Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 10:25   #1

Dubai to India help

Hello! I know this is a bit of a stretch but I’m going to ask anyway 😀…
I am currently embarking on an around the world motorcycle journey and because of the current political climate am having to change my planned route. Because of this I am hoping to find a boat that can get both myself and my motorcycle from Dubai to India. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Travelingmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:02   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Dubai to India help

This is an interesting question. I have no first hand knowledge but have had friends do this with bicycles. They got across the Indian Ocean on a local Dhow out of a port called Deira a little to the north of Dubai, sailed direct to Mumbai.

They just wandered along the port asking people etc. They haggled the fare with a skipper going to India and off they went.
Passage took about a week, conditions primitive.

You can also check out Michael Pallin's (Monty Python fame) web site Around the World in 80 Days. He did that same trip when he was young, and 25 years later repeated it. Photo is of them on the Dhow.

OP do please post how you get on, and perhaps you're blogging your journey? I'm sure many here would be interested to travel with you vicariously, if so please add a link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dhow Dubai Pallin.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	257000  
Old 02-05-2022, 14:31   #3

Ok, that’s good to know it’s possible, at least with a bicycle. I’m really hoping to line something up before riding down there because I probably wouldn’t choose to otherwise. At this point however that’s pretty much the only viable option to get to India and then on to Vietnam. Yeah, you could follow my journey daily on Instagram @travelingchopper and on roadsareforjourneys.com where I share stories every week or so. I really appreciate the info, thank you!
Old 02-05-2022, 16:14   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

I once sailed pasted a sailboat with a motorcycle tied to his foredeck. It wasn’t that big of a boat either, maybe 35 feet. The motorcycle had to have been around a 900cc bike. It’s doable from what I saw.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 21:57   #5

We have lived here in Dubai for nearly 30 years, yes theres heaps of trading dhows between uae and india. no problem at all to find a willing skipper to take you across. yes its a bit primitive but as michael palin said of his crossing later, it was the best memory of his complete odyssey.
Theres a few places where the dhows come in and unload so its just a matter of finding someone who speaks enough english.
Have a friend here whos family had trading dhows for decades, all built in india. give me a hoy if you get stuck.

Had a kiwi aquaintance here a while ago, he went to UK bought a bike, drove thru europe then thru Iran all the way down to Bandar Abbas in the straits of hormuz and got a lift back here on dhow, of his trip he reckoned best was iran, iranians drove him nuts, with kindness and assistance.

BTW, keep the monsoon in mind, june thru september dont do it!!!
....theres huge biking community here and plenty to see by bike, roads are xclnt, might be worth a look at.
capt jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 22:10   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

There has been trade between Dubai and India for hundred's of year's,i believe the N.E. Monsoon allows the Dhow's to sail South then and back during the South West, the N.E. monsoon starts in January and the South West around June, back in the 80'S when working in the Middle East, i walked the dock' where the Dhow's tied up. very interesting.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 00:47   #7

Interesting, a good information, thank you! So I wonder if it’s worth me going there and hoping it works out? I’d just hate to get that far south and not find something, I was really hoping to line something up before leaving Europe. I’m actually American but currently 6 months into this trip.

Tags
India