Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 10:56   #46

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Defintion of a crusier

Is this CRAP an open source project? Or do you intend to seek venture capital, monetize it, and then take it public through a very private IPO?

In either case, here are a few planes you seem to have forgotten:

Number of hulls (and please don’t limit that to one or two, some of us prefer three).

Anchors - new-gen vs. old-gen, rollbar or none, concave vs. convex fluke with a special little corner for fisherman proponents.

A completely separate plane for anchor rode combined with bridle/snubber technologies.

Of course the plane for Volvo/Yanmar outrageous spare parts prices engines vs. low-price, available anywhere Kubota tractor-based engines (somehow squeezing in saildrive vs. shaft and fixed vs. folding vs. feathering).

Vlog vs. blog vs. I really don’t want to share my life...

It seems you are going to need an infinitely extensible platform with some AI functionality. For a small percentage of the CRAP I can put you in touch with a solid developer who has at least 6 months of experience in this area.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:05   #47

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
What fun, Macblaze! Your ever-growing charts are so complicatedly fun! a holograph chart that actually turns around in space, popping up from my personal R2-D2 would take your idea to the next level. could you do this?.

wolfie
Now we are cooking with lithium-powered induction!

Old 08-03-2020, 11:10   #48

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Now we are cooking with lithium-powered induction!

Impressive!

now if you could turn that little man there (cause today is March 8th, the other days it can be a guy) into a female dressed in white with braided buns around her ears

on the other days, when it is a little man, he'll need his hands out of his pockets. he'll need his wallet open too

after all, the fact that cruisers have their wallets open is the reuniting Force
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Is this CRAP an open source project? Or do you intend to seek venture capital, monetize it, and then take it public through a very private IPO?
Obviously it is open source but I get sole credit. Sort of like Linux but better. My name should forever be associated with CRAP!

Quote:
Number of hulls (and please don’t limit that to one or two, some of us prefer three).
It's people like you...sigh. Here we are having a nice, polite discussion and you have to bring up...ugh...hulls. Disgusting. Simply disgusting. Some people have no sense of decorum or appropriateness.

Quote:
Anchors - new-gen vs. old-gen, rollbar or none, concave vs. convex fluke with a special little corner for fisherman proponents.

A completely separate plane for anchor rode combined with bridle/snubber technologies.
Now anchors. While that is certainly a reasonable topic for gentlepersons in polite company, it of course has no bearing on one's suitability to aspire to the title of cruiser. I stand by those famous words uttered so long ago..."Anchor? We don't need no stinkin' anchor!"
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12   #50

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Its all about the CF Demographics.
The OP brings up a topic I've had in my head since one of those Cat vs Mono threads where you hear "You are at anchor 90% of the time". That prompted me to count the days I was out sailing, vs sitting on the hook all day. In the year my family cruised the Caribbean we sailed 155 out of 365 with 19 overnights. That's about 42% days sailing to 57% on the hook.

What I think we, OP and I, are getting at is that the advice we get here on CF is highly affected by the CF demographics and what works well for one person will not necessarily for others.

It would be cool to see an ongoing demographics thread where a new question is asked of the CF demographics each week.... ex. How many days did you sail last year? How many mile under your keel last year? What's your Age? What's your annual sailing budget? What length and type (mono, cat, Tri) boat do you sail? etc....
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post

It would be cool to see an ongoing demographics thread where a new question is asked of the CF demographics each week.... ex. How many days did you sail last year? How many mile under your keel last year? What's your Age? What's your annual sailing budget? What length and type (mono, cat, Tri) boat do you sail? etc....
Yet another competitor. There is no "we" in CRAP. I believe I have proven that a simple 50-character designation is sufficient. Or if you must, SailorBoy's longhand version is a suitable, if inelegant, substitute. The idea of asking questions and then compiling and reporting demographic data smacks of some sort of intelligentsia elitism.

signed,
Shorebound|Bored|30daysorbust|Hunter-loving|breadbaker|IsItSpringYet|downwithcheapimita tions|CRAPLord
Old 08-03-2020, 12:48   #52

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The person who said, "Cruising, is fixing your boat in exotic locations," pretty much nailed it.
After following several world cruisers now for a couple years what they do vs what I do is not even close LOL
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 13:05   #53

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We already do this quite effectively.

Within months of my first engagement with Cruising Forum people figured out my context, and decided it was so oddball and extreme that they might as well ignore almost all of what I say.

That has persisted to this day.

Rather than self-identify with some cumbersome categorization all you have to do is provide opinions for a while and people will figure out who you are pretty well.

I certainly would not ignore what you say, given your world-wide sailing (yes, cruising!) experience. On the other hand, I notice Wings has no toe-rails, so you could not possibly be a real cruiser!!

The ones I ignore are those engaging in verbal combat.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 14:00   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My, macblaze,

Super thread! Love the rotating holographic gizmo! Well done.

Ann
Old 08-03-2020, 14:37   #55

Dear Sir!

So you have l helped me out. I know where I am and what I am ,
for the first time in many years.

I used to build boats, and skiffs, and 505s, and race anything I could and chase girls. and drink too much!!

About forty years ago Some one introduced me as a " Shipwright" I liked that and was flattered.
Now my emphasis seems to have slid down a bit to suit necessity
and I am adjusting to my new Happy Role as "Shitwright"

Michael Anthony Pope dob Jan 13/ 1933 Busy avoiding Carona sickness
I never did like that beer!
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 14:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pope View Post
About forty years ago Some one introduced me as a " Shipwright" I liked that and was flattered.
Now my emphasis seems to have slid down a bit to suit necessity
and I am adjusting to my new Happy Role as "Shitwright"
Hey! My first convert to Crapology! Remember, we are all Shitwrights together.
Old 08-03-2020, 17:39   #57

Boat: Hudson 50

Haha. Pretty good . I’ll get back to you on that App idea 😀
Old 08-03-2020, 18:03   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

not so long ago, if people were asked to define a " fast automobile"...they would have answered " a model T"
skip forward a few years and ask the same question and the answer would likely be .."a Ferrari....."
In a few more years the answer will likely be...." a Tesla"....or something along those lines.....

Back in my day, the definition of a cruiser does not even remotely resemble the outpouring of modern products from Beneteau...Gunboat, etc....

To this wildly speculative guessing game one also needs to add a " time period"....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 18:07   #59

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Mmmm beer. Or more importantly beer vs wine vs grog. Did you know those pernicious European boat builders are building in wineracks with absolutely no thought to a pressurized beer tap? Outrageous!

And I see you have wenches. I completely forgot "Wenches, clothing thereof." Is bikini-clad good enough or do we need to further divide into thong, micro and topless?

Well if you have copious amounts of beer I’ll go topless
Old 08-03-2020, 18:14   #60

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well if you have copious amounts of beer I’ll go topless

Wow, this thread sure took a nose dive .