Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 08:54   #31

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Commandeered to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It was a sad to happen story. Hope things work out.

Lots of the responses here are pretty sad!

Let’s just say skeptical. I hear this in rod serlings voice myself.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:14   #32

Boat: Baba 35

Please tell me there is a treasure map involved here.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 17:06   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Did some snooping on FB. There is a Tyler with a Fisher 29 who left his boat in Florida to sail to Costa Rica with someone named Bill on a Cal29.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 18:00   #34

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Bill,
I'm going to take a guess here and suggest contacting the FBI. I've got a feeling that Tyler may be also getting his story together to counter your claim.
Yeah, it's a wild story, but weird things do happen and I won't discount what you've said at this point.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 18:27   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not saying they are the ultimate source but I would be interested in what the Cuban government has to say. They tend to not suffer fools easily. Like I posted earlier they tend to leave a boat alone if it is anchored and indicates it entered Cuban waters under duress. On the other hand if you approach the coast in an inflatable at anyplace other than one of the few ports of entry they really take a dim view of that. I an still not understanding why both of these guys were taken into custody.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 19:18   #36
cruiser

We don't know Bill's mental state when he went into the cabin. Maybe Tyler acted out of both of their self preservation, to continue through the Mona passage may not have been feasible. To "shipwreck" on Cuba may have been their best option. There obviously was some sort of disagreement but may have been over whether to attempt the passage or not. Can someone pull up the conditions from June 11 to June 15? I don't think that this Tyler guy was acting (or thought he was acting) in malice. It does seem like that someone or maybe both were deranged at some point but no one was hurt (right?) and they are reportedly at the same hotel which has internet. The problem is the probable loss of the boat to the Cuban authorities.
Old 05-07-2020, 19:46   #37

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If someone goes manic, it can be a complete personality change. Their actions can be significant, decisive and make little sense. Can be quite scary if they take it in their head that you are the problem. Or a major depressive episode might cause someone to retreat to their cabin for a couple of days, not caring what becomes of the voyage, their boat or their life. No idea if these things have anything to do in this case, but they might be valid explanations. My guess is the other side of the story will bear little resemblance to this one.

When I was in Havana a couple of years ago, internet was only available via WiFi in a few public parks. Kind of funny with a park full of people, all staring at their phones. Very slow.

Whatever, I wish you the best of luck getting your boat back.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 19:59   #38

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Originally posted on March 7th. Interesting that the only reference to this story on google and several other search engines is this post on Cruisers Forum . . . Interesting story . . . and not a SINGLE news network is carrying the story?!? Not even the National Enquirer found it credible?!? Amazing . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 20:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Originally posted on March 7th. Interesting that the only reference to this story on google and several other search engines is this post on Cruisers Forum . . . Interesting story . . . and not a SINGLE news network is carrying the story?!? Not even the National Enquirer found it credible?!? Amazing . . .
try 3rd july...
Old 05-07-2020, 23:15   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

Assuming you cleared out of your port of departure with the recalcitrant aboard there should be some sort of documentation that he departed with you as crew. That will place him as being on the vessel.

Of only you were aboard when the Cuban authorities impounded the vessel that fact establishes his having left the vessel and if he was not wet when he stepped ashore that he did so in a stolen tender.

These two facts should be sufficient for you to bring a charge against him and if you can do so with US consular officials present you might be able to establish a case which would allow your departure in your vessel and have him punished for his criminal activities.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44   #41

That Tyler is a horridly-awful person.
I feel terrible for you... and all the other Niger lawyer/princes.

Best wishes!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:17   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
That Tyler is a horridly-awful person.
I feel terrible for you... and all the other Niger lawyer/princes.

Best wishes!
You are insinuating that this is a scam. All that he has asked for is help or advice on how to get his boat back. He said that they fly back to Florida today on a humanitarian flight. I checked and that flight is en route and should land at 1:37 EDT. I also verified (from facebook posts) that these people exist and that the plan was to sail the Cal29 to Costa Rica. Yes, the story is odd but actually a fairly detailed account. There are times when this forum gets used for actual emergencies. People deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt and not rushed to the conclusion that they are scammers, trolls, or liars.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:09   #43

This story is way too fishy. Move on to something better.
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 16:46   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Perhaps the OP has moved on instead. Of course we are all skeptical: the story is very unusual, details are lacking, and we don't know the poster. But so far everything we can check has supported the story. I think the main problem is that the story is lacking any comment on the relationship of the two men and how it evolved aboard, and also what Tyler's motivation would have been. There are any number of ways that this could have played out, and most of them probably aren't too flattering to the OP even if, as seems likely, Tyler was a bad actor. Human relations are messy, and no one likes exposing their failings.

The OP asked for advice on what to do next, and between a lot of garbage he has received it - basically get the USCG involved ASAP. I don't think he owes us an explanation of how things came to pass as they did (no matter how much we may be interested), and I would recommend that it stays that way. I would be very concerned about saying anything that might allow Tyler to mount a libel case, whatever the other legal ramifications are (BTW I am not a lawyer and this should not be construed as legal advice).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 18:31   #45

And the Cubans are probably not keenly interested in keeping the boat. Citizens are not permitted such conveyances and no government purpose for it.

Tags
Cuba