Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 15:52   #16

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJacocks View Post
You wouldn't happen to know anything about THAT now, would you?
Let's compare my 938 post to your 93 post before you judge me to harshly.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 15:58   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

On reflection, you might have ducked the speeding bullet! Who knows what problems you might have avoided by being screwed out of the deal. Karma is great when it works in your favor... keep your chin up and don't share too much info on an open forum when you can PM someone for more detailed opinion... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:22   #18

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

I think its a low blow whoever did what they did re the OP, however the flip side is if your selling your boat, talk it up here first and show some links to the broker and you will allegedly get an upswing of enquiries.

Perhaps this could be another revenue arm for CF, online cruiser to cruiser sales without the need to deal with shifty brokers, just normal folk selling boats to normal folk.

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:25   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

This sucks James! Hope the new one you're looking at turns out to be a better choice.
Old 09-05-2011, 16:33   #20

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Wasn't meant to be rude to you, sorry if it came off that way. Please accept my apologies. I'll bite the bullet on that one.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:24   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
I know the old adage, "you snooze you loose" but I thought I might warn everyone about my experience.
It's a problem when you come to a friendly place and think it's just a couple folks. We have over 50,000 registered and probably a lot more than than that just cruise by. People looking for boats are looking online and they come here a lot even if they only ever used a search engine twice and misspell something about boating - they end up here.

When discussing a boat here you don't need to give the web link to it. Talking in general will usually get you help and it would be rare that someone here would know of the boat. Some people will look at a boat because they think they are like you only faster on the trigger. We can't look at the pictures better than you can even if we might think we see something special.

People looking for the first boat have a lot preconceptions and ideas about a lot of things and can tend to be similar since they all lack experience. That is until they learn more about a lot of things and then they start to break off into smaller and smaller groups. They learn the way to find the boat just for them. So you got skunked. Probably wasn't that great a boat anyway. Better ones are out there.

You can't buy all the boats,. You only want the right one for you. Stay focused on that idea and you'll get a great boat that works for you.

Use the time to talk yourself out of some dumb ideas and consider more and different boats. Expand the horizon but look close to home first. Local deals are usually the best ones. Use the time to learn about more boats and walk on a few to get the feel for what your money can buy. Try not to fall in love on the very first date. With boats you don't fall in love until well after the wedding.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:18   #22

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: Disappointed !

James... the longer I have been the proud owner of a boat the more I realize that just about nothing that breaks or goes wrong is not without a silver lining. Doesn't make the fact that someone else got the boat you liked, but i am imagining that if he actually saw your post and went and brought that boat before you got there... then he is about to really have a bad Karma encounter...... and I imagine that down the road had you got that boat you would not be buying the boat you wind up with .... I guess what I'm saying is that when buying boats and also when sailing them.... theres always a reason why it went like it did. My opinion... be glad you didn't get that boat... it gives you a chance to find something even better while that guy suffers through. For whatever reason that was NOT the boat for you. Do I sound nuts?
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:21   #23
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post
Perhaps this could be another revenue arm for CF, online cruiser to cruiser sales without the need to deal with shifty brokers, just normal folk selling boats to normal folk.

Damien
Hey, no revenue stream here, but we can already do that. I have often seen cruisers list their boats in the CF classifieds. Cause I wouldn't deal with a broker either.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:00   #24

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

That's a drag but keep in mind that there are lots of boats out there. I almost bought one boat but couldn't get a deal together and I was really disappointed about it for weeks. Now I'm grateful that that one didn't work out but it didn't seem like it was a good thing when I lost the first deal.
I was worried about posting anything that would identify the Vagabond 39 that I eventually bought because I was afraid that what happened to you would happen to me. I asked very specific questions about the 4.107 engine for instance but I never asked if people thought that a Vagabond with a 4.107 in the SF Bay area for $XXX,000.00 sounded like a good deal. We needed this boat and I wanted to avoid adding any problems to the situation, it was dicey enough trying to get the seller to agree to sell to us when we didn't have any money. All is well now, we paid it off as agreed and it's ours.
Good luck in your search!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:29   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Recently I asked your collective opinions on a boat which was on the other side of the world from me.
I see. You want collective opinions? Here's one: don't buy a boat on the other side of the world.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Old 09-05-2011, 19:49   #26
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

We listed our boat in November for fair book price.
It sold for about $12.000 more than we listed it for in about a day, with lots of back up offers.
The family that bought it is convinced they stole it from us.

Different economies in different parts of the world are dictating the price in these tough financial times in the USA.

Ya never know.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:53   #27

Boat: looking

James,
I know - all too well - that it is a drag, but I think that you're blaming others for your own foolishness. Until you have a deposit on a boat, which you can do from afar with a few "subject to" provisos, it is fair game. Better to simply ask, "what do you all think about a (type of boat)?" By your own admission, many more than just one buyer took advantage of what you shared.

Look, there're tons of boats out there, one with your name on it, & I'll bet that a year from now you turn around & be happy that this situation led to the boat you'll eventually own.
Best of luck with your search!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
so post count is important rather then longevity on the board.. my post count is quite low I joined in 2003 to your 2009...

bummer about the boat... I had a marina do a deal with me, let me work on the boat clean it up, paint the inside then tell me that they could not get a clear title and refund me my deposit. Only to turn around and sell it a few months later with a clear title for three times my offer. live and learn even with houses. My condolences.
A.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:33   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Sorry you lost the boat.

Posting on the InterNet is like feeding pigeons in the park. No mercy there.
Kind of like seagulls.
They squawk when someone puts out food to let everyone know, then they fight over it.

Just sayin'...

That reminds me, I'm going to make some popcorn !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 21:53   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Good luck finding your next boat. I hope it all goes well.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote