Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2023, 18:06   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Community effort request Mission Blue

I watched for the first time a documentary "Mission Blue" and I was very muched moved. Because, as with the observations of Dr. Sylvia Alice Earle I have observed in my lifetime the degredation of coral reefs and sea life. She's an amazing pioneer scientist in oceanography, biology , etc . Very well accomplished,. If you are unable to view the dicumenertty i'd urge you to read up on her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Earle

Her documentary is on Netflix
https://www.netflix.com/title/703082...entIntent=true

And the mission blue web site
https://missionblue.org/

I'm posting on cruisers forum for a rally of support amongst some of our caring sailors to help fund raising for her mission to create "HOPE SPOTS" , which are creating protected ocean areas similar to national parks and reserves as we do on land but instead in sensitive ocean habitats.

I just feel as a community we can probably make a great difference. So I'm asking if enough sailors are interested in helping. It doesn't necessarily involve personal financial assistance. I'm just starting this quest to feel out interest in participating.

So can we as a small community help? Who's interested?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 18:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Community effort request Mission Blue

A great idea... beats the hell out of the hypocrisy of the EU's fishery/sea conservation farce..
Their idea of protecting the ocean is to send their factory ships to hoover up the Indian Oceans fish stocks.. stuffed up the North Sea and Atlantic with them already, so let's rape and pillage others waters.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 18:51   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Community effort request Mission Blue

Yes it's very alarming. Fish stocks across all species is down to unprecedented, unsustainable lows.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 18:59   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Great idea. I'm interested in seeing what we can do as a community. You might consider contacting Ocean Research Project, Matt Rutherford and Nicole Trenholm. They might be able to help scale the project.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 17:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Community effort request Mission Blue

Another thing that is either totally ignored or unknown by many is, not only are we depleting the fish towards the top of the food chain in the oceans we are depleting the supply of the food for marine life to thrive and multiply.
Krill is the most fished animal in the Southern Ocean. Their oily bodies are either used in pharmaceuticals as an alternative source of omega-3, fed to livestock and aquaculture fish, used in pet food or a small amount are even prepared for humans to eat.. the new Gold Rush.
You hear all this bull about Carbon Capture from the 'elite' yet here we are fishing a life form capable of removing 12 billion + tonnes of Carbon from the atmosphere every year.
That total decreases every year that the ships operate.
But hey.. The shareholders of the corporations are happy, the upcoming shareholders of the latest scientific Carbon Capture and Storage plants will be just as happy..
Why worry about something that has worked efficiently in the Natural World for millions of years when you can make loadsa money and invent a (you hope) substitute..

"By eating phytoplankton and excreting carbon and nutrient-rich pellets that sink to the seafloor, Antarctic krill are an integral part of the carbon cycle and a key contributor of iron and other nutrients that fertilise the ocean"

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing that is either totally ignored or unknown by many is, not only are we depleting the fish towards the top of the food chain in the oceans we are depleting the supply of the food for marine life to thrive and multiply.
Krill is the most fished animal in the Southern Ocean..
Indeed!
A study [1], published in 2022, by researchers in Chile, concluded that by 2100, the krill population biomass will undergo “a marked decline” that could range “from <50% to near extinction”; and that “environmental variability resulted in a greater impact on the Antarctic food web in 2100 projections compared with the krill fishery.”

[1] “Projecting environmental and krill fishery impacts on the Antarctic” ~ by G. Testa et al
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...79661122001215

See also:

“Krill fishing and conservation in the Southern Ocean” ~ by the British Antarctic Survey [BAS]
https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/...outhern-ocean/

“Climate change and overfishing threaten once ‘endless’ Antarctic krill” ~ by Elizabeth C. Alberts
https://news.mongabay.com/2022/08/cl...tarctic-krill/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote