Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 06:41   #151

Re: Common Objects to Defend Your Boat at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

As compared to every other group with which I interface- sailors, power boaters, scientists, business executives, urban school administrators, etc- none come close to exhibiting the finest behavior as I've observed with gun owners. In other words, these aren't just "good guys with guns" these are GREAT neighbors, citizens, and friends with guns.

You and I differ on our perception of violent criminals and our responsibility to ourselves and family. I have never been successfully robbed. A hit to the knee ended that in Quito, a knife to the throat reminded the Tuk Tuk driver in Siam Reap which way the hotel was, a 7.62x51 SLR in Western Province Solomon Islands put an end to the robberies and shooting of valuable rain cisterns, and in USA simply brushing back a jacket gave the perps cause to cross the road and find another victim. I wish I had a crystal ball to determine which criminals, armed or otherwise, only want to relieve me and my family of valuables, and which intend to, or might be incited to, rape, stab or otherwise cause harm. Where can I get such wisdom?

I guess in the US you would be in jail for doing those things? But I guess it's ok to do that in shithole countries. Sounds to me like you are armed looking for a fight.

I know one gun owner. He's ok. From looking at youtube videos they do seem to say sir more than usual though.
Old 23-09-2020, 06:58   #152

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

A little sidenote to the gun fans here.

I am wondering what good all these private guns will do in the US after the election.
Having well trained militias from all different angles of politics with sometimes stronger aresenals than law enforcement officers is a receipe for desaster in my eyes. Especially in a highly devided political climate.

I am so glad that over here only very few very selected people are allowed to have guns.
We have almost no mass shootings over here and crime rates with physical harm are also much lower....

Anyway, what was the subject again??
Old 23-09-2020, 07:17   #153

Boat: Hanse 430e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

Anyway, what was the subject again??
We're talking Bopping bad guys in the head with sinkers!

And some of us are laughing our asses off.
Old 23-09-2020, 08:00   #154

Quote:
Having well trained militias from all different angles of politics with sometimes stronger aresenals than law enforcement officers is a receipe for desaster in my eyes.
It's been that way for centuries now with no "disasters," unless you want to count the Civil War, which was about a whole different matter.

I would not call myself a "gun fan," but neither am I particularly afraid of them. I know a few people that I would be very cautious of, if I knew they had a gun, but only a few. Far and away, most of the people I know, I don't really care if they own guns, as I know they are responsible, law-abiding people.

That said, I definitely do not recommend taking a gun with you to travel around the world. There are just way too many ways to get sideways with the law, in way too many places. Better to avoid areas where you would really feel that having a gun is an absolute necessity.
Old 23-09-2020, 08:39   #155

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Do you have more information on this NYC bust?

Right of Safe Passage should have applied to the boat. You can drive through any state that prohibits firearms as long as you’re traveling fine one state where you can legally possess the firearm to another where you can legally possess it.

It’s a federal law.
A Federal law you will need to take your case to the Supreme court to enforce.

There have been several arrests at NY Airports where the person was flying from one legal gun state to another, and had flight diverted to NY because of weather.

And in international waters US Federal laws do not apply.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:37   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
These discussion are always fascinating, not for the purported solutions to "what common objects to defend your boat" are, but rather as an illustration of who here sees the world as a scary place vs those who see it as a wonderful place.

I suppose if you come from a culture that glorifies violence, and is in fact quite brutal in places, then it makes sense you will carry this approach to sea. To you folks I say, look up and see the world for what it is, not what the flat screen is screaming at you.

There are indeed very dangerous and scary places. These places are largely known. But the world is a big place. Cruising is supposed to be enjoyable, so why would you go to these dangerous places? If you have no choice, then equip yourself accordingly, but for the vast majority of us, there is no need to purposely put ourselves in these spaces.

The rest is just crime, which can happen everywhere. These folks don't want you, they want your cash-convertible bobbles. Most property crimes are opportunistic, so don't give them the opportunity. The few that are planned will be done with odds stacked well in the criminals. Escalating the violence in these cases will likely lead to a bad end -- for you.

Well lets see, there have been boats at anchor attacked in every country in the world, even the USA. from Florida to Texas, and especially Brownsville, Corpus Christi boaters have been boarded, kidnapped, killed, and their boat stolen.

Criminals have figured out, it's real easy to rob a dead guy, no whining, no time limit, and no worries about him calling the police when you are gone.

This happens even in the "nice" countries that have helpfully insured the victims are unarmed.

Pirate attacks have occurred recently across the Mediterranean coast, and most of the Caribbean, and of course West, South, East, and North Africa.

Skipping a 3rd world island that fails to enforce its laws is doable, hard to skip an entire Continent.

We enjoyed a brief window of civilization after WW2 until now, where crime worldwide was way down, and most of the world was 99% safe. Certainly safe enough that the risk of a violent attack was low.

Of course, sucks to be the person whacked to death by machete, or shot with AK-47 by Revolutionaries, or criminal before they were caught by law enforcement, but sacrifices have to be made.

As we've seen recently with Covid the privilege of international travel by boat may be drawing to a close, and can be terminated at any time.

As far as those who say "they just want money, hand over your valuables, and you will be fine".

That works in about 30% of the attacks, and of course the 70% who were murdered in cold blood after handing over their money aren't here to discuss it.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:46   #157

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Well lets see, there have been boats at anchor attacked in every country in the world,
Just because something has happened, doesn't say anything about how likely it is to happen. People have been struck by meteors, but I suspect you aren't worried about it happening to you.

Quote:
That works in about 30% of the attacks, and of course the 70% who were murdered in cold blood after handing over their money aren't here to discuss it.
I'm tempted to just call BS here, but I'll give you a chance. Validate this astounding claim. Show me credible evidence that 70% of property crime ends up in "cold blooded murder."

BTW, this is exactly the kind of post I was referring to in the one you quoted, so I guess I should thank you for proving my point .
Old 23-09-2020, 09:49   #158

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
An engineer I worked with owned a bar in down town Rochester when riots broke out circa 1965.
I asked Jim the next morning if he went down and checked on his bar last night. A sensible answer, " You wouldn't find my black a$$ down there after dark." Some people make the right decisions as it pertains to threat levels.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:59   #159

There is always that one guy.

Accuses others of overestimating threat, then underestimates it.

Lets see what the experts have to say.

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=232151

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...-piracy--28281

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news...obal-map-34955

https://compass.coastguard.blog/2011...cks-occur/amp/

https://stableseas.org/publications/...018-human-cost

Note the large percentage of attacks that ended in Kidnapping or death.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:13   #160

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33trippindaisy View Post
my question will always be "What do you tell your wife after they hurt her and she asks YOU why you didn't stop them"......that IS my answer and always will be.
My question is: "You really think women are incapable of protecting themselves and need a man to do it?"

Looks like that live-fire exercise with out hearing protection affected more than your hearing...
Old 23-09-2020, 10:16   #161

Quote:
I am wondering what good all these private guns will do in the US after the election.
We'll be fine.

We always are.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:16   #162

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

There have been several arrests at NY Airports where the person was flying from one legal gun state to another, and had flight diverted to NY because of weather.

And in international waters US Federal laws do not apply.
I was talking about driving. And I have been stopped. With firearms. No problem. You just have to be transiting through and they cannot be accessible from the car cabin and must be unloaded, ammo locked. I think this is another one of those cases where people get too paranoid on this forum.

Do you know what else doesn’t apply in international waters? New York State law. LOL.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:18   #163

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ca...%20on%20yachts.

“Kidnap-for-ransom continues to plague the region, which is a trend that has unfortunately continued from 2016,” Pigeon said

OBP estimated that pirates carted off nearly $1 million in stolen goods in attacks in Latin America and the Caribbean.

12 boaters dead after pirate gang attack anchorage.

Guyana President David Granger called the attack a “massacre.”

New York Post

8,000 pirate attacks in the last 10 years, so a little more often than meteorites.

Out of what? 100,000 recreational sailors?

8% is significant.

Sure just innocent fishermen selling fish, but when they climb aboard with weapons out, they aren't going to "sell" you the fish.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:19   #164

Quote:
Really??? Then what's the purpose of all those Federal District Courts?
Old 23-09-2020, 10:23   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Really??? Then what's the purpose of all those Federal District Courts?
Seriously?

Wait A Second!: Second Circuit upholds New York's gun laws under the Second Amendment

Closed Thread

Tags
boat