Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 15:16   #1

Cost to hire a captain?

Hey everyone,

I am looking at possibly hiring someone to MOTOR a sailboat about 200NM in the Greater Toronto Area. I am trying to figure out a fair rate (and if anyone who reads this is interested).

Any guidance? Is it typically per NM fees?

Thanks and looking forward to any feedback you guys may have.
ThePIFFProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 15:26   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Cost to hire a captain?

Someone here might do it for free out of sheer boredom. Can it sail too? (if the wind is right)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 15:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Someone here might do it for free out of sheer boredom. Can it sail too? (if the wind is right)
It "has" sails but are not on the boat (will come with the boat).

I wouldn't expect it free and I'm happy to put some coin in someones pocket to help me get my first boat to the marina! Plus a couple of cold ones

I'm in a position where I found a boat; I have it tied up; it's about 180 NM from the one marina still open in the Greater Toronto area haha.

For redundancy of the engine and safety; I'd also be buying an outboard and dinghy to hip-toe in a worst case scenario.
Old 27-11-2020, 15:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Suggest you get a Moderator to add TORONTO to your post.
We have several CF members in the GTA.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 16:03   #5

Boat: Hylas 54

Captains I know have always charged by the day. $200-$300 USD/day is typical, but varies a lot based on things...
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 16:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Suggest you get a Moderator to add TORONTO to your post.
We have several CF members in the GTA.
That's a great idea and thanks! I will try to do that now!
Old 27-11-2020, 16:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Captains I know have always charged by the day. $200-$300 USD/day is typical, but varies a lot based on things...
Very much in line with what I was expecting. Plus a couple of cold ones of course
Old 27-11-2020, 16:07   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Typically the rate is per day, plus travel and expenses. Last year I paid $350 per day plus $150 for crew. I paid for travel days and lay days due to weather. The year before I paid half rate for weather delay days and travel days. Do not go for lowest rate. Quality captains charge a fair rate. Those starting or trying to build a book of business, while not necessarily bad, are hard to judge until the delivery is complete.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 16:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Typically the rate is per day, plus travel and expenses. Last year I paid $350 per day plus $150 for crew. I paid for travel days and lay days due to weather. The year before I paid half rate for weather delay days and travel days. Do not go for lowest rate. Quality captains charge a fair rate. Those starting or trying to build a book of business, while not necessarily bad, are hard to judge until the delivery is complete.
Seems completely fair - I am new (and excited) to have my first boat but I do know that I need some time to learn what I'm doing which is why I need it delivered.
Old 27-11-2020, 18:24   #10

Boat: Grampian 26

Congratulations on your boat. You're first boat purchase is always exciting. I sail out of Whitby, and if nothing works out for you I'll be happy to help you out for no other reason than to see a happy first time owner and help a fellow sailor start the adventures. [emoji3]

Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
Congratulations on your boat. You're first boat purchase is always exciting. I sail out of Whitby, and if nothing works out for you I'll be happy to help you out for no other reason than to see a happy first time owner and help a fellow sailor start the adventures. [emoji3]

Tim
Hey Tim!

My handle is PIFF which stands for Pay it Forward Fund! The goal for this first boat of mine is to learn then pay it forward by raffling it off for charity after I do the Great Loop!

Myself, my mom and friends are excited for me too! I am just scared for my first time to do it with no experience. This is a big purchase but for a rewarding cause plus I learn the freedom of boat life which my heart has wanted for YEARS!

Its a Hughes 31 which is not a big nor fancy boat but I will love it and make it beautiful!

If I can't find a delivery option and if youre willing to help I am willing to pay you the above posted rates in local Canadian funds + beer If you're open to the option then I'd LOVE the help. I'm really excited for a future live-aboard cruiser lifestyle. I've been dreaming of this for the longest time!

With regards,
Jordan
Old 28-11-2020, 04:12   #12

Boat: Grampian 26

That's sounds exciting! And your adventures sound like they will be excellent CF material. Sounds like you are getting plenty of offers, but if it were me, I'd pick a captain with maintenance experience with your engine. 200 NM doesn't sound like much ..... Until you're paddling. My boat has an outboard and I pay a professional to maintain it as I've learned the hard way. Can fix plenty of things, just sub par with engines. Just some things to consider and my offer to help is still out there if nothing else.

Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 09:29   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Please also put Hughes 31 in your profile.

You should really set up the sails for safety reasons. A hip tow with a dinghy would be a very difficult backup this time of year in lake Ontario.

If you are planning day travel only it would be a four day trip, non stop about two days. Are there places to stop that are open in December? What engine is in it? Is the engine in good shape? Does the boat have an autopilot?

These are the first questions a professional captain will ask. They will affect how many crew should be aboard. For non stop a minimum of three are needed. An autopilot makes the journey lass fatiguing.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:05   #14

The rate would depend on the qualifications of the captain. I would say at least $300/day for a decently qualified captain, plus travel to/from the boat, plus food. If traveling during day time only, on average 6 knots per hour, at least 4 days (weather may be a consideration at this time of the year and may slow down the process). If traveling at night as well, probably you need two people (or at least a more qualified captain), with added cost, unless you are the second crew and go along with the captain.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:08   #15

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePIFFProject View Post
Hey Tim!

My handle is PIFF which stands for Pay it Forward Fund! The goal for this first boat of mine is to learn then pay it forward by raffling it off for charity after I do the Great Loop!

Myself, my mom and friends are excited for me too! I am just scared for my first time to do it with no experience. This is a big purchase but for a rewarding cause plus I learn the freedom of boat life which my heart has wanted for YEARS!

Its a Hughes 31 which is not a big nor fancy boat but I will love it and make it beautiful!

If I can't find a delivery option and if youre willing to help I am willing to pay you the above posted rates in local Canadian funds + beer If you're open to the option then I'd LOVE the help. I'm really excited for a future live-aboard cruiser lifestyle. I've been dreaming of this for the longest time!

With regards,
Jordan
I think I'd take Tim up on that offer. It'll give you an early advance on learning about the boat with somebody more experienced. If it's just motoring, it shouldn't be that big a deal but I would attempt to raise the sails at some point just so you know how it's done. The condition of the auxiliary motor will be critical not just here but also in the future as you'll need something reliable for entering marinas at the very least. Maybe save the beer for the docks - you won't learn much if you're faced half the time
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain