Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 09:56   #16

Boat: C-26
Re: Do I need to check in?

I can't speak for Canada because I have never sailed there but have many years experience with the Bahamas. Friends of mine in Hopetown made a supply trip to West Palm Beach. Upon their return, they skirted past West End and anchored in Great Sale Cay. A Bahamian patrol boat followed them and boarded their boat. They found a number of cartons of cigarettes and a lot of liquor. Ultimately they received heavy fines for failure to check in at the first port of entry and for contraband being smuggled into the country. So the bottom line is, don't try to screw around with the check-in rules. Had they checked in properly, no fines would have been assessed.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:49   #17

Boat: Catalina 375

Last summer Canada Customs was operating out of Portsmouth in Kingston every day. They would come in looking for US registered boats or US people. They caught quite few that I saw. Nothing has changed since then so forget about it until the border opens. Also saw a regular RCMP presence last summer in the Islands.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 14:11   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
I'm going to be sailing around the great lakes (US/Canada border). How does check-in work for some simple cases?

US-flagged ship...

* anchor just off Canadian coast for the night.

* pull into a marina for gas then leave

* pull into a marina to unstep the mast, then leave

... there are more potential situations. are there rules that people use?

I'm assuming there are "rules of thumb" and there are "the laws" I'm not sure how closely they match.

I want to follow the best practices for what most cruisers do.

Rule of thumb?

If you touch ground or the seabed you need to clear in.

If there is a boat emergency there might be some leeway depending on jurisdiction but any number of foreseeable things like sailing solo and needing to sleep or not bringing enough fuel would not count as an emergency
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 15:27   #19

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I know the boarder crossing with Canada seems ridiculous but having lost over 60 friends, family and co-workers I am happy the respective boarder authorities take their jobs seriously. Several Permanent health conditions and a carrier cut short are the adjustments I’ve had to make and in comparison to some individuals close to me I am fortunate.
So while I know it’s a hassle and may not seem warranted please understand it is not an idol inconvenience.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 15:48   #20

Boat: Columbia 36

Good example is transiting between Lakes Erie and Huron. On the charts it looks like you could do it without entering Canadian waters, but it wouldn't be easy. Earlier in the year we were looking at a boat on Lake Ontario and wondering how we would get it back to Lake Michigan. Normally I'd go through the Trent Severn but not in 2020. My biggest concern on the Detroit and St Clair would be if you broke down the prevailing westerly wind would blow you further into Canada. Probably not good with the border closed.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 16:51   #21

Boat: C&C

Quote"Exactly right. If you are just transiting through Canadian or American waters it's considered an Innocent Passage. But if you do any of the above, you are considered to have entered the country, and must immediately present yourself to customs."

I don't think the boys running the show on both the upper and lower Niagara River believe in " Innocent Passage", they've been fining US boaters heavily who just cross the line. Could happen anywhere. I would call and try clearing that issue first.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 17:20   #22

Has anyone had experience with a global entry pass?
DUNCANMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 17:24   #23

[QUOTE=DUNCANMAC;3315724]Has anyone had experience with a global entry pass? These are times of change, but my understanding was it could expedite checking in.
DUNCANMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 17:54   #24

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCANMAC View Post
Has anyone had experience with a global entry pass?
The NEXUS card is part of the Trusted Traveller Program and is an agreement between the US and Canada to allow for easier border crossings. In some sections of the border, the PNW, Detroit, Buffalo, and the St Lawrence River, there is considerable cross border traffic. The NEXUS card facilitates quick border crossings.

As part of the Trusted Traveller Program the NEXUS program provides access to TSA PreCheck and Global Entry Kiosks. However, it is my understanding that the Global Entry Pass does not afford the same privileges of the NEXUS program when crossing the US/Canadian border.

About 8 years ago an uninformed US angler anchored in Canadian waters on the St Lawrence River to fish. The Canadian Authorities arrived and imposed an immediate $1K fine on the anglers and confiscated their boat. This prompted an international incident ultimately involving the State Departments of both countries. Don't mess with border patrols.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 20:02   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Good example is transiting between Lakes Erie and Huron. On the charts it looks like you could do it without entering Canadian waters, but it wouldn't be easy. Earlier in the year we were looking at a boat on Lake Ontario and wondering how we would get it back to Lake Michigan. Normally I'd go through the Trent Severn but not in 2020. My biggest concern on the Detroit and St Clair would be if you broke down the prevailing westerly wind would blow you further into Canada. Probably not good with the border closed.
You can certainly transit between those two lakes without needing to clear in, but you couldn't stop. If you had to due to an emergency, international marine agreements say it's OK to do what you must. Although you'd probably have to clear in once the emergency was over.

When I sailed from Huron to Erie a few years ago I decided to stop in Lake St. Clair for the night. Being a Canadian, I went man miles away from the border before anchoring for the night. I didn't want to risk being anywhere near US waters since I'd not cleared in.

On another transit, this time down the St. Mary's river between Lake Superior and the North Channel I was running the US side (down bound) when we started having engine problems. I purposely limped over to the well inside the Canadian border before dropping the hook.
Old 22-01-2021, 14:50   #26
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Rule of thumb?
If you touch ground or the seabed you need to clear in.

If there is a boat emergency there might be some leeway depending on jurisdiction but any number of foreseeable things like sailing solo and needing to sleep or not bringing enough fuel would not count as an emergency
Also you have to clear in if putting a fishing line in the water, somewhat bizarrely.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:28   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I don’t think that’s bizarre, fish are a commodity, if you fish in a countries Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) then you are taking money out of the pockets of the natives. Oh, and the EEZ goes out 200nm, not 12nm.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 19:26   #28

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Also you have to clear in if putting a fishing line in the water, somewhat bizarrely.
Makes sense to me. While innocent passage is a right, once a fishing line goes in the water the boat is no longer simply making an innocent passage, its fishing and engaging in, at lease on the Great Lakes, a regulated recreational acitivity on either side of the border. Need to clear in and have a fishing license.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:14   #29
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I don’t think that’s bizarre, fish are a commodity, if you fish in a countries Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) then you are taking money out of the pockets of the natives. Oh, and the EEZ goes out 200nm, not 12nm.
You are right, clearly, although the border where I live is approximately down the middle of the St. Lawrence and it's mostly sport fishing. If you can call fighting carp a sport! (I know the British come her for that).
Old 23-01-2021, 16:16   #30
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Makes sense to me. While innocent passage is a right, once a fishing line goes in the water the boat is no longer simply making an innocent passage, its fishing and engaging in, at lease on the Great Lakes, a regulated recreational acitivity on either side of the border. Need to clear in and have a fishing license.
That's also true. I hadn't though about fishing licences!