Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 16:57   #1

Charter to test-drive boat life for a week?

Hello, we are a family of five (2 adults, 3 kids 3-11 years old). At the moment, we don't have a catamaran / boat but we want to try what others do in the future: buy a boat and live aboard/travel.

While we are cherishing our dreams and saving $$, and considering we've got our vaccines finally, and after spending two years at home, we would like to test drive how it is to be on a catamaran for a week. Basically, this sounds like charting a boat.

We are open about the destination (can be anywhere in the US or abroad) and can travel if needed to get there. We live in the upper mid-west USA (Michigan). Our preferred time is about week in November (around Thanksgiving) of December.

Do you have any recommendations on how to find such charter so it does not cost us an arm and a leg? Our preference would be a catamaran.

Thank you!
vasiliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 17:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Charter to test-drive boat life for a week?

Plenty of options in the Caribbean during the winter. Warm water too, and plenty of sun.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 17:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Plenty of options in the Caribbean during the winter. Warm water too, and plenty of sun.

b.

Any specific recommendations on where to look/how to find?
Thanks
Old 04-11-2021, 18:43   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

You might be able to find a charter in the BVIs, the Bahamas, or Florida. Bareboat charter companies will ask for your sailing resume, but if you lack sufficient experience you can get a captained boat. Also keep in mind your desired timeframe is peak season, so expect fewer available boats and higher prices. You’re late to be thinking about this so move fast.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 18:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasiliy View Post
Any specific recommendations on where to look/how to find?
Thanks
Search for google for “sailing charters” or “bareboat charters” and name your destination. In addition to what I wrote you might also check the USVI and Puerto Rico.
Old 04-11-2021, 19:00   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Plenty of cat charter in the Caribbean and the med. will cost arm and leg however. Some prior experience and or minimal competency may be required, currently charters are still operating in nov in Greece and it’s the cheapest time. But weather can be fickle , BVI etc will be pricey now.
Old 04-11-2021, 19:01   #7

I'd recommend the BVIs for your first trip, especially if you're trying to convince anyone in the family. It's fun and easy sailing (which isn't the "real" life from what I read and see on YouTube).

I'd also recommend more than a week. If you're serious about seeing what the "real" life is, one week in the BVIs or anywhere in the Caribbean will not show you that.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 19:24   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
I'd recommend the BVIs for your first trip, especially if you're trying to convince anyone in the family. It's fun and easy sailing (which isn't the "real" life from what I read and see on YouTube).

I'd also recommend more than a week. If you're serious about seeing what the "real" life is, one week in the BVIs or anywhere in the Caribbean will not show you that.
As someone who chartered several times in the BVI. I agree it’s a nice starter area. Chartering gives you a “ taste “ of the lifestyle but a somewhat restricted one. With your own boat AND sufficient time, you get the opportunity to involve yourselves in a foreign culture much more , the more time I have the less distance I sail. My latest record is 80 miles in 15 days !

The downside is you have to fix the damm thing and it’s not called “ break out another thousand” for nothing
Old 04-11-2021, 20:04   #9

Also you should check Covid entry screening requirements to the Caribbean islands -- they change frequently. The islands are taking Covid seriously.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Search for google for “sailing charters” or “bareboat charters” and name your destination. In addition to what I wrote you might also check the USVI and Puerto Rico.

Thanks... so many websites, don't know which one to trust. Is there some kind of way to get in touch with private cat owners who do this? I would think those kind of people usually have better rates and probably better service.
Old 04-11-2021, 20:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Also you should check Covid entry screening requirements to the Caribbean islands -- they change frequently. The islands are taking Covid seriously.

Good point!
Old 04-11-2021, 20:24   #12

Quote:
Thanks... so many websites, don't know which one to trust. Is there some kind of way to get in touch with private cat owners who do this? I would think those kind of people usually have better rates and probably better service.
If you go with the larger charter companies you'll pay more but get a more predictable result. When you save money by booking with an unknown entity you should expect the unexpected.

I once booked a week charter in St Martin where every hatch leaked (some onto the beds) and we discovered that evening (after we took the boat to St. Barts) that there was no hot water heater - it was missing and the hoses were just hanging where it used to be. The response of the charter base next morning was something like "Oh, in the tropics you don't need warm water, it's more refreshing". We also rented a kayak from that company -- the kayak had cracked seams and sank in 5 minutes after we launched it.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:27   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Private owners don’t charter , complex insurance , local law issues etc.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:52   #14

Quote:
I’ve always used a broker VISAILING. They have access to a lot of charter companies and to locations all over the world. They’re always helpful, friendly and responsive. The price for a charter is the same as if you went direct through the charter company. The charter company pays them, not you. I used them every charter (5 or 6 since 2013). Always very satisfied.

No, I don’t receive any benefit from my post and am not associated with them in any manner. Just a very satisfied client.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:10   #15

Boat: Hunter 46

Good plan. That is what I did before purchasing our first sailboat. What is you chartering duration and budget? Think of a catamaran as 2 monohull sailboats so the cost is double that of a monohull. That will determine whether it will cost you an arm and a leg.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter