Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: CLODs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was a member once of Sotts Lawncare forum so don't laugh
Guys

Being a CLOD has some real advantages - you no longer have to think about boat maintenance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:32   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

At least get yourself a small motorboat to mess around in, or at least a kayak! I would die if I couldn't get out on the water.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:39   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Nancie and I have been "CLODs" for 7 years now after 45 years of owning nothing on dirt. I'm still impressed by opening the refrigerator and seeing all the bottles standing straight up! I post far less now, but keep a view of the forum.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:54   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I guess it's each to his own.
I've told this tale before.

I know this chap that built his own boat. Started back in the 70's and he is still working on it today. Boat was ready to splash decades ago, but he keeps finding things " he still needs to do"

He must be approaching 80 by now...maybe 90, I'm not sure.

He will never splash the boat, but in his mind he has circumnavigated a dozen times.

If ever there is a CLOD, this guy is it !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:04   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I know this chap that built his own boat. Started back in the 70's and he is still working on it today. Boat was ready to splash decades ago, but he keeps finding things " he still needs to do"

He will never splash the boat, but in his mind he has circumnavigated a dozen times.

This guy is probably one of the few that fixed up his boat in his driveway and did sail it across the Atlantic.

He paid $2700 for the boat, but had $10,000 to spend so the rest went to the refit.

He didn't complete his circumnav though.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:14   #36

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I sold the big boat in 2011 when I stopped cruising on it full time. My wife's health is not up to water sailing">blue water sailing, I have been delivering boats to get my salt water therapy, and got in 8000 miles last year. This year's summer adventure is to drive the RV to Alaska and back. I am currently on a shakedown trip to Texas to watch the eclipse, but it looks like all I will see is clouds and rain.

The RV has similar systems, and I have installed LiFe batteries, inverters, solar, and Starlink, and fixed or upgraded the sewer and freshwater systems. I miss anchoring out, but there are some beautiful spots to boondock.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:05   #37
Marine Service Provider

I've been RV and camper shopping for just the reasons you expound on. I'm leaning towards a camper so as to have some independent wheels as needed.

I've owned three sailboats, and three fishing boats and I've got 35 years on the water under my belt.

Like you, wife sez enuff is enuff, but is willing to give the camper a go. I've been kicking tires and see a lot of similarities between a camper and a boat.

Many camp grounds are next to or near too water, so I'll be squezin' in some water time whenever and wherever I can.

Watch this space....CLOD in the making
Old 06-04-2024, 11:39   #38

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Ask him if he's integrated the data from his GPS to the watermaker.
That ought to keep him busy for awhile.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:32   #39

Quote:
I've been kicking tires and see a lot of similarities between a camper and a boat.
Mechanically, yes, but getting away from it all, no. I've spent enough time camping in a tent in RV campgrounds to know they are just like marinas, only worse. We avoid marinas whenever possible. I like peace and quiet. And to get anyplace you are driving on highways, which is seeing the least good side of America. I understand out west there are boondocking opportunities with the right RV, but then you're back on the road again. Don't get me wrong, I love driving a good handling car or motorcycle, but not a lumbering RV. To each his own.
Old 06-04-2024, 13:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Been a CLOD for 4yrs now.. not even the odd delivery to float on.. but as you say the forum is hard to quit.
While my boating input grows less relevant as boats get bigger and pricier every year I now focus on pissing folk off instead..
Not for me of course…… but how do you piss folk off to maximum effect??

I’m not a real expert like you boatman61, but if for example, I wanted to really piss Sailorbouy1 off, then I would spell his name wrong and then I would say something like drop in lithium is a complete waste of time and you should bild your own bank and make everything as complicated as possible and then monitor it all the time and then post on here how great it is.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 13:30   #41
Marine Service Provider

I've done the camping in a tent thing a few times....getting a camper is a step up in that direction.
I've gone to the trouble of visiting a few local campgrounds and have come away impressed. They've been clean, well maintained, and quite attractive.....many trees, nearby water, etc, etc.
Similar to a marina...nah, I don't think so..it's a different vibe. Different kind of people...mostly retired...like me

I'm gonna give it a go. I'm sure that there will be learning curve involved....just like sailing. Missus seems keen on the idea too, that's a big motivator for me.

For the missus the big thing is that there is typically some or other medical facility nearby in case it's needed to keep mah 'ole carcass running. This perturbed her no end when we were out cruising due to some past medical history.

So yeah....CLOD in the making here......
Old 06-04-2024, 14:52   #42

Quote:
Different kind of people...mostly retired...
That's exactly what I mean! The last people I want to be around are old farts like me complaining about their latest medical or gastrointestinal problem. I feel the same way about retirement communities.
Old 06-04-2024, 15:18   #43

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you end up not liking the RV lifestyle, there's always the middle ground: get a trawler and cruise the places you never took the sailboats.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 15:34   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: CLODs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Not for me of course…… but how do you piss folk off to maximum effect??

I’m not a real expert like you boatman61, but if for example, I wanted to really piss Sailorbouy1 off, then I would spell his name wrong and then I would say something like drop in lithium is a complete waste of time and you should bild your own bank and make everything as complicated as possible and then monitor it all the time and then post on here how great it is.
Just my posting pisses SB off..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 15:51   #45
Marine Service Provider

I don't see a future in just pissing people of...must be a better and more rewarding way to spend one's limited time on this planet..

Could try the opposite tack....become good friends with SB.....who knows what friendship could develop there....ya never know till you've tried it....offer some and you might get