Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2023, 20:56   #16

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Diesel surveyor Southern California?

If you love Perkins love them. I hate them. I don't want to spend my time working on them.

If I had owned one new from the factory I might feel the love. But the used ones I have encountered were cans of cockroaches. ( worse than a can of worms ) That is in marine and tractors both bad news.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 23:11   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

[QUOTE=skipperpete;3853013]A compression test is one of the thorny issues , sellers and brokers often won’t allow intrusive testing and often for good reason, a bad mechanic will opt to do a test through the glowplug holes because that’s the easiest quickest way to go but often glowplugs break off /QUOTE]
no compression test is best trough diesel injector every 2-3000 working hour.
less risk,only risk return diesel line, and conection to high pressure pump. but part is cheap return line 125-150€ new gasket around 140€ rebulid disel injector from 150€
this is only 500-600€ cost glow plug Exchange can be tricky and costly.
easy break something

but this engine design have problem on water colant pump. hundreds bolts always couple bold break (evry bolt 15€) lot time for exchange. this is 50 year engine,this engine place is in museum not in boat. this engine bulid for 5000 hours max,this is not i tell this is factory data
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 07:31   #18

Try CC Marine in Maina del Rey...Carl is a diesel genius
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 08:35   #19

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Call Thomas at Windward Yacht Center in Marina del Rey for referral/advice on the Perkins/survey.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 08:36   #20

Boat: Deerfoot, 62

Not sure why I would need a Perkins specific person. I would find someone who can read the oil test. Diesel engines are pretty rugged. 2500 or 5000 hours wouldn't concern me. If the engine is maintained, that is not a lot of hours. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

You don't mention what you plan to do. If you are going to hang out at the channel islands, keep your US Boating membership up to date. If you are planning to see the world, then there is a lot said for an older basic diesel that can be fixed or have a part fabricated anywhere.

I was way out of my comfort zone when I bought my first (current) boat. That only lasted 5 years or so.
kchristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 08:42   #21

You could try Pacwest Marine on Shelter Island in San Diego. When I lived there they had great mechanics who knew older diesels.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 09:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Call Thomas at Windward Yacht Center in Marina del Rey for referral/advice on the Perkins/survey.
Or go next door to CC Marine
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 09:14   #23

I would just figure in the replacement cost or partial replacement cost that you are comfortable with when making a offer. That is if you really have to have this boat. A better one will come around after you purchase this boat. )
Japanese diesels are the way to go. New Perkins small diesels are Japanese. I had a Shibaura 18hp Perkins in my last boat. Good engine. European small marine diesels are Japanese, Volvo for example.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 16:45   #24

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

Some good advice here but in my view provided the engine doesn’t show any symptoms of distress, and there are a lot of those to consider, since you are buying a used boat just stick with that engine until it gives up the ghost. There are a lot of reasons why.

Those old engines when they ran were great. I had a 4-108 in a 1972 53 foot sailboat that started first time every time on half a revolution with no glow plugs and ran smooth even at full power. They are simple mechanical beasts with no computers to get wet and foul up. Repairs are simple. Mine used to leak a bit of oil and diesel but you can deal with that easily. Don’t be afraid of these old girls.

Now as far as the issues to look for you might want a smart surveyor although it’s probably too expensive to get a real survey. You may be able to do it yourself if you do a lot of research or even find some gearhead friend to help.
Hard starting, anything unusual in the exhaust, water flow, check mixing elbows, look for evidence of corrosion both rust and galvanic or electrolysis, strange noises, rattles, loose bolts or accessories, vibrations, check the color of oil and consider an oil analysis, check coolant color and transmission oil color, smooth shifting or not, heating up to temp etc etc. The list is pretty long. But assuming it passes that list I bet it will outlast your use of the boat!

By the way I can send you a copy of a real engine survey if you like. Maybe it will help in your decision whether to get one. They are pretty expensive
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 17:06   #25

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I rebuilt my 1971 Perkins HT6-354 at 20,000hrs.
It didn't really need it, I just had nothing else to do that winter.

Damn, that's nice!
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 17:50   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Don't get over excited by oil analysis ...

Oil Analysis. Is it worth it ? Yes ! ... Maybe not.
Old 25-12-2023, 19:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
this engine is end of life. do you know exact model 40-100 ps.
my suggestion must have money on side for buy new engine. 46-47 year perkins engine is realy for Exchange. i think you dont need survey,simply calculate no engine. Inboard marine diesels should run for an average of 5,000 hours. Well-maintained diesel engines run up to 8,000 hours.
this old perkins leaking oil from new in factory. i hate this old engine,buy new engine leking oil
My Peterson 44 had a Perkins 4-154, 63 hp. When I sold it it had over 10K hrs. The surveyor was a Perkins guy in Ventura CA. He said that it surveyed well for its age and would probably go another 10K hrs. I bought the boat with 4900 hrs. Thinking that this was a lot. It wasn’t. My next boat had a Perkins 4-236 86 hp. When I sold it, it had nearly 20k hrs. Still running great. The family that bought it, went from La Paz Mexico to Hawaii and then on the Vancouver Canada. A yr later from Vancouver to the South Pacific and back! Still the same engine. I have no idea how many hrs was on it by then! He said that all he ever had done was an upper end rebuild, valves etc. yes, both engines leaked oil. Never an excessive amount, just a nusance.

Those old Perkins were the best! A bit messy and VERY dependable and easy to work on. And darn, it just ran and ran. I’ll take it.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 06:47   #28

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
My Peterson 44 had a Perkins 4-154, 63 hp. When I sold it it had over 10K hrs. The surveyor was a Perkins guy in Ventura CA. He said that it surveyed well for its age and would probably go another 10K hrs. I bought the boat with 4900 hrs. Thinking that this was a lot. It wasn’t. My next boat had a Perkins 4-236 86 hp. When I sold it, it had nearly 20k hrs. Still running great. The family that bought it, went from La Paz Mexico to Hawaii and then on the Vancouver Canada. A yr later from Vancouver to the South Pacific and back! Still the same engine. I have no idea how many hrs was on it by then! He said that all he ever had done was an upper end rebuild, valves etc. yes, both engines leaked oil. Never an excessive amount, just a nusance.

Those old Perkins were the best! A bit messy and VERY dependable and easy to work on. And darn, it just ran and ran. I’ll take it.
Truly awesome! even if that is the best best case scenario.
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, diesel, survey, surveyor