Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 17:34   #76

Boat: 32’ Sloop
Re: Etiquette while docked

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmfranklin View Post
Cars with extremely loud exhausts has become a show off cult, along with loud music booming out of car radios.
Some of us older guys remember different, loud cars, music and showing off started shortly after the first car rolled off the first line

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmfranklin View Post
Something spiteful in me doesn't think someone like that even deserves a conversation, if they haven't figured it out on their own.
Those rock music loving, dancing, hot rod kids will show respect for the “cool old guy” and will probably be much more likely to turn up their music and spin their tires by “that guys” house.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 18:12   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I rode a Harley for years....loud pipes was just a given....you could hear me coming a half mile away....
First thing any new Harley owner does...is remove the stock factory muffled pipes and install any of a variety of aftermarket pipes.....it was just the way it was....and is
Off course, from my viewpoint, a Harley on full tap with unmuffled pipes is beautiful music...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 01:23   #78

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's like the guys with snowplows who go around all winter with their flashing yellow lights on, even when not plowing anything. It's all about proving their manliness or something.
I used to have a snow plow on my truck and did run lights. At least at the time it was recommended by the Snow and Ice Management Association (SIMA is like BoatUS for snow plows). The issue was that people didn't consider that you might have four to six feet of metal hanging off the front of your truck. Lots of accidents from lane changes.

Relevant to the OP, could be any one of a number of things going on that aren't immediately apparent which makes civil discussion the best recourse.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 04:44   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Relevant to the OP, could be any one of a number of things going on that aren't immediately apparent which makes civil discussion the best recourse.
I was thinking the same thing whilst reading some of the recommendations for violence or fire arms

They may not even be aware of the problem, so a friendly chat might result in the quickest and easiest solution.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:54   #80

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I was thinking the same thing whilst reading some of the recommendations for violence or fire arms
Exactly. That sort of gross over reaction is beyond hyperbole. To me, it approaches calling arson, vandalism, looting, assault, etc. "protest" or "civil disobedience." It defies understanding. Cabin fever perhaps?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:56   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Exactly. That sort of gross over reaction is beyond hyperbole. To me, it approaches calling arson, vandalism, looting, assault, etc. "protest" or "civil disobedience." It defies understanding. Cabin fever perhaps?
No, not cabin fever, sometimes things are said tongue in cheek(What a strange expression) and sometimes it is a just a knee jerk reaction/statement. Seen it for decades on different websites well before the virus.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 13:22   #82

I have been reading the replies made by many of the subscribers of this forum and, for the most part, taken them as valid criticism directed toward the original comment posted.
However, after noticing the latest replies, it is becoming more evident that there is a certain degree of almost vicious attacking involved here.
The person writing the original post, I believe, was asking for advice on a subject he or she thought might draw some intelligent insight into answering the questions. Instead, many of the replies submitted appear to contain a high degree of ridicule and debasement.
Obviously, anyone who owns real estate on some of the most expensive oceanfront land in the United States is serious about questions related to “quiet enjoyment” of their property and should be afforded the dignity of a serious, legitimate answer that would be appropriate so as to not create conflict between the boat owners and the home owners.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 17:13   #83

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26

"Hello neighbor! I can be a good neighbor, or I can be a bad neighbor. Which would you prefer? Mind turning your lights off?"
TheLuckyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock