Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 04:57   #76

Re: Fake Circumnavigations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
What if you do a quick lap of Antarctica.
Not enough miles, doesn't cross an antipodal point of it's own track, so no official circumnavigation.

However, circling Antarctica in the southern Seas is still impressive. Add in a descent of the Atlantic from Les Sables d'Olonnes and go back up there at the end and you'll have the track of the Vendée Globe.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 05:18   #77

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
It’s akin to the IrionButt association for motorcycles. You have to submit tons of receipts to prove something. My son and I when he was 19 rode two m/c’s from Key West to Deadhorse, back to Key West. We know we did it n who cares about the “certificate “.
Yep, used to ride a lot (now, not so much...) and kept IBA records on one ride, then decided that while there were motorcyclists in my family, there weren't any accountants and book-keeping wasn't the goal... sailing, pretty much the same, heck, half the time I won't know where I'm headed until I get there... the voyage is probably the goal, not the anchorage/marina/club...
Old 21-09-2021, 16:32   #78

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Wait? Sailing has goals?
Old 21-09-2021, 16:36   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Wait? Sailing has goals?
Don't know but my wife seems to think it's to empty the bank accounts as fast as possible.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 17:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It's a pejorative term for a white woman. Therefore it is racist.
Not to mention, a wee bit sexist too.
As a white person I hearby grant irrevocable and unconditional approval to use Karen as you see fit regardless of your race, sex, creed, or pronouns.

Feel free to print this and keep it in your wallet to show the next overly sensitive Nancy who acts like a Dick.
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 17:18   #81

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrophylla View Post
As a white person I hearby grant irrevocable and unconditional approval to use Karen as you see fit regardless of your race, sex, creed, or pronouns.

Feel free to print this and keep it in your wallet to show the next overly sensitive Nancy who acts like a Dick.
You don't speak for all white people. You sure as hell don't speak for me. I only let someone speak for me if I'm confident they have a clue about what they're saying.

Firstly, it's dick - small "d". You use it to compare someone to a penis, not a Richard. As for nancy, it's also not capitalized, although it is derived from the name, or rather the nickname. Over time it evolved in its usage, but would now widely be regarded as homophobic. Times change and words/terms fall out of favour, or at least they should. Unenlightened, boorish troglodytes may disagree.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 15:42   #82

Boat: Freedom 28M

I personally do not have the time to care about the details of ones circumnavigation journey, as I am impressed regardless, but I have thought before that is would be convenient for those of us interested if there was a term to describe this voyage when it includes Cape Horn and Cape Hope. Maybe there is, and if so, what is it?
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 18:15   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fake Circumnavigations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
I personally do not have the time to care about the details of ones circumnavigation journey, as I am impressed regardless, but I have thought before that is would be convenient for those of us interested if there was a term to describe this voyage when it includes Cape Horn and Cape Hope. Maybe there is, and if so, what is it?
Well when I first developed my interest in sailboats I always felt the 'real' circumnavigation included passing the 5 Great Capes.. also known as the Clipper Route used by the old Tea Clippers and others carrying trade around the world.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 04:50   #84

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Wait? Sailing has goals?
After we retired and went to the Caribbean, Grenada in this case, several people asked what our plans were. Beer seemed to be a common part of these discussions. This seemed odd since I thought the whole idea of being retired and off sailing was not to have much in the way of plans. Talked to the Admiral about this and her response was to ask what our options were. I wrote down all the possibilities I could think of built around hurricane season options and the like. These included everything from hauling for the summer to going to Europe. To be as complete as possible I added 'circumnavigation as option 7 or 8. That is the one she picked which surprised me. Having picked that as a long-term goal planning was still just in chunks of several months based around things like cyclonic storm seasons (hello Oz), visa restrictions (French Polynesia), pirates (we loved South Africa), together with just wanting to visit various exotic spots (Easter Island which means a stop off in Pitcairn since it is on the way to FP.. Wish I had kept the piece of paper, would be nice to have it framed on the wall now.
Old 26-09-2021, 06:37   #85
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlepera View Post
Joshua Slocum was the first person ever to traverse the globe entirely by himself. He did it from April 1895 to June 1898 in an old, single-masted sloop he rebuilt and christened the Spray, barely 36 feet long and a mere 14 feet wide. No Engine

During the course of his journey, Slocum was chased by pirates and accosted by hostile natives, buffeted by giant waves and blown about by fearsome gales and blinding rain and snow. He also visited with a King and dined on a Pacific island with the widow of famed Scottish novelist Robert Louis Stevenson.

Slocum carried a rifle and a shotgun with him as well as a box of tacks. Food was stored in barrels

Having previously been ship wrecked and he then mysteriously disappeared on his second voyage
Old 13-10-2021, 19:51   #86

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

Ask John Sanders ,the greatest solo living circumnavigater in history .
3 times nonstop solo was pretty impressive .
His previous Twice was not enough .
I believe he now has a total of eleven ,the last one about a year ago and the dude is in his eighties .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation