Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 09:23   #16

Re: Don't go fishing with your Son - if you have money!

Forty two million reasons.....
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:46   #17

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My post was not to disparage persons with Asperger or the disease itself (one of my best friends has a child with AS) but to bring up the fact that too often the wealthy families getaway with things for which any of us would be in prison. But in this situation, if such was the case and the son got out of responsibility for killing his grandfather with the help of the family's money, justice was done, albeit in a convoluted way.

If in fact he was innocent of his grandfather's murder and innocent of his mother's death than it is a great tragedy for him and his family.

Forget about the asbergers. Look at the circumstances and then view his video interviews with the press. He shows no emotion and his statements are cool and calulated, probably much like his actions last week.

Plus, who has a raft without an epirb?
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:51   #18

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Hey, easy now
Yes. I too resemble that remark.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:14   #19

I rarely chime in, but given this thread appears to bias toward this man being the likely criminal, not once but twice according to these posting, here is my chime

In the former murder investigation, he was never charged with any crime. That murder is unsolved. The weapon used in the murder did not match any of his guns. Period.

In the second incident, the investigation has yet to even been established. How can we responsibly connect any allegations at this point.

Does it look like foul play? Yes. Both.

I am certain the police are looking more closely into the matter, but unless there is significantly more evidence to allege his involvement in either of the desths, its all just gossip... Fodder for the ad revenue generating - if it bleeds it leads media, at this point.

My two pennies.

Sidenote: seems to be a very extraordinary risk for a man to scuttle his boat far at sea to committ murder...given the very risk he may not have lived through any of it himself.

The most simple explanation is usually the correct one: the man was murdered by someone. The boy was an idiot for going out on a boat that was not seaworthy. His mom drowned. He survived.

Doesn't sound sexy. But that's usually how life is. Boredom dotted with moments of typical moron behavior.

My third penny
hydrodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You would be surprised at the list of Scientists and Artists that are thought to have Aspergers.
It is a recently "discovered" syndrome, but has been around forever.
My belief is among cruisers the number of people with Asperger's is much higher than in the general population, particularly when you get into the ones that single hand and or long distance travelers.
I have a wonderful 23 year old stepson with Asperger's. I find it very interesting, the notion that it may be prevalent among single hand sailors. I know that for me it's ptsd that drives me to seek solitude. But equally interesting is when Gavin and I compare symptoms and thought process, it's strikingly similar in many regards. He and I, as a result of that have a very close relationship, we can relate.....to not relating to the rest of the world. LOL
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 12:00   #21

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

"You know the answer and for you to demand "statistics" and to pretend that wealth doesn't matter when dealing with criminal justice system is not only disingenuous it is simply intellectually dishonest."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I would ease up on the Kool-Aid if I were you.
Well obviously we can't attribute good fortune to intelligence either then?

Just recently we had a rich listers son beat a police woman unconscious and continue beating her. His parents fought hammer & tong to get it suppressed
,discharged without conviction, but struck a deal for community service and $5k to the victim. If he had brown skin & no money he would have got 5-10yrs. Parent nett worth 500m +.
Police woman may never fully recover.
If he had played top rugby he would have got 10 minutes in the bin.
Needless to say, money/power grease the wheels. Unless you live in fairey land.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 12:06   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Aspie's have trouble in social situations, as children they are almost the brunt of jokes. They don't pick up on the little grins, winks or nudges that others do. They learn to be loners, cause people are actually on average very cruel. They have few friends on average, but if they do, they usually are very loyal to that friend, cause they know that friends are few and far between.
Many learn to distrust others based on prior experience.

If you watch Big Bang theory the whole cast could be considered Aspies, Sheldon of course the most severe. Like everything there are people that show the syndrome profoundly, and many that do not. The common Aspie has an IQ that is above average, but like everything that is not a hard and fast rule, only point I'm making is that they are not less smart than average, just lack some skills that others have, but have better than average other skills.
They are also usually very conscious, picky people that like schedules and do not like surprises, they know how something is supposed to be done and do not deviate from a procedure. Those of you that say you religiously keep a log make me smile, cause you may not be an Aspie, but that is exactly what one would do.

They seek a structured environment, and for example Military life suits them, because it is very structured, you always wear the exact same clothes, precisely the same way, never any variance.

They also tend to be very focused, are the type to want to perfect something to the nth degree.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 15:01   #23

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Is this the court of public opinion
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 20:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I have a wonderful 23 year old stepson with Asperger's. I find it very interesting, the notion that it may be prevalent among single hand sailors. I know that for me it's ptsd that drives me to seek solitude. But equally interesting is when Gavin and I compare symptoms and thought process, it's strikingly similar in many regards. He and I, as a result of that have a very close relationship, we can relate.....to not relating to the rest of the world. LOL
Well said.👍
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 11:00   #25

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'

hydrodane
Thanks for a measured and logical response to a post which meant to and succeeded in stirring up some mean spirited nasty gossip.
Let's wait for the investigation by Coast Guard and law enforcement. In the meantime find something useful to do.
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 11:09   #26

Is saying aspie the same as saying tard or autie?
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:35   #27

Boat: Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolily View Post
hydrodane
Thanks for a measured and logical response to a post which meant to and succeeded in stirring up some mean spirited nasty gossip.
Let's wait for the investigation by Coast Guard and law enforcement. In the meantime find something useful to do.
Opolily: Thank you for responding with such an articulate and well thought out reply. There are many things to consider in your reply so let's take them one by one:

1. You are correct in thanking Hydrodane in their "measured and logical" response. It is certainly true that no one has been convicted of a crime. I don't think OJ ever got convicted either...I just happen to believe he is a murderer. Just one man's opinion.

2. Although this post did take some unanticipated directions it was not an attempt to "stir up mean spirited nasty gossip" as you say. I guess this is your opinion of my post? If you had read beyond the Title of the post you would have seen that I merely was posting a link to the news story and in my post you will see I said "Something fishy" is going on in Rhode Island waters. This is a pun (which I can explain later) intended as more of a question than a judgement. In my Writing 101 course at University I was taught to grab the readers attention with the Title. I think I did ok with this but possibly could have done better. In no way did I share my opinion of the guilt or innocence of this young man.

3. Isn't the forum a place where we can express opinions without fear of being attacked personally? This forum is filled with what you call gossip and I call opinion. Yes, we will have to wait for law enforcement to finish their investigation and if you are offended by someone else's opinion perhaps you could move along and "find something useful to do"...

4. That emoticon of sweeping up the trash is pure gold. I will save it for just the right moment when I am being completely hypocritical. When I am judging someone's post while saying not to judge or gossip...It's perfect!

5. When considering your geographical location it has occurred to me that perhaps you were at dinner that night with the Grandfather and helped this young man "fix" his boat? NOW THAT'S GOSSIP! Enjoy the rest of the weekend...

ps: I really enjoy reading these posts from the most experienced sailors from around the world. Love to you all...
3DSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, money