Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 12:28   #61

Boat: J-Boats, J-27
Re: Etiquette while docked

Ok...How about the old flashing highbeams trick? Get yourself a nice bright set of LEDs and shine them back at him…
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 12:36   #62

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar Sail master 47 Sloop

Had a similar situation happen in my marina a few years ago when a new flybridge fishing boat came in. I was awoken to ridiculously bright fishing lights and in the a.m. went over to the other finger to confront "the jerk". Turns out that he was an old friend and that he had accidentally hit the switch for his bow fishing lights with his knee when he was hopping down from the bridge the previous afternoon. He couldn't see that the light were on in the daytime and crashed early that night and never saw that his lights were on. He was totally mortified that he had kept half the marina up that night and apologized prophetically. So, sometimes people don't realize their lights are on and killing the neighbors and he might have left the boat in the daytime and hasn't been back since.. Go have a talk with him or the Marina. You might find out that he was just a dummy and meant no harm like my old friend. [emoji2957]
Old 17-07-2020, 14:13   #63

Boat: Island Packet 40

The laws or regulations you are looking for are those related to "nuisance". If you can research and find the federal,state or local laws related to "nuisance" and bring it to the perpetrators and/or perpetrators attention that a transgression is being perpetrated they may modify their response.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 14:29   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

The base rule is: walk up to the owner and ask them to switch off these lights.

If they are not onboard, go to marina office, ask them to talk to the owner.

There is a handful of other solutions that I do not recommend (sueing, taking down the lamps with a handgun, etc.)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:03   #65
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

So this is where we have gotten. So many on here who's first or second solution involves firearms? And I am not anti-gun. I am a gun owner but that is not a good solution to this. Where I live my neighbors sometimes leave their outside light on and it shines right in my bedroom window. All I do is say, hey you left your light on last night, and they say Sorry. We'll double check it. As your mother told you, you get more flies with honey than vinegar. As some have said, buy him a drink and ask politely. You may be surprised at the response. He probably just forgot, or is afraid of thieves.
Old 17-07-2020, 17:57   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, it is a predominantly US forum. Hence.

Elsewhere you just go to that owner and talk. Most switch the lights off, especially in Sweden.

Seriously though: I too bet the guy or lady just forgot about the lights. Many big power boats use powerful beam lights while docking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 18:31   #67

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I take a bit of an issue with that B.

I think the vast majority of people would approach the captain and discuss. But forums and anonymity encourage people to spout that Rambo stuff. I also think that current events in the US are encouraging it. The couple who posed with guns as a protest walked by made sure that they were photographed so the picture could go viral. It some weird living through the internet crap.

On our gate in the marina here we have commercial guys who leave their huge lights and generators run all night. We put up with it because they'll be gone in a couple of days and they're just trying to earn a living.

Transient boats that come are greeted by one or the other of the liveaboards where we offer to help tie up, maybe a ride to the store and if we have to mention lights or loud music, by that time they're friendly and willing to cooperate. Never seen another outcome.

We're not all rude threatening yokels.
Old 18-07-2020, 05:44   #68

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 33

First ask nicely, then if that doesn’t work, rent a giant searchlight, or the roll up halogens they use at night for road construction and aim it at their house.
Stress Recess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 13:52   #69

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 33

Or if they won’t be cordial, get a large mirror and reflect it back.
Stress Recess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 13:58   #70

Asking would be the right thing to do, but you never know what type of person own the boat. Best first step leave a nice note and see what happens.
jblogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 06:31   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailortobe View Post
A power boat docks in a Marina across the bay from my house in California.
He has 2 very bright lights (like High beams) that he leaves on All Night.
He's the only one that does that in the marina.
His bright lights are quite annoying , also a lot of my neighbors share my concern.
Are there rules or laws concerning that?
Thanks

Some places have local ordinances that prohibit this because of interference with wildlife. Check yours.
G8rEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 14:38   #72

Boat: DownEast 45 - Nighthawk

Go talk to him. If that doesn't work Go buy the biggest brightest spot lights you can find and light him up. If that doesn't work add loud heavy metal music. It worked on Noriega.
J. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 15:14   #73

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Here in Oz, people complain to the local council, then they make a law about it and the marina will get fined if they don't enforce it. Not saying whether I think this is good or bad, but it is what it is.

Ann
I’d say that’s across the board bad lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
So this is where we have gotten. So many on here who's first or second solution involves firearms? And I am not anti-gun. I am a gun owner but that is not a good solution to this.
VERY smart move, I think folks recommending that ether were joking with you or don’t know anything about firearms or the law, firing on someone’s boat is a great way to ether become a felon or catch return fire.

OP, have you tried talking to him about it?
Most times I’ve had a issue and talked to a neighbor, maybe bring over a beer or two, it’s fixed the issue right up. I’d say go make friends, that’s half the reason I enjoy “dock life”

I could see it being a security concern, might be able to use IR lights instead if it’s for the benefit of a camera, or just put them in a motion activated switch.

I wouldn’t go all Karen in him and take it to the marina or whomever unless ALL other avenues failed, seems a good way to make a enemy.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 18:54   #74

Boat: Island Packet 40

Why muck about with that wimpy gun stuff, go find your local munitions bootlegger and get yourself an RPG.

Excessively bright lights which tend to blind one to hazards on docks or whilst transitioning from boat to dock are dangerous.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 16:53   #75

Boat: Pearson 36

Impolite and a bit mindless. Some people have a need to be noticed. Cars with extremely loud exhausts has become a show off cult, along with loud music booming out of car radios. I'm not sure what drives people in that direction, but I have a neighbor a couple houses away whose yard is lighted by dozens of cheap solar lights that look like the runway of an airport at night.

I find it very offensive and inconsiderate.

I don't have an answer. Something spiteful in me doesn't think someone like that even deserves a conversation, if they haven't figured it out on their own.
robertmfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock