Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 13:21   #1

Boat: Robinson 51
Cruising and Sailing Advocacy Groups in Hawaii

Aloha, Oh Great and Powerful Forum,

I'm looking to network with cruiser sailor social groups or advocacy groups active in Hawaii. We are among the fleet of boats arriving to the Islands as refugees from the South Pacific.

It's pretty clear after only three days here that Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is in way over their heads regarding whatever direction they've been given to deal with us private yachtsmen.

For example, we've been placed in a two-week quarantine aboard the vessel (no, passage time is not considered, and no, I'm not complaining, it's only two weeks, and I'm on my boat), but they're also applying 72-hour anchoring restrictions. So we're in quarantine for two weeks, but we have to move the boat to a new anchorage every three days. Obviously, there's no oversight of the quarantine (not complaining about this either).

Further, despite reading through all of the Governor's proclamations in response to COVID-19, I can actually find no legal basis for quarantining incoming recreational yachts who've been at sea for more than two weeks, the focus is entirely on entry by air, which makes sense. When I have broached the topic with DLNR and one Harbor Master, I get a very defensive 'just do it. Everybody has to follow the same rules,' which is not a precedent we should allow to go unanswered, ever.

Long story just a little bit longer. I am not looking to get out of quarantine or out of following the rules. I am looking to do something to improve the working relationship between those of us who have made an unexpected visit to the Hawaiian Islands, and the local authorities who clearly don't understand our situation and have no idea what to do about it. We're not here to pollute Hawaiian waters, or dump our derelict vessels, or disrupt their lives. Honestly, they need help, and it's not like I have anything else to do.

Thanks for any information.
Departing2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 18:40   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Cruising and Sailing Advocacy Groups in Hawaii

Hawaii is not boater friendly. The 72hour rule has been in effect for many years and the rule is loosely enforced. Some Harbor Masters may be stricter than others in enforcing it. The clubs (Waikiki and Hawaii) in the Ala Wai and I believe the state docks are trying to accommodate the boaters arriving from various locations. Kaneohe may have slips available also. I know of a boat that got a slip at Ko Olina on the west side of Oahu. I would not go to Molokai or Lanai at this point. The are not a lot of good safe anchors in the islands.
The state is having all visitors arriving to the state quarantine for 14 day even Hawaii residents traveling interisland. Kaneohe Bay may be your best option go anchor for the two 14 days.
I have heard that a couple of boats have received waivers on the 14 day requirement. It is not being that strictly enforced. They have put some people on planes back to there home states.
Not going to get in to the discussion whether it is ring or wrong or legal at this point. There are good boater support group here on Oahu.
There is a facebook page Oahu Sailing that you may want to post your questions on.
Not sure which island you are on currently.
Old 01-05-2020, 21:57   #3

Boat: Robinson 51

Thanks, Gudgeon, for the great info.
Departing2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:34   #4

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing2017 View Post
Long story just a little bit longer. I am not looking to get out of quarantine or out of following the rules. I am looking to do something to improve the working relationship between those of us who have made an unexpected visit to the Hawaiian Islands, and the local authorities who clearly don't understand our situation and have no idea what to do about it. We're not here to pollute Hawaiian waters, or dump our derelict vessels, or disrupt their lives. Honestly, they need help, and it's not like I have anything else to do.
You pretty much nailed the DLNR style.

I wish you the best of luck improving the relations. I have tried to be one of those boaters who makes their job easier and therefore soften their position. "To be fair", there have been so many giving us a bad name for so many years that DLNR really discourages any improvement in relations. Additionally, the huge homeless population in Hawaii contributes to the problem.

DLNR employees know the rules, and being reasonable isn't going to come into play. They are administrators, not boaters. They are looking out for their jobs and they are very closely scrutinized.

I just this week paid an inspector to do the DLNR job. They aren't going out to do their job during the lockdown, but they can force me to stay current on their inspection. I am fortunate to have known that they were not going to be reasonable about any matters concerning my boat, therefore I gave power of attorney to a trusted knowledgeable friend in order to deal with them during my extended absence.

Honestly, my advise it to do everything you can to avoid getting financially trapped there, and work on your options to moving on as soon as possible.

My boat is there. I have plans to sell it, but not in Hawaii. But if I can't break out of where I am in Asia, my boat will only become derelict where it is, as is the boat I plan to replace it with. Will the company that I plan to buy my upgrades from survive this?

We are all vulnerable, and there are too many unknowns to see our way out of this clearly. Too have already lost their lives. Some will take their own lives as financial devastation sets in.

Sorry to go down that road. Sadly, Hawaii is not a been a cruising community destination for a reason. Now it is only worse.

Best of luck.... to us all
Old 02-05-2020, 08:19   #5

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

Dearly Departing2017 ( I hope not...)
Welcome back to the USA...

You have obviously had experience with government operated systems policy... and been to the edge of the known world where all the water falls into empty space...

I am reminded of a lady Malaysian Customs Officer that took me outside the barricades and around the very long way to where she knew she could hand me a free safe glass of water. Some people get it and the majority are what by brother refers to as sheep elfs or something to that effect, totally lacking in the magic of purposeful understanding and execution of the ideas behind the science of safe sanitation...

Please keep us posted with the I hope patient and humorous experiences you encounter. Should you arrive in Los Angeles area, I would like to learn of your travels first hand. I am sailing a 3400 sf organic garden at the moment and finishing my last (I hope) land side construction project.

I found and hired a consultant to speed me through this hurdle!

My partner is a Wuhan Warrior... and we grow wonderful surplus that we sell 2 days a week from the front yard. Picked and bagged while you wait for a moment!

Cheers. Enjoy each moment and savor government... it has a place or not.

Uncle Ben, aka Crusty...
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:54   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

I'm looking to network with cruiser sailor social groups or advocacy groups active in Hawaii. We are among the fleet of boats arriving to the Islands as refugees from the South Pacific.

It's pretty clear after only three days here that Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is in way over their heads regarding whatever direction they've been given to deal with us private yachtsmen.

For example, we've been placed in a two-week quarantine aboard the vessel (no, passage time is not considered, and no, I'm not complaining, it's only two weeks, and I'm on my boat), but they're also applying 72-hour anchoring restrictions. So we're in quarantine for two weeks, but we have to move the boat to a new anchorage every three days. Obviously, there's no oversight of the quarantine (not complaining about this either).

Further, despite reading through all of the Governor's proclamations in response to COVID-19, I can actually find no legal basis for quarantining incoming recreational yachts who've been at sea for more than two weeks, the focus is entirely on entry by air, which makes sense. When I have broached the topic with DLNR and one Harbor Master, I get a very defensive 'just do it. Everybody has to follow the same rules,' which is not a precedent we should allow to go unanswered, ever.

The first thing you need to realize is that the bureaucracy in Hawaii makes Australia look tame. 33% of the population is employed by the state or Federal government (guess how they vote) I'm assuming you're in Keehi Lagoon as that is the only anchorage I can recall outside of Kaneohe Bay. Check out the La Mariana Yatch Club if you ever get off your boat - a classic Tiki Bar and restaurant ( and you don't have to be a member). And yes, Hawaii is in no way boater friendly, many of the boats formally in the Ala Wai Yatch Harbor have moved to Keehi to avoid the raised slip fees and hoards of homeless people that squat on and rob unattended boats there. Your best bet is to head for the west coast ASAP. Note of caution: this trip is upwind and can take up to a month to complete.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05   #7

14 day quarantine is the norm for all non-essential interstate travel in the USA. Not every state but most all. It provides hotels a bit of business as persons go crawl into a hotel and stay in their room for two weeks. This applies to everyone entering a State, residents or non-residents that are not traveling for essential purposes, albeit residents can self-isolate in the home if they are not a new entry to a cohabitating group, i.e. say your family.

Well at least Hawaii is presently allowing entry, many countries are not, some are not even allowing for repatriation of their citizens or permanent residents.

But then no one is supposed to be undergoing non-essential travel anyway and the 14 day self-isolation period certainly discourages discretionary, non-essential travel so as to institute non-pharmaceutical intervention practices during the pandemic. Avoiding unnecessary contacts is the norm and will be.

And no, days on board traveling do not count under standard quarantine protocols, anywhere. Quarantine starts upon acceptance of entry, most countries requiring specific health data on each person on board at check in and then the incubation clock begins.

14 days is much less than a true quarantine. Quaranta is Italian for forty and forty days at anchor was the standard period of time before a ship could moor to land and disembark persons or cargo.

Welcome safely back to the USA.

Enjoy the quattordici giorni / fourteen days.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:19   #8

Quote:

FYI;

The Governor Ige' emergency orders are published on the official website:

http://https://governor.hawaii.gov/n...hrough-may-31/

The basis for the orders is readily evident: "WHEREAS, COVID-19 continues to endanger the health, safety, and welfare of the people of Hawai‘i and a response requires the serious attention, effort, and sacrifice of all people in the State to avert unmanageable strains on our healthcare system and other catastrophic impacts to the State;"

https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...ion-signed.pdf

Specifically as to boating:

2. Boating Restrictions. No more than two persons are allowed in any
boat on Hawaiʻi’s waters for recreational purposes unless they are part of a
single residential or family unit sharing the same address. Both persons in the boat shall comply as reasonably possible with the social distancing requirements unless they are part of a single residential or family unit sharing the same address. All boats shall maintain a distance of 20 feet from other boats when in use. This restriction does not apply to fishing as allowed in Section III.A.3 of this Proclamation.

As the quarantine upon arrival:

IV. All Persons Traveling to the State or Traveling Inter-Island
A. Traveling to the State
Pursuant to section 127A-13(a)(1), HRS, all persons entering the State of
Hawaiʻi shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine, except those persons
performing critical infrastructure functions as identified in Section III.A of this Proclamation. The period of self-quarantine shall begin from the time of entry into the State of Hawaiʻi and shall last 14 days or the duration of the person’s presence in the State of Hawaiʻi, whichever is shorter.
B. Traveling Inter-Island
1. Pursuant to section 127A-13(a)(1), HRS, all persons traveling
between any of the islands in the State of Hawai‘i shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine. The period of self-quarantine shall begin from the date of entry onto the island and shall last 14 days.
2. Persons traveling between islands for purposes related to medical
or health care will not be subject to the self-quarantine so long as they wear
appropriate protective gear and follow the social distancing requirements
identified in Section III.D of this Proclamation.
3. Persons traveling between islands to perform critical infrastructure
functions as identified in Section III.A of this Proclamation will be subject to self quarantine while away from their island residence but may break quarantine to perform necessary functions. Upon return to their island residence, such persons will not be subject to the self-quarantine so long as they wear appropriate protective gear and follow the social distancing requirements identified in Section III.D of this Proclamation.

C. Force and Effect of Law
Pursuant to section 127A-25, HRS, all provisions set forth in Section IV of
this Proclamation and the Rules Relating to COVID-19 Travel Quarantine, Exhibit D attached hereto, are hereby adopted as rules and shall have the force and effect of law. (These rules are hereinafter referred to as the “Travel Quarantine Rules”).

Pursuant to section 127A-29, HRS, any person who intentionally or
knowingly violates the Travel Quarantine Rules shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction, the person shall be fined not more than $5,000, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Section IV of this Proclamation shall take effect on April 26, 2020 at
12:01 am and remain in place until 11:59 pm on May 31, 2020.

STAY-AT-HOME ORDER ACROSS THE STATE THROUGH MAY 31

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 in Latest News, Press Releases

Governor Ige extends stay-at-home order across the state through May 31

Mandatory 14-day quarantine for travelers, eviction moratorium also continue

HONOLULU – Gov. David Ige signed a 6th supplementary emergency proclamation extending the stay-at-home order across the state through May 31.

“This was not an easy decision. I know this has been difficult for everyone. Businesses need to reopen. People want to end this self-isolation and we want to return to normal,” said Gov. Ige. “But this virus is potentially deadly, especially for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. Thanks to our residents, we are flattening the curve, saving lives, and avoiding a resurgence of this virus by not reopening prematurely.”

The stay-at-home order means residents may leave their homes only for various essential needs, including healthcare, purchasing food, medicine, gasoline, taking care of the elderly, minors, or those with disabilities, returning to a place of residence outside of Hawai‘i, picking up educational materials for distance learning, receiving meals or other related services. Outdoor exercise is also permitted – including swimming, surfing and walking pets.

In addition, running, jogging or walking on the beach will be permitted, as long as social distancing requirements are observed.

Also extended through the end of May — the 14-day quarantine for both visitors and residents entering the state and for inter-island travelers.

The eviction moratorium, which prevents any eviction from a residential dwelling for failure to pay rent, also remains in effect through May 31.

In addition, social distancing requirements remain in place across the state through the end of May.

Gov. Ige issued the initial emergency proclamation for COVID-19 on Mar. 4, 2020 followed by:

Mar. 16: Supplementary proclamation suspending certain laws to enable state and county responses to COVID-19
Mar. 21: Second supplementary proclamation implementing mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for visitors and residents entering the State of Hawai‘i
Mar. 23: Third supplementary proclamation mandating social distancing measures throughout the state
Mar. 31: Fourth supplementary proclamation implementing a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for people traveling between the islands in the State of Hawai‘i
Apr. 16: Fifth supplementary proclamation implementing enhanced social distancing requirements and an eviction moratorium
Old 02-05-2020, 10:54   #9

I'm here at Hawaii Yacht Club. "I've heard" that the latest state policy is that all boats arriving in the state go to Keehi Basin and pick up a mooring. Remain on the mooring 14 days in self quarantine. But "I've also heard" that a boat with a confirmed reservation at Ko Olina was told they could come directly there, check in and do the quarantine there. Your results may vary . . .
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:04   #10

FYI:

The proper signal flag to be displaying upon checking into Hawaii waters for the fourteen day period of self-isolation is the Lima flag.

The Q flag is for requesting free pratique and since that is not being granted during the pandemic under the emergency orders, a Q flag is not the appropriate signal to be displaying.

The Newport area, Rhode Island sentinels require the flying of the Lima Flag for the 14 day self-isolation period of all non-Rhode Island and Providence Plantations vessels or personages while at anchor and since that harbor has a fourteen day limit for anchoring, the boat must then depart the harbor or move to a marina. There is no disembarking during the 14 day period.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2020, 11:26   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

JMHO, I would approach it with hat in hand not questioning a legality.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:29   #12

Boat: Tartan T4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
I'm here at Hawaii Yacht Club. "I've heard" that the latest state policy is that all boats arriving in the state go to Keehi Basin and pick up a mooring. Remain on the mooring 14 days in self quarantine. But "I've also heard" that a boat with a confirmed reservation at Ko Olina was told they could come directly there, check in and do the quarantine there. Your results may vary . . .
Briblack US Customs and immigration came and did an inspection at Waikiki Yacht Club in the last week to 10 days. I do not know if Hawaii department of Ag came down or not. It does seem the rules vary by who you speak to one boat was told 14 days on the boat no exceptions, another boat was told they could get off the boat and grocery shop, exercise, medical appointments and even go to west marine. Do you know if DLRN or Hawaii Dept of Ag has that documented any where? I believe there are a few more boats coming from SOPAC and are planning on going straight to the Ala Wai.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05   #13

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We've kept our yacht at Keehi Marine Center for the past 10 years, except for the tsunami rebuild period we spent at Ko Olina. It sounds to me like the best place to spend your quarantine is on a ball in Keehi Lagoon. There are a few available. I wouldn't try the State marina as they are pretty ragged. Let me know if we can help. Both our sons live aboard our Pearson 424 ketch.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 13:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

This is typical of Hawaii's government agencies at the state, county and city level. It all a hot mess. Right now they are using groups of up to five cops to arrest new arrivals for "breaking" the quarantine rules which change by the minute. A SWAT team from either the State Sheriff Dept. or HPD yesterday arrested and dragged off one woman in handcuffs who was sitting on the ground at the capital peacefully protesting the shut-down and lock-up. She was in a group of hundreds of people doing the same thing but she and only one or two others were arrested. Good luck at finding a welcome port.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 14:22   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Find a Japanese-American resident who has cousin in that department. Friend them. Nice dinners, etc. Easiest way to get things done in Hawai'i.

Tags
cruising, hawaii, sail, sailing