Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 12:46   #151

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Encouraging live aboards

The video showed a perspective on the cost of boats that I never considered.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 18:33   #152

Boat: Roberts 26 & Duncason 29

ok so I am on the fence - Don't poor people have to live somewhere??

Living on a boat takes effort and a passion to want to, restoring an old boat that would otherwise go to waste even more so, but why should to poor be excluded from join this experience if they wish? Sounds like you guys would rather the mooring field filled with modern fin keel, foam core boats that will be long scrapped or sunk at their moorings while my very terrible looking but very much enjoyed three quarter keel solid glass yacht (yes I do live on it when not working away) is still floating away going to waste.......
MrMagoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 19:00   #153

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Living on a boat isn't scalable so not a societal solution, but can be the solution for the right person. In my experience those that aren't into the lifestyle move back onto land, and usually leave town for better life cost to income ratios.

in Key west from what I see most living in the mooring field are mostly working class people, a few retirees, and a few who are on the dole.

as shown in the recent hurricane, the most dangerous boats were those that didn't have someone living on them. they're just stored on the water with no upkeep in regards to their ground gear. I don't care if your boat is ugly just make sure it stays in place.
Old 31-10-2022, 23:23   #154

Boat: Leopard 40

Future of the ICW.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICW in Near Future.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	266565  
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:31   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I guarantee you that in the U.S. if you stop paying either your mortgage or taxes, a Sheriff will show up at your door within 3 months with an indisputable court order giving you a few hours to collect your things while the officers standby, then a hasp and lock on the house. I saw many of these personally during the recession.
Don't even need to default on payments over here.....

https://www.statedevelopment.qld.gov...nd-acquisition

And below is a recent complicated intention for resumption of land.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-...tion/101549992

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:09   #156
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSami View Post
I have long thought and wondered about this issue having contemplated at times helping employees that work for me to live on a boat to save money for school or other life events they’re planning.

I have looked around at places for employees to keep boats, and found a huge shortage of marinas at any price that have available slips.

This then forces some people (Allison almost refugees in life that have very few options for affordable) to go out to marginal anchorages when you often get floating slums. I visited many of these “Anchorages “and admire the people living there, but also feel for the people who live on the shorelines, and regional governments that need to manage the normal shenanigans that happens with any community of people.

I think a solution might be for developers to develop low cost housing slips as an alternative to low cost housing. Maybe even a little cost anchorages served by a common landing with appropriate support services like bathrooms, showers, and laundry. Maybe this could even come with a form of “social services“ that helps teach new liveaboards, how to responsibly manage their boats.

I think this would be a much more affordable option in a well regulated context than the current laissez-faire attitude or local hostility towards ‘pirate, anchorages’ or not-so-low cost housing options available elsewhere.

Less fortunate people need someplace to go and live with dignity. If we don’t create the options for them, they will just make them for themselves, and that generally is a bigger mess than if it’s managed in a constructive way.

This is exactly what you don’t want. Develop low cost housing solutions instead. liveaboard is a lifestyle choice not a solution to providing cheap housing for the poor, this can range from 100 % subsidy to various schemes
Old 01-11-2022, 03:40   #157
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Future of the ICW.....

Vietnam or Kowloon would at least have better food
Old 01-11-2022, 03:49   #158

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Vietnam certainly does , best in the world by far imho but we can't get a boat in.
Have been trying for 30 years.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:13   #159

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
True!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:03   #160

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The average house price where I live is now $1,200,000

My boat cost around 1/40th of that
And are your maintainance, moorage, and operating costs 1/40 of that of a house? And is your boat increasing or decreasing in value through time?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:13   #161

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
And are your maintainance, moorage, and operating costs 1/40 of that of a house? And is your boat increasing or decreasing in value through time?
Irrelevant.
If you don't have the coin to get into 1.2 mill of property you don't.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:23   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
We are moving from a $650K house to a $350K trawler. I have a pretty extensive financial model that I have vetted through multiple people living the lifestyle right now. I have found that...

Living trawler life will be about $40K per year less expensive than living in my house, but....

A lot of that is simplifying my life. No property taxes, no car, no car insurance, no electric bill, limited opportunities for distractions (other than eating out and drinking), no......................

While my projected maintenance costs and hourly offset to save for engine repair/replacement dwarf my maintenance on the house there were way more ancillary costs with home-based life.

Our variability is fuel and engine wear. My first year I have almost 4000 miles planned (bahamas in winter, up to new england in summer, back to bahamas. My total cost per mile is about $9 including fuel, motor offset (savings for repair/replacement) and generator use and offset. So we have a $36K variable cost depending on how far we go.

I will lose another 8% per year on the $650K house I sold. That number might seem high, but in Dallas it is pretty conservative. So, 5 years of lost housing appreciation is about $300K of missed upside. My $350K trawler might get $40K of repairs and end up valued at $300K in 5 years.

So, I am sinking money into a falling asset instead of a growing asset (house). However, I am literally dreaming about the boat life and the connections to good people we will make. It is well worth the trade.

I am an economic analyst and love breaking this stuff down. Reach out if you want to discuss a specific plan.

There is nothing Sweeter than an expenses spread sheet. Please share!! You can feel free to adjust income levels and whatever else you need for privacy.

I’m only interested in seeing the structure and how it’s all calculated.

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:49   #163

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Irrelevant.
If you don't have the coin to get into 1.2 mill of property you don't.
Well, one might say the same thing about the initial cost of a cruising boat. I presume those who can't afford living in an area where the average cost of a home is $1.2 M, don't live in such an area. nmcafee did a breakdown of initial costs, ongoing costs, and increases or decreases in value which comes much closer to the point of how you might compare living on a boat to living in a house. But the real point to living on a boat is that you do it becuase you want to, not because you are saving money (which I find unlikely - gosh knows, I never did). You are choosing to live in smaller living quarters, with limited amenities, and access to fewer assets because the life style appeals to you. And if or when it no longer appeals - you will likely change your living situation.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 15:37   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Don't know about everyone else but here goes I paid 1000 for the boat sold the near New 9.9 hp electric start outboard for 850 put my old 7.5 evinrude 2 stroke on in its place .

Lifepo4 bank 700 all in
new bilge pumps new running lights 200 ( all LED lights . )
New opening portlights 50
Dingy and electric outboard ( free )
New force 10 cooktop ( free salvage from job )
Watermaker 300 used powersurvivor35
Solar panels from last boat
85 for MPPT controller
35 for 2512 trace inverter charger
100 for used cool blue holding plate refrigeration
Adds up to 1720.
Book value is 6500.
Moorage is 235 a month
Insurance is 25 a month
Total monthly bills 260

Old house power bill 325 a month budget billing .
So I'm actually way ahead on the value of the boat
Ahead on the bills

Bills l8ke phone and internet are same so a wash there .
Old 01-11-2022, 21:11   #165

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...You are choosing to live in smaller living quarters, with limited amenities, and access to fewer assets because the life style appeals to you. And if or when it no longer appeals - you will likely change your living situation.
Yes. AND this smaller space, with more limited amenities, and access to fewer assets (by this I guess you mean places to spend money) is exactly how boat can be cheaper.

It's not rocket science, or even rocket economics. If you live smaller, you can do it cheaper. And a boat is an excellent way to live smaller.

It's certainly possible to spend as much, or more, on boat life. But it's a lot easier to live on less because you tend to live with less. It's really that simple.

Tags
enc, Live aboard