Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 21:19   #166

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes. AND this smaller space, with more limited amenities, and access to fewer assets (by this I guess you mean places to spend money) is exactly how boat can be cheaper.

It's not rocket science, or even rocket economics. If you live smaller, you can do it cheaper. And a boat is an excellent way to live smaller.

It's certainly possible to spend as much, or more, on boat life. But it's a lot easier to live on less because you tend to live with less. It's really that simple.
+1 and then some characters to get past the post karen
Old 01-11-2022, 21:40   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I guarantee you that in the U.S. if you stop paying either your mortgage or taxes, a Sheriff will show up at your door within 3 months with an indisputable court order giving you a few hours to collect your things while the officers standby, then a hasp and lock on the house. I saw many of these personally during the recession.

I’m seeing the exact same thing here in Australia. I’m in Brisbane for a visit and in the street where I’m staying 10 apartments over less than 1/2 a mile have had eviction notices served.... all the furniture is out in the street.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 21:48   #168

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I’m seeing the exact same thing here in Australia. I’m in Brisbane for a visit and in the street where I’m staying 10 apartments over less than 1/2 a mile have had eviction notices served.... all the furniture is out in the street.

They have been doing it here for years. The recession is what shone it's ugly light on it. Banks were bundling loans and selling them to private mortgage securities like Countrywide who in turn would re-bundle them and sell at a profit to other smaller banks. Many people were receiving double mortgages and stopped paying, trying to sort it out. In the end, a knock at the door with a waiting Sheriff.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 21:57   #169

Here is another scenario that is fairly common in the cruising world and it is what I did. My previous 2000sq.ft. home was paid off and I bought my Hallberg-Rassy 35 for $15k and put $11k into it, doing 90% of the work myself over 2 years. Rented out the house for $1800@month and cruised Mexico for a few years. You can do the math and see how that pans out. Sold the boat in Mx. for almost $30K, moved back up to Ca. and sold the house and bought another fixer house and flipped it and bought the fixer ranch I have now. Now have two cruisers.

My point is, you can have the best of both worlds if you can pull it off. I cringe when I hear folks here say..."I'm gonna sell my house, it's an anchor, and sail around the world with my unsuspecting wife and chidlins."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-11-2022, 23:23   #170
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The problem when you compare Apples with Oranges is that the discussion often goes Bananas!

Simply put..... Anyone with some form of disposable income has some choice in their lifestyle and that is influenced by many factors.

Encouragement comes in all directions and forms.

Those who prefer to herd.... will work for their dream house and community.

Those who need to have the option to go remote will see more value as a liveaboard.

The lucky or smart ones find a way to keep both options open .
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 23:55   #171

Well another topic/thread that has morphed into an entirely different direction.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:10   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
They have been doing it here for years. The recession is what shone it's ugly light on it. Banks were bundling loans and selling them to private mortgage securities like Countrywide who in turn would re-bundle them and sell at a profit to other smaller banks. Many people were receiving double mortgages and stopped paying, trying to sort it out. In the end, a knock at the door with a waiting Sheriff.

Yes the key is to make foreclosure a very very last resort after several other arbitration routes have been legally exhausted.

Here foreclosure is extremely rare and makes Tv crews show up. Banks don’t like that sort of coverage
Old 02-11-2022, 03:31   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Just to let you know if you get a 1m views you make $2,700. You also get 40% of the ad revenue. There are matrix on income and 100,000 views is nothing. These people already have money. Maybe they made it big early in life and maybe they inherited money.
While I don't think they grew up poor on the mean streets by any stretch of the imagination:

1) 100k views in the first 24hr will likely hit 1mil in a week or two.
2) The ad revenue is often the bigger money maker.
3) They cross market. These guys are very much in it as a business (nothing wrong with that but don't get confused thinking it's you crazy aunt & uncle's vacation videos). Patreon could easily triple their income and then I'm sure they have an amazon store selling t-shirts and other items. Don't forget tick-tock and twitter. Doesn't take a big percentage of views supporting them via other venues to make a lot.

Also, they typically are putting out 2-8 videos per month. So an income on the order of $10-30k/month is very likely.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:37   #174

Quote:
Tuber cruiser are the modern version of the glossy sailing magazine. They mostly sell the sizzle. They aren't aimed at people actually living the life. They are mostly aimed at dreamers, because that's where the biggest market (and hence the money) is at.

I've got nothing against folks who can turn a buck making cruising videos. It's hard work that takes a lot of skill and equipment. But no one should be fooled into thinking these Tuber cruiser are presenting reality. In fact, it's very much like so-called "reality TV," which is a complete oxymoron most of the time.
Actually, many start out very much amature but those that stick around more than a year or two and hit big numbers go glossy.

As you say, nothing wrong with that if they are honest about it but I tend to lose interest when they become more like infomercials for the products that were given to them.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:57   #175

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
. But the real point to living on a boat is that you do it becuase you want to, not because you are saving money (which I find unlikely - gosh knows, I never did). You are choosing to live in smaller living quarters, with limited amenities, and access to fewer assets because the life style appeals to you. And if or when it no longer appeals - you will likely change your living situation.
Depends, we have a small house, still do

Our boat offers similar space and amenities to the house and is cheaper to run than the house - if you were to buy it and were making repayments.

The only reason the house is cheaper at the moment is because we own it and have it tenanted.

But we have done the maths as well
Renting a 2 bedroom apartment with water views is about $27,000 a year plus power and water
That's very similar to what it costs us to cruise full time including food, fuel and maintenance

To buy that 2 bedroom apartment would cost us $51,500 a year plus power, water, rates, maintenance, insurance and body corp
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:08   #176
Nearly an old salt

Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Yes. AND this smaller space, with more limited amenities, and access to fewer assets (by this I guess you mean places to spend money) is exactly how boat can be cheaper.

It's not rocket science, or even rocket economics. If you live smaller, you can do it cheaper. And a boat is an excellent way to live smaller.

It's certainly possible to spend as much, or more, on boat life. But it's a lot easier to live on less because you tend to live with less. It's really that simple.

Why would want to live “with less”. What’s there before that was “ too much “. My boat life is different. I eat out more , the weather is better , but other then space comparisons. I don’t see “ much “ and less “. Well ok I never go to the pub at home but there’s more activity here in the bar here so I visit more
I don’t get thd “ more “ or less argument. I still have to cook , wash clothes , cut my hair , buy some clothes etc. nothing is very different to being at home simply due to be on a boat.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:56   #177

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why would want to live “with less”. What’s there before that was “ too much “. My boat life is different. I eat out more , the weather is better , but other then space comparisons. I don’t see “ much “ and less “. Well ok I never go to the pub at home but there’s more activity here in the bar here so I visit more
I don’t get thd “ more “ or less argument. I still have to cook , wash clothes , cut my hair , buy some clothes etc. nothing is very different to being at home simply due to be on a boat.
I think that’s just a location thing. You are in a marina in a populated place. You are basically living in a small studio flat/apartment that floats.

Mike cruises the north western Atlantic. The north east tip of North America. This is a remote area. And he’s moving around in it at anchor.

Simply put, there’s really nothing for Mike to spend his money on. He’s looking at nature probably. Going ashore here and there for necessities. there are fewer restaurants and fewer things to spend money on out in nature. Also, there’s not much chance to go out and get your haircut, go buy new clothes, you have to plan for this when you are cruising out in nature. There’s simply nothing to spend your money on. So it lasts a lot longer.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:00   #178
Nearly an old salt

Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think that’s just a location thing. You are in a marina in a very populated place. You are basically living in a small studio flat/apartment that floats.

Mike cruises the north western Atlantic. The north east tip of North America. This is a remote area. And he’s moving around in it at anchor.

Simply put, there’s really nothing for Mike to spend his money on. He’s looking at nature probably. Going ashore here in there for whatever. But, there are fewer restaurants and fewer things to spend money on out in nature. Also, there’s not much chance to go out and get your haircut, go buy new clothes, you have to plan for this when you are cruising out in nature. There’s simply nothing to spend your money on. So it lasts a lot longer.

Sure I appreciate that. But most people are not live aboards to live in the literal middle of nowhere.

I mean at home I’d save more money as I’d cook in nearly 100% and never go out socially , on my boat I still have to maintain my prime and Netflix , high throughput lTE , etc etc.

Even if I didn’t go out here I’d not save much over the house. The difference would be very little. ( 3 haircuts a year anyway )

The difference here is there’s a community of boaters and hence more drinking and eating out as well what else are you gonna do in the winter.

On a month to month basis the boats about 10-20% more expensive on day to day living This is before any Berthsage and other high spend maintenance costs.

My point was though what’s to “ get away from “ in house living. Anything I can save in a boat I can save in a house too and more to boot because I can’t avoid costs in the boat.

I mean this is not about “ slumming “ it. I’m
62 I have that up in college. !!!. Now I’m on a pension and we monitor the pennies but we “ live “ also.

On a “ quality of life “ basis the boat is way better but that’s not a function of the boat.

It would be 2-4K cheaper a year here just to rent an apartment. Many ex boaters have done so since covid. ( sadly the rate is accelerating recently )
Old 02-11-2022, 05:08   #179

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think that’s just a location thing. You are in a marina in a very populated place. You are basically living in a small studio flat/apartment that floats.

Simply put, there’s really nothing for Mike to spend his money on. He’s looking at nature probably. Going ashore here and there for necessities. there are fewer restaurants and fewer things to spend money on out in nature. Also, there’s not much chance to go out and get your haircut, go buy new clothes, you have to plan for this when you are cruising out in nature. There’s simply nothing to spend your money on. So it lasts a lot longer.
I read a book once about a family that did the Great Loop. Then they capped it off with a run to the Bahamas. They hated it because of the isolation.

I had planned on bypassing the Bahamas but after reading that I started researching the Ragged Islands and am planning on spending a few months in the area.

A lot of my expenses are due to attachment to land. I'm still working full time so can't avoid it. I spent a month meandering down the Keys on my way down. Only came to shore twice (once to replace an oar, the other because I ran out of Oreos). That month for me was perfection... and cheap.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:17   #180

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sure I appreciate that. But most people are not live aboards to live in the literal middle of nowhere.

I mean at home I’d save more money as I’d cook in nearly 100% and never go out socially , on my boat I still have to maintain my prime and Netflix , high throughput lTE , etc etc.

Even if I didn’t go out here I’d not save much over the house. The difference would be very little. ( 3 haircuts a year anyway )

The difference here is there’s a community of boaters and hence more drinking and eating out as well what else are you gonna do in the winter.

On a month to month basis the boats about 10-20% more expensive on day to day living This is before any Berthsage and other high spend maintenance costs.

My point was though what’s to “ get away from “ in house living. Anything I can save in a boat I can save in a house too and more to boot because I can’t avoid costs in the boat.

I mean this is not about “ slumming “ it. I’m
62 I have that up in college. !!!. Now I’m on a pension and we monitor the pennies but we “ live “ also.

On a “ quality of life “ basis the boat is way better but that’s not a function of the boat.

It would be 2-4K cheaper a year here just to rent an apartment. Many ex boaters have done so since covid. ( sadly the rate is accelerating recently )
Its quite easy to save $2-4k PER MONTH these days living aboard vs living on land. Just the price difference between a mortgage and a boat loan will make up most of the savings. Typical mortgage payment (monthly) for an average home these days is around $5k... Contrast that with just the loan payment on a $100-150k boat (typically $1-1.5K ) that alone is most of the difference.. yes you have slip fees, liveaboard fees, etc but that roughly averages out to the monthly property taxes you are putting away. BUT and there is a big BUT here...winters are more difficult livingaboard than on land!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, Live aboard