Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 14:05   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Diesel Cost Increase -ICW Traffic -?

When I was in Marathon a few weeks ago a sport Fisher (Viking) got 1400 gallons of diesel. They bought my fuel for waiting patiently. I don't have anything against them.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 17:36   #17

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The concern for far north marinas is declining transient traffic. Lake Champlain usually has numerous boats from lower NY, NJ, and others as far south as Florida with some staying the entire summer. The lake is also a popular summer place for many full time live aboards who head north to escape the summer heat and humidity of the south. With diesel fuel now at over $5.00 and quickly climbing, when will the cost of traveling make staying south attractive even with the summer weather?
The comments about traveling at idle speed won't work for many. My boat travels at about 5.2k at idle. Extended idle isn't recommended for diesels. Normal cruise is 22-24 knots burning about 40 gph so long distance travel has to be reconsidered. We'll see what the price of fuel is in June. This morning, a friend from Albania said it had reached about $10.00 a gallon there. It may reach that price here. As the temperature increases, so may the price of diesel fuel. Some of the more expensive power boats may become a bargain while sailboats quickly gain value as fuel cost for power travel becomes a strain on the vacation budget.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 04:03   #18

Boat: C&c 30 mk1

Diesel fuel hit 2.22 per litre in Newfoundland here this week😳
Sirzones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 07:40   #19

I think many with motorboats will use them less. At least in Sweden where the price already is almost 3 USD/L (over 8 USD/gallon). An economist in Norway said the prices there might be 5 USD/L in the summer.
I hope we will see fewer motorboats which drive fast.
I wonder how my brother will do with his 6 meter motorboat. He can use more fuel in one weekend than I do during a year with my 32 feet sailboat while cruising full time.
Arrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 04:48   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
With the price of diesel fuel climbing, we are surprised there is no discussions on the volume of vessel traffic ICW.
in the last week the traffic doesn't seem to be any less.
Old 22-03-2022, 05:20   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
in the last week the traffic doesn't seem to be any less.
And even if the traffic is les it is being made up for by the go fast waker makers

Tags
diesel, icw