Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:37   #16

Boat: lancer 36
Re: Do you give guests an "Intro Class" to your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
What I mean is...

Do you go over all safety points they should know (where life vests are, etc.), what you'd do in case of an emergency situation, etc.?

Also... do you inform your guests what to do should YOU go overboard? Such as in a situation where your guests don't know how to sail or operate the vessel. Do you give them a quick crash course on what to do in case you go overboard or are incapacitated? Do you teach them how to use the radio in case of an emergency?

I'm just curious what sort of protocol people use when they have guests come aboard.

Thanks!
I introduce them to the refrigerator because I like using words like "sensuous." like when when I say, "sensuous up grab me a beer," they'll know what to do.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:21   #17

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

[QUOTE=BigAl.NZ;2689512]The second rule is that if they block the toilet - they un-block it![/QUOTEf]

The main rule......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:59   #18

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

They are welcome to bring their favorite booze onboard but, cannot drink it until we are docked. Emergency's happen and I dont want a drunk trying to anything.
If they want to sit in a chair outside and play the king and queen, they can do that on the dock.
Head operation. Puke buckets. PFD locations. Fire extinguisher location, pull the pin, aim at the base of the fire and squeeze the the trigger/handle Basic line handling. Listen and follow my instructions without question. That does non include, "get naked." The naked body of a beautiful lady distracts me which can result in a disaster to both the boat and me.
Old 05-08-2018, 14:33   #19

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We occasionally have lubbers on board our ketch, but always have at least 2 experienced crew. Our only posted rule is "nothing in the head unless you've eaten it first". Lubbers are limited to day sails only, so we'll casually ask if they've used the marina head before boarding. Head instructions are provided when needed. I've found that sailing instructions are never retained anyway.

We also keep a 27' Crownline Express Cruiser on a mainland lake. I feel more comfortable being the solo sailor with lubbers here as the stinkpot is easier to understand as it is more like a car.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:50   #20
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Another thing I always do is assign a buddy passenger for each. Helps to reduce confusion, check, each others safety equipment, reassurance each person has a partner.

Also assign 2 individuals to never take their eye's off the man overboard.

Explain the dry bag and what it means in terms of life and death.

Value of the EPIRB.

Identify backup to the captain (me being captain).

Demonstrate PFD and tell them to keep if close by.

Sounds like overkill but I would regret it for the rest of my life if a passenger was hurt or worse because I did not prepare someone for an emergency.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 15:08   #21

Boat: Leopard 39

I show them where the fire extinguishers and life vests are, I give them the "one hand for the ship and one hand for you" talk, I demonstrate the stove and gas safety, I provide 100 sun screen, and I show them how to flush the toilet; but many guests are already a little nervous, so I try not to exacerbate that with doomsday scenarios if all we're doing is bay or coastal. Thank you to the OP, as I AM now going to give some thought to choosing a guest, if possible, to familiarize with the engine controls and how to make a VHF distress call in the event of my loss overboard. It makes good sense.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 15:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Have your guests for happy hour at anchor. Then instruction is limited to egress. As for marine heads, my earliest unpleasant cruising experience was being both the youngest and the most mechanically adept crewperson available when someone swallowed the cherry pits at dinner. Ever since I have hated the word "Jabsco."
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:03   #23

Boat: Fusion 40

Briefing includes location of life jackets and overview of what to do if i go overboard. Big thing is to use the radio. press 16 and call for help in plain language. I also find I need to find a job for visitors when docking or they get in the way.
Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:14   #24

Boat: Valiant 40
Do you give guests an "Intro Class" to your boat?

It’s entirely contextual for me...how experienced they are, how long we’re out for, the local and the weather. Sometimes it’s just a quick “here are the fire extinguishers med kit how the head works and oh here’s how to start MY engine.” Other times it’s more elaborate. On long voyages the safety briefing takes half a day.

I don’t do a lot of day sails and most of my visitors know the ropes so I’m spared the spiel except occasionally. Could be I’m self selecting in who I invite.

Relatedly I’m so used to single-handing that I apologize in advance for just “doing it all”. Then every time I delegate I’m like Santa Claus. It’s all about setting expectations yo.
Old 05-08-2018, 17:17   #25

Boat: Mirage 35

We’re pretty flexible about how and how much, but one thing I’ve found critical that hasn’t been mentioned is “know your guests”.

We have sailed with non-sailors ranging from people who we know are calm, competent, and will do what they’re told without asking questions; to people who we know will panic the first time we heel more than five degrees. They don’t need and can’t accept the same level of involvement and instruction, and as captain it’s my job to be aware of this and deal with it.

And, by the way, the one who couldn’t handle heeling the first time on the boat actually enjoyed some slightly brisker winds the second time. Getting into it gradually is what works for some people.
Old 05-08-2018, 17:18   #26

Boat: Mirage 35

Sorry - “hasn’t been mentioned” - and then read that Suijun said the same thing in the post before mine.
Old 05-08-2018, 17:34   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
a little depending on, but yes. When somebody arrives I show location of fire extinguishing material, bilge pumps, flares, life jackets and so on. Once underway, it depends on the guests. If they are not used to boats, I go through start of engine and basic manoeuvring. If they know what they are doing, there is no need.

BUT-THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM TO SHOW IS HOW TO USE THE TOILETS.
Good ones. We also drill into all guests to never put their parts between the boat and any other object. At 40tons, the boat wins, no fending off.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 18:12   #28

Boat: Catalina 320

I ask if anyone wants a lifejacket, that's about it.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:30   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Over the years I have devolped my own "Stargazer Safety Information Manual" (SSIM) inserted in sealed plastic sleeves and bound in a strong binder.

Part 1 is very general, safety stuff mostly about not touching anything without permission and instructions from Captain/Mate.....
This is mandatory reading at the dock for all Day Guests and at the back of SSIM, is a Guest Book Log where they provide all thier emergency details and acknowledge that they have read and understood Part 1. (For liability Reasons)

Parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 are designed for new crew who will cruise with us and in itself is a "Cruise & Learn" course, specific to our yacht, with lots of technical details and Safety/Emergency procedures, including a Basic First Aid/CPR course..

All of this from early years developing those cruising courses in Vancouver, to making Staff Administration Manuals for Superyacht crew safety.

It has matured over the years to be pictorial, technicaly interesting and when I see a new friend really enjoying the details, it is a good indicator they will become good crew.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:50   #30

Great replies, everyone!

It sounds like it makes a lot of sense to have some laminated placards or something (or even a manual as someone mentioned) that had clear, simple instructions in addition to telling people a few safety things (in case they weren't paying attention.)
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat