Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 21:08   #16

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Commandeered to Cuba

Occam's razor. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. If crew just wanted to get to Cuba then why damage the boat so much that it couldn't sail away. Now they are both caught. So much was sabataged that it's rediculous. Also, why would anyone need a partner for a Cal29. It worth about $2000.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:16   #17

Boat: cal 29

LlcoolDave,
I don't know,he tried to sink the boat with me in it. Perhaps he thought murder is llcool! And could only save himself from a tragic accident.
billpeerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:19   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Forcefully taking command away from the legal captain is the crime of mutiny, and the penalties are quite serious (as in years of incarceration). You may also wish to pursue a civil suit to recover the value of the vessel. If you can prove it, good ole Tyler has a really grim future ahead...

If as LLCoolDave says the boat is worth $2000 then repairs could exceed that. Be as nice (and not demanding) to the Cuban authorities and hope for the best, but don't sink a lot of money into recovery.

LLCoolDave: I think the partnership is larger than just the boat...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:24   #19

LlcoolDave,
I put 15 grand onto her and several months work. She is a fine vessel! Sails true, in 8 ft seas the cockpit was dry as a bone. Why does any sailor do what they do?
Old 04-07-2020, 21:32   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpeerson View Post
Snort,
I saw him touch shore when he turned on his torch. He is in the same hotel as I at this moment. I will have to be on the same flight to Florida. It's been a very uncomfortable 10 days in Havana!
Bill
Just curious, has anyone else seen Tyler but you? Reminds me of lt Tyler in SG1 so might be a poisoning of you proviant with some mushrooms or such? Not saying it's only you but the whole incident sounds so irrational so if real it could be Tyler or both of you not totally clear headed..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:38   #21

Boat: Pearson 367

Well, if everything is true then you have poor financial sense as well as judge of character. People don't have crew on board for 5 months without a few alarms going off before something like this happens.

If I'm wrong then I truly apologize but I'm not buying it at this point.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:38   #22

Teddydriver,
The whole thing has been like the Shining!
Old 04-07-2020, 21:41   #23

LlcoolDave,
Try reading, I sailed TANDEM for 5 months. Advice is welcome, not nonsense
Old 04-07-2020, 21:41   #24

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Further thought, sell the story to Hollywood. I can see in my mind how crazy it would be when Leonardo DiCaprio and Edward Norton play the main characters..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:55   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoka View Post
People, I'm putting my two cents in. As co owner of Dancing Lions. Everything Bill is saying is true and documented by video and pictures. I have the material in my possession. The vessel has not made it to it's final destination , Costa Rica, so it's still flagged in the US. Right now we're just trying to get my partner back to the US. We'll still have to figure out how to get it out of Cuba, and hopefully to port in Costa Rica. Any ideas or assistance in that regard will be appreciated.

If you would post some of that material, I think that would be very useful for others to understand the situation.

And naturally law enforcement. If this took place on a U.S. flag vessel, then U.S. law enforcement will have jurisdiction. If all this happened like you said, then you should be able to have the guy met by LEO when he gets off the plane. Video and photo documentation will help a lot.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 22:12   #26

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Random thoughts.

With all the silliness of the COVID-19 all bets are off.

As a rule Cuba is usually understanding about things like this. I know of more than one case where a boat has entered Cuban waters inadvertently and anchored for a short time seeking safe harbor from bad weather and a Cuban gun boat came out and asked what was going on; when all was said and done the boat left without incident when the weather got a little better. As a rule Cubans don't offer anything close to BoatUS in terms of towing a disabled boat, especially if the boat is anchored and indicates it will leave as soon as possible.

On the other hand if you get in an inflatable and try and go ashore, as is supposed to have happened here, you likely will be met with men with guns and not just get a slap on the wrist.

I know Cuba is closed due to COVID-19 and really does not want anyone visiting; and enforcement is harsh. Still something seems wrong about them grabbing an anchored boat in need of at least minor repairs, especially one not worth big bucks.

It will be interesting to see more facts emerge and how this whole thing plays out.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 00:26   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you would post some of that material, I think that would be very useful for others to understand the situation.

And naturally law enforcement. If this took place on a U.S. flag vessel, then U.S. law enforcement will have jurisdiction. If all this happened like you said, then you should be able to have the guy met by LEO when he gets off the plane. Video and photo documentation will help a lot.
Depending on the content, video and photo documentation could help a lot.

The ways in which this story has unfolded, have caused even more scepticism than usual.

At this point, it is data that will help.

Ann
Old 05-07-2020, 03:30   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Could someone link to whatever more information there is? Was there another thread with a different username? I can easily understand things falling apart at sea, and people going crazy and doing stupid things, but I'd sure like to get a more full summary of the story. @Billpeerson I hope you don't think I'm disbelieving you wholesale, but we all would very much like to have more of the story, even if parts of it are embarrassing to you. It's certainly not your fault if we've all heard so many cock-and-bull stories in beachside pubs and even more on the internet that we're all cynics, but the cure for that is coherent details with proper documentation.
I get it, a hotel in Cuba under police custody probably doesn't come with a fantastic internet connection, but we sure look forward to more info when you get home.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:51   #29

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Huh?
“ Watch out for a Fisher 29, in Key Largo named Osprey, could cost you your life!”

The guy who backed your story up has one post.

This is all really odd.

If legit, please scan and upload any copies of sworn reports made to the USCG. I agree with the others, let the USCG and the local PD know and they’ll meet the plane, well hopefully police have been...selective...in what they police recently.

I’d also wager the boat was worth far more than 2k, if it was able to make this trip it’s worth we’ll north of 2k, every boat at that price is half sunk lol
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:08   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

It was a sad to happen story. Hope things work out.

Lots of the responses here are pretty sad!

Tags
Cuba