Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 05:00   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Coastal cruising equipment and accessories

Next year I plan to quit working, sell the house, and cruise full time. I plan to spend the first years cruising the Eastern US coast, The Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico. I consider all of this really just coastal cruising.

Currently I'm only planning 1 boat upgrade before leaving since there are lots of opportunity to buy stuff as needed so it is best to wait to verify that something really has a need. But if you have/were doing the same trip, what equipment and upgrades would you put on your boat?
Old 19-01-2015, 05:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Coastal cruising equipment and accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Currently I'm only planning 1 boat upgrade before leaving
What boat are you planning to get?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:12   #3
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
What boat are planning to get?
Already have a boat
Old 19-01-2015, 05:26   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

If you already have a boat, you already know what you need. Each time you cruise, make a note of what you should have brought and then put it on the boat. Look around the boat and find what you never seem to use and if you don't see a need for it, take it off the boat.
Old 19-01-2015, 05:34   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Solar, watermaker and a good dinghy/outboard for us.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:36   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393

Liferaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 05:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For it to make the most sense, it would help to know what you already have.
For instance I was going to say watermaker, but then thought, does he have enough power to run one? So of course Solar or some kind of genny comes first.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 06:00   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your plan is my plan, just your going first.
So let me know how it goes, OK?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 06:04   #9
CLOD

Coastal cruising equipment and accessories

I'm not listing my current equipment as the thread is not just for me, just a generic question.

Btw - a life raft, really if that is ones first and only thought I wouldn't even go

Old 19-01-2015, 06:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I understand that coastal cruisers in the same area would not all select the same equipment, so I would emhasize that there is no one right answer.

We did most of our early cruising in the southeast US and Bahamas and we didn't add radar until we added New England to our range. You likely already have radar as you are starting from the land of rock and fog.

Here's a list of our essentials in no particular order:

Excellent & varied ground tackle, manual windlass, sail inventory for varied conditions, ancillary craft (dinghy & kayaks), electrical support (Diesel, solar & wind generators), radar, reliable auxiliary engine, ample tankage (water, fuel, waste), propance & electric cooking, low amp refrig/freezer, VHF (3), basic nav tools (12V & those not requiring electricty), required safety equiment, dinghy davits, equip. to board from sea, wet suits, diving air supply, spares & tools.

Some common equipment that we are not seeking:
Water maker, life raft, bow thruster, chart plotter, electric windlass

Things I want to add:
AIS

Important note! I'm sharing this as my list, not as a recommended list and I'm sure there are things that I've forgotten to mention.
Old 19-01-2015, 06:24   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393

No, not the first and only thing, but at least you got your sideways jab in to feel superior. You said what would be the first thing I'd add to my boat if I was making the same trip. Liferaft is the only item I need on my boat to feel like I would be ready for what you are proposing. Everything else is ready enough.

Whatever.

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 06:47   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I'm not listing my current equipment as the thread is not just for me, just a generic question.
It's pointless to try to create a list of what people would need for "coastal cruising" or any other type of cruising for that matter. Not long ago I asked people to define "cruiser" and the responses were all over the place from thoughtful to arrogant and even stupid. If we can't agree on a definition, we can't have a meaningful list.

I would define my cruising as "coastal cruising" and I've never felt the need for a water maker, life raft, radar or solar power. But that's me and my style of cruising. Your wants or needs may be different.
Old 19-01-2015, 06:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Next year I plan to quit working, sell the house, and cruise full time. I plan to spend the first years cruising the Eastern US coast, The Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico. I consider all of this really just coastal cruising.

Currently I'm only planning 1 boat upgrade before leaving since there are lots of opportunity to buy stuff as needed so it is best to wait to verify that something really has a need. But if you have/were doing the same trip, what equipment and upgrades would you put on your boat?
Thats great ..All you need is beer,a bucket and a goat,yellow thong optional..I would think hard about the selling the house,my brother thought that and was glad he didnt after the first year,could always rent it out..good luck
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 07:05   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I read the OP as asking about a specific trip/cruising grounds and what others who have done/are doing this same trip/cruising grounds found important to them.

Not was was needed for coastal cruising in general, or coastal cruising in only one of those areas, or coastal cruising in areas different from those.

I would like to add AIS and EPIRB to my list above. In fact, make them the first two items.

None of the passages you will be doing on this circuit are outside of good weather forecasts, so as long as you heed those forecasts, you won't get in much weather trouble. Few of the passages will be very far from land, and all of them will be literally within an hour or so of SAR access. As such, we don't carry a liferaft for these areas, and don't see its necessity for them. When we start to cross oceans, or cruise in areas with much further passages, we may reconsider a liferaft.

On the other hand, you have a Hunter so, based on the expert advice here, maybe you should just jump in a liferaft now?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 07:31   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our route is similar to the OPs, although we're including a bit more northerly cruising (Newfoundland & Canadian Maritimes). The things we've left off the typical equipment list so far are:
  • EPIRB: Even in NFLD, we'll rarely be outside of VHF range.
  • Sat phone &/or SSB: Not clear what our long-range communications needs will be.
  • Watermaker: We carry 200 gallons of water. Will see if we can manage without.
  • Big outboard: We carry a small outboard. Most people say we will regret this decision. We'll see...
  • Liferaft: Hope I don't find out this is needed .
Before heading down the St. Lawrence I am making two additions to the boat: Radar & more solar. Otherwise our list is eerily close to Hudson Force, except we have AIS (receiver only). Love it!

Tags
cruising, equipment, men