good day and sailed everywhere, time meant nothing to them.
Old 30-12-2017, 20:54   #30

Boat: Catalina 470

No one's cruising on $1/day, including this chap. I admire is minimalist outlook, truly do, particularly in the time of more is better and greed is alive and well, but no one is living of a dollar a day unless he/she is living of others charity and not putting a dollar value on that. Someone(s) pays. I have zero problem with his choices.
I know people that live of not much, but they do live of other peoples money.
I'd like to meet this guy, I'd be happy to buy him a beer and have a chat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lexan, member