Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2023, 03:59   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thought this happened in the Dominican Republic..

They initially tried to retake possession in the Bahamas.
Old 30-08-2023, 04:13   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
They initially tried to retake possession in the Bahamas.
Bet you'd sing a different tune if it was your boat..

The problem is the owner is bringing unessential data into the equation.. a sale that went bad.
Just say the boat was sailed out of the USA without permission.. aka stolen.. which makes it a criminal offence.
She has all the required documentation to prove ownership, he I presume from the info so far has none.
If you charter a boat in the BVI's and sail away, to resurface 6 months later in San Blas I'm pretty sure it would be classed as a criminal offense.. same principle, you rented something and broke the agreement.
Just do them for theft.. take the civil equation out of it.. the finer details can be hammered out in court.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 30-08-2023, 05:40   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

Quote:

The problem is the owner is bringing unessential data into the equation.. a sale that went bad.
Just say the boat was sailed out of the USA without permission.. aka stolen.. which makes it a criminal offence.
She has all the required documentation to prove ownership, he I presume from the info so far has none.
If you charter a boat in the BVI's and sail away, to resurface 6 months later in San Blas I'm pretty sure it would be classed as a criminal offense.. same principle, you rented something and broke the agreement.
Just do them for theft.. take the civil equation out of it.. the finer details can be hammered out in court.

While I agree with this, you know what stinks about that? The police are actually very lazy.

Recently, I lost $25,000 to someone. They committed 2 misdemeanors in the process. The local police couldn’t be bothered to enforce the law, despite all the written evidence. I am not sure what the next step is, but I think I have to go to the state police/attorney.

That’s how people like this guy get away with this stuff. Very few people breaking the law have enforcement against them it seems.
Old 30-08-2023, 06:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

I find it boils down to whether your a 'local' vs a foreigner where the plods are concerned.
It appears the boat had been in Dominica a while and the couple had formed friendships with other boats and locals onshore which seem to have tilted things in their favour when strangers appeared on the boat.
Its all down to immediate perception by the local plods..
I experienced this in Oz when I arrived with a delivery, the owners tried screwing me over and refused to pay me and duck my flight home so I decided to take the boat back to Ft Lauderdale and dump it where I first joined it.
Unfortunately the owners wife spotted me heading out of Perth and told the police the boat was being stolen.
The police rib caught up with me 7nm from port and ordered me back, no interest in my story as we shouted back and forth.
However, once I docked and they came aboard and heard the story, along with the fact handover had not yet happened as the owners had not shown their face and I was still officially in command they were more sympathetic saying if they had had the facts they would not have come after me.
But.. it was what it was, lawyers were dragged into things and my circumnavigation did not happen..

Old 30-08-2023, 06:02   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I’m singing the same tune as you, take the legal route not the stealing back because it’s mine route.
Old 30-08-2023, 07:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

What the owners need to do is take out legal action Involving the FBI which should result in the thief's passport being flagged and an arrest when either entering or trying to leave the US.. and their arrest and extradition abroad.
For those who say its not an FBI worthy case.. Read the precident below..

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/ne...h/yacht_032505

Old 30-08-2023, 07:51   #22

Quote:

The problem is, the owner produces paperwork indicating she owns the boat. The person occupying the boat is producing paperwork indicating that he has a Purchase and Sale to buy the boat. What she is dealing with is a repossession due to failure to pay.

This is why the police are stating that this needs to be ironed out in the courts, not the streets.
Old 30-08-2023, 08:54   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The problem is, the owner produces paperwork indicating she owns the boat. The person occupying the boat is producing paperwork indicating that he has a Purchase and Sale to buy the boat. What she is dealing with is a repossession due to failure to pay.

This is why the police are stating that this needs to be ironed out in the courts, not the streets.
It depends on the terms of the deal.. did the owner specify any conditions on boat movements in the agreement to Rent to Buy.
If those conditions are broken and no payments have been made it's a case of theft by fraud.
Criminal offense.

Old 30-08-2023, 09:14   #24

Boat: Tartan 3800

Moderator hat on

After discussion, the site team has determined that it is best to close this thread as several posts are not compliant with site policy.

Tags
boat