Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 17:05   #76

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Do you worry about Pirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Arent pirates and the IRS the same????
LEGAL robbery vs ILLEGAL robbery...technically different, functionally about the same.
Old 03-08-2018, 18:11   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo View Post
https://www.icc-ccs.org/index.php/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map

The website above is useful to find where some of the trouble-spots are worldwide. However, not all attacks get reported so it is a case of caveat emptor in some of the less frequented areas, especially in poverty-stricken countries.

Note that almost all recent piracy reports are attacks on large commercial ships, not cruising yachts.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:41   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattm View Post
I would hazard to say if there were more Americans with guns out there the few cases of piracy we've heard of would be more in line with "another pirate shot at sea while attempting a robbery". Plus it was Americans and others with guns that ended the Somali pirate threat. Australians and their fear of weapons and love for the Nanny state is what keeps me up at night.
I’m from the U.K. and as far as I can see from what Iv read on the law for us Brits is unlike the US I can’t buy any guns because I do not hold a gun licence as I cannot have one from my home country from whence I came. Therefore when entering other countries if I-had firearms I’m breaking the law because I have no license ! I think the Americans are lucky to have a choice. I have read that if you do not have a licence and or do not declare firearms when entering a lot of countries that you run the real risk of having your boat ceized taken off you ! So that risk is more likely than Pirates and needing the guns. But if I was able to legally carry guns I would. So I’m thankful some Americans have the guns as they are doing all the work for us aren’t they ? Me I plan to stay away from bad areas as much as possible and I actually do have an old navy sword as a last resort but as ex solder I would think Granade’s are great idea as last resort I’m not shooting at men with more guns than me , I’d wait until they get close enough and aim one in there boat. An RPG would be better though I guess but all I’ll have is a torch and a knife and the sword. What choice do I have ?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:25   #79

Personally I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur even though I'm an expert with the M16A1, M60, M2 and have served as a fire direction controller for an 8 inch artillery battery with the M110A2. In addition to this I served in the Army's navy and I can tell you, bouncing around in a dinky boat and repelling several armed pirates loopy from Khat or other substances is probably not going to happen and you'd be lucky not to shoot yourself. A simple solution is to stay ashore if you are terrified enough to think you need a gun.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:49   #80

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
Personally I don't suffer from delusions of grandeur even though I'm an expert with the M16A1, M60, M2 and have served as a fire direction controller for an 8 inch artillery battery with the M110A2. In addition to this I served in the Army's navy and I can tell you, bouncing around in a dinky boat and repelling several armed pirates loopy from Khat or other substances is probably not going to happen and you'd be lucky not to shoot yourself. A simple solution is to stay ashore if you are terrified enough to think you need a gun.
Sadly, many places, too many places, on shore are too dangerous to walk around unarmed too.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:08   #81
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'
Do you worry about Pirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Americans with guns, far more frightening than imaginary pirates.

Had it not been for "Americans with guns" hanging around the Coral Sea in May 1942 you would be speaking Japanese. (Sorry, you presented to much of an opportunity to resist)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:59   #82
CLOD

Boat: none

it always "goes there"
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19   #83

Boat: looking build or buy a boat to escape from the rat race..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The latter is not piracy.

The term “piracy” is defined in UNCLOS (Article 101) as:
(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed-

(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in subparagraph (a) or(b).

Note the "crew or passenger or a ship or aircraft" and "high seas" or "outside the jurisdiction of any state"

I was reading this definition, and I noticed that governments perform violence and detention all the time for private ends without due process.. They call it "civil asset forfeiture". Why do people allow it of governments but not of private individuals? It does give me quite a bit of confusion and if anyone can resolve this for me, I would be most grateful...

Fernao
Old 04-08-2018, 09:16   #84

Hi..We’ve lived in Central America and Mexico for the last 4 years mostly on my our catamaran. Let me assure you there are active pirates in this region. The area between Roatan, Honduras to Livingston, GUATEMALA is dangerous. Reports are one of the boats have a hand gun. The most active area is ESE of Guanaja/Roatan to Nicaragua. This area is characterized by shallow banks going out about 30 miles. So if a cruiser is 40 miles off shore he may think he is out of sight and safe but isn't. Most of the pirates are actually fisherman actng opportunistically. I have not heard a report of guns on biard in this area. However as many as 3 pangas with 6 men armed with machetes are reported.This is the most actice area because its a natural route for boaters to go to and from Panama. Where ever you are, always check with locals for info. Many if not most acts are not reported. I’m sure the authorities in these areas know the culprits but don’t care to do anything. Check out Noonsite.com and Caribean Cruisers Net for reporting on this. Using local knowledge and common sense can avoid much of this. Always suspect anyone approaching is dangerous.
Old 04-08-2018, 13:26   #85

I don’t think people are terrified it’s just a subject you have to consider,
Old 04-08-2018, 14:08   #86

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Had it not been for "Americans with guns" hanging around the Coral Sea in May 1942 you would be speaking Japanese. (Sorry, you presented to much of an opportunity to resist)
And if the Chinese hadn't of invented gunpowder and guns?..........

Just because you may have done something worthwhile with guns at a particular point of time in the past does not mean you continue to do so.
Old 04-08-2018, 14:22   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And if the Chinese hadn't of invented gunpowder and guns?..........

Just because you may have done something worthwhile with guns at a particular point of time in the past does not mean you continue to do so.
May I ask you a question? Lets suppose for a minute everybody got rid of their guns, do you think that suddenly all pirates would quit pirating? Would all robbers quit robbing? Would all muggers quit mugging? How about rapists, would they suddenly quit raping? Would all aggressors suddenly change their behavior, or perhaps all of these things and people might get worse?
I think the bad people at least have to worry about whether or not they will get shot for their attempts at robbery, rape, or what have you.

Old 05-08-2018, 00:56   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by geozeck View Post
Hi..We’ve lived in Central America and Mexico for the last 4 years mostly on my our catamaran. Let me assure you there are active pirates in this region. The area between Roatan, Honduras to Livingston, GUATEMALA is dangerous. Reports are one of the boats have a hand gun. The most active area is ESE of Guanaja/Roatan to Nicaragua. This area is characterized by shallow banks going out about 30 miles. So if a cruiser is 40 miles off shore he may think he is out of sight and safe but isn't. Most of the pirates are actually fisherman actng opportunistically. I have not heard a report of guns on biard in this area. However as many as 3 pangas with 6 men armed with machetes are reported.This is the most actice area because its a natural route for boaters to go to and from Panama. Where ever you are, always check with locals for info. Many if not most acts are not reported. I’m sure the authorities in these areas know the culprits but don’t care to do anything. Check out Noonsite.com and Caribean Cruisers Net for reporting on this. Using local knowledge and common sense can avoid much of this. Always suspect anyone approaching is dangerous.
So in that situation if they only have machetes and one hand gun , having your own AK would probably make them just turn away at the sight of it
Old 05-08-2018, 00:57   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Sadly, many places, too many places, on shore are too dangerous to walk around unarmed too.
Sorry what do you mean Delusions of grandeur?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:08   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
Sorry what do you mean delusions of grandeur?
Closed Thread