Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 11:30   #31

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Re: Dutch sailor missing in the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here's hoping this Thread has a good ending.. its a big, empty and lonely place out there.. my best wishes..
That's what we all hope for Boatman61! Even in the worst case scenario, it would be a great relieve for the family to know what has happened or where he went. So every sighting of his boat would be of enormous value.

To increase our chances, if anyone has the opportunity to forward my first posting to another forum or website like KDH did, please do so (and let me know please).
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:40   #32

Boat: beneteau M352, 35 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
On January 15th 2014 Dutch sailor Sietse Hagen left the port of Tenerife heading for the Caribbean islands. Since his departure, now over 60 days ago, he has not reported home. His friends and family, as well as the Dutch sailing community, are deeply concerned about the well-being of this very experienced sailor. He has been reported missing at the local authorities, but your help by keeping a lookout for his boat would be very much appreciated.
Sietse is sailing a 27ft Gib'Sea Flush Poker named ‘Pokerface’, small but well prepared for long voyages. Distinctive properties are its doghouse and black painted stern (photos below).

If you have any information that could help finding Sietse please contact me by PM or your local police.

I am actually saling the easter part of Venezuela, this the place he should be hearng for in 60 days voyage. I will keep watching if I see him I let you know. Good luck..and faer wirnds
sirocovzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:41   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The thing I get out of this is the two missing boats had no long range commo, no EPIRB, Satphone, SSB. The one that was rescued once things got bad, triggered the EPIRB and was successfully rescued.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:51   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
That's what we all hope for Boatman61! Even in the worst case scenario, it would be a great relieve for the family to know what has happened or where he went. So every sighting of his boat would be of enormous value.

To increase our chances, if anyone has the opportunity to forward my first posting to another forum or website like KDH did, please do so (and let me know please).
I have seen a bunch of people who shared it on FB, as did I. We lost friends when the Niña was lost without trace a while ago and it is very strange to see people post on their FB wall, or tag them in pictures.

Like in this case, they chose to not have much electronics aboard and we can only respect that as it is their right to choose so, even when others (incl. me) are loaded with gadgets.

I am Dutch myself so I'll switch to the famous Dutch directness here: it's like this, he may be in a lot of trouble, trying to make way towards land. It's his choice to not be able to call for help, so it's okay, it is how he wants it. At some point it can have taken so long that we must accept him as lost, but I would not do that for some time yet because most can hold out for a long time while drifting about.

When he gets to land he will certainly contact his family. Can there be a situation where he is found in a Caribbean place, with the home front thinking he is missing at sea? I don't know, the family is in the best position to determine that. If this would happen, it would be his choice to do so.

The one situation where I would report his boat to be found is when I see different people aboard. I also lost a friend who was murdered for his boat so this is always in my mind.

I hope he arrives soon.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The thing I get out of this is the two missing boats had no long range commo, no EPIRB, Satphone, SSB. The one that was rescued once things got bad, triggered the EPIRB and was successfully rescued.
Personally, and I think most of us would agree that carrying one or more of these devices is quite sensible on such a voyage. But Sietse made other choices, which I question but not condemn. The discussion is good, but it does not help Sietse or his family now. Given the dire situation I would like to ask politely not to start too much discussions in this thread but just to focus on spreading our request for help as wide as possible.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:14   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Agreed, this thread should be left as is for reasons of getting the word out, a little "bump" now and again to get it back on top of the un-read list isn't bad though, just don't derail it's purpose
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:19   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Personally, and I think most of us would agree that carrying one or more of these devices is quite sensible on such a voyage. But Sietse made other choices, which I question but not condemn. The discussion is good, but it does not help Sietse or his family now. Given the dire situation I would like to ask politely not to start too much discussions in this thread but just to focus on spreading our request for help as wide as possible.
unfortunately with such an active forum if nobody comments on a thread it very quickly dissapears into cyberspace in a few hours,and may need to be "bumped" by yourself daily if you want people to see it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
...and may need to be "bumped" by yourself daily if you want people to see it
I will certainly do so every now and then. But your help, even with something as little as this, would be much appreciated...
Old 18-03-2014, 16:33   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
I will certainly do so every now and then. But your help, even with something as little as this, would be much appreciated...

bump
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 18:40   #40

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
OldFrog75 don't let some story about a sailor being lost stop you from doing something. Read the papers, thousands of people are getting killed in cars everyday...does that cause you to sell your car and start taking the bus. We are all going to die my friend and we only go around once so go put a little adventure in your life and when the day comes there will be no regrets.

+1, there are so many more ways to die -- do not let this stop you from sailing if that is your dream!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 22:10   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
drifting at 1 knot with a broken mast for say 50 days(1200nm),after sailing for say 10(1000nm),still puts him on the atlantic side of the caribean.
their is hope yet
For the sakes of Mr. Sietse and his family, let's all who are out there and mobile keep a good lookout for "Pokerface". The *prize* for success will be knowing that you have tried to help others.

With a little luck, he'll be with the boat and in good nick, too. We all know this may be another one that will have a sad outcome, but for now, for everybody's well being, let's keep the faith that man and vessel will be found in good shape.

And thank you to the folks sailing in east Venezuela for volunteering to be on the lookout for them. Well done!
Ann

(bump!)
Old 18-03-2014, 22:54   #42

Boat: Oyster 45

Quote:

Put it on the YBW forum yesterday.. it is big forum and lots of brits use it.
Old 19-03-2014, 00:17   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Put it on the YBW forum yesterday.. it is big forum and lots of brits use it.
Good on ya, Nostrodamus.

A.

(bump)
Old 19-03-2014, 00:33   #44

Boat: Oyster 45

I also believe there was a Navtex message went out to shipping in that area on 4th March.

WESTERN NORTH ATLANTIC.
CANARY ISLANDS TO CARIBBEAN SEA.
SIX METER S/V POKERFACE, WHITE HULL, ONE PERSON ON BOARD
OVERDUE TENERIFE TO CARIBBEAN SEA. VESSELS IN VICINITY
REQUESTED TO KEEP A SHARP LOOKOUT, ASSIST IF POSSIBLE.
REPORTS TO MRCC FORT DE FRANCE, INMARSAT-C: 422799024,
TELEX: 42912008, PHONE: 596 596 709 292,
FAX: 596 596 632 450, E-MAIL: ANTILLES@MRCCFR.EU.
Old 19-03-2014, 01:32   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I hope this story has a happy ending.

Just when I start thinking, "maybe I could buy a boat in the next year or two and sail away", I read a thread like this about an experienced sailor missing at sea and I think..."maybe not".
I read so many NTSB reports (US agency which investigates accidents) that for a time I stopped my flight training. I saw how even highly experienced pilots were felled by disaster. I thought, if them what chance do I have? After a time I concluded I should be the best I can be. At that time, flying was new to me but sailing was not.

I fell back to the decision I had made long ago about sailing; be psychologically prepared for what may come. In spite of all your planning, or simply that some small thing was overlooked, disaster may come. And if it comes then how prepared am I to accept it?

Do not let anyone dissuade you from your hopes and dreams. If you do decide passage making is not for you, you still can sail in the bay or along the coast. It's only up to each of us. Too, you have to be reasonable about this. We always hear about them who don't make it but hardly ever hear of the many who do make it and with great success. This creates the perception of improbably high risk.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Missing, overdue, Pokerface, sail, Sietse