Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 22:38   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
“ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

https://open.substack.com/pub/loosec...trust-then-she

Just some light reading! Crazy story if true.
Old 29-08-2023, 03:01   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

They had a sing-along, what could go wrong?

He didn't take the boat, she gave him the boat.

Nothing prepares you more for the real world like living off grid and singing kumba ya.
Old 29-08-2023, 04:46   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

I remember them in the Keys, a constant soap opera.
Old 29-08-2023, 07:27   #4

I'm immediately reminded of the recent thread defending "Rent-to-Own" where many folks defended engaging in such a contract with ".....It's different if it's someone you know".

I guess it isn't. Just another cautionary tale.
Old 29-08-2023, 09:21   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Apparently the owners were unfamiliar with the adage “trust…but verify”.
Old 29-08-2023, 09:24   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Insurance? The boat sounds like it is a wreck anyway. I would let the insurance companies lawyers handle it.
Old 29-08-2023, 10:23   #7
smj

Was a beautiful catamaran a year and a half ago
Old 29-08-2023, 16:43   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

What beats me is why she didn't repossess the cat in the Bahamas. Hire some security, mechanic and a skipper. Board the vessel when he is ashore and head for Florida. Even in Dominca I would do the same thing but with a support vessel nearby. Get the cat in US territory and then become civilised again. I wonder who is advising her, she looks a bit soft and probably needs someone who thinks like the criminal she is dealing with.
I shared the article with a few of my friends and they would have no problem repossessing the cat. He's only a thief, not even a conviction for violence. I am sure if he tried to intervene during the repossession a tap on the jaw should sort him out. Being a con, he has probably had a few beatings in his time.
Cheers
Old 29-08-2023, 16:51   #9
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
What beats me is why she didn't repossess the cat in the Bahamas. Hire some security, mechanic and a skipper. Board the vessel when he is ashore and head for Florida. Even in Dominca I would do the same thing but with a support vessel nearby. Get the cat in US territory and then become civilised again. I wonder who is advising her, she looks a bit soft and probably needs someone who thinks like the criminal she is dealing with.
I shared the article with a few of my friends and they would have no problem repossessing the cat. He's only a thief, not even a conviction for violence. I am sure if he tried to intervene during the repossession a tap on the jaw should sort him out. Being a con, he has probably had a few beatings in his time.
Cheers

They owners went through the Bahamian authorities and if they’d done what you said, they would probably be sitting in a Bahamian jail as we type.
Old 29-08-2023, 17:26   #10

SMJ why even involve the police? You board the cat at night, with your team ask Panella to grab his passport and clothes then get off the boat. You then high tail to Florida and sort it out there. Say the Bahamian police intercept you, she has the documentation to prove the vessel is hers so what is the problem? Judging by his record he is a con artist, and you have to call his bluff. So far, she seems to be happy to be playing by the law while he does what he pleases. I can think of a few yarns I have heard of similar stories involving cars and property the con artist always ends up losing. One I can think of did involve a midnight raid and no one got charged. Even if the means to gain possession of the property again might not be strictly legal. You just need to hang with a rougher crowd to hear some good stories. Like the cops say it's a civil matter so why would they care if you took your own property back? Can you imagine Panella calling the Bahama police. "My cats been stolen I need it back" They board the cat on the way to Florida, she produces the ownership papers and then what do they say. A quick call back to Panella asking for his papers and he has nothing to prove ownership. 50/50 chance he even calls the cops, with his record I bet he knows the con is up.
Cheers
Old 29-08-2023, 17:31   #11
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
SMJ why even involve the police? You board the cat at night, with your team ask Panella to grab his passport and clothes then get off the boat. You then high tail to Florida and sort it out there. Say the Bahamian police intercept you, she has the documentation to prove the vessel is hers so what is the problem? Judging by his record he is a con artist, and you have to call his bluff. So far, she seems to be happy to be playing by the law while he does what he pleases. I can think of a few yarns I have heard of similar stories involving cars and property the con artist always ends up losing. One I can think of did involve a midnight raid and no one got charged. Even if the means to gain possession of the property again might not be strictly legal. You just need to hang with a rougher crowd to hear some good stories. Like the cops say it's a civil matter so why would they care if you took your own property back? Can you imagine Panella calling the Bahama police. "My cats been stolen I need it back" They board the cat on the way to Florida, she produces the ownership papers and then what do they say. A quick call back to Panella asking for his papers and he has nothing to prove ownership. 50/50 chance he even calls the cops, with his record I bet he knows the con is up.
Cheers

Hang with a rougher crowd? 🤣🤣🤣. But seriously, your on the other side of the world?
Old 29-08-2023, 17:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hang with a rougher crowd? ������. But seriously, your on the other side of the world?
I don't know, I've known a few 'wrong side of the tracks' Americans in places from NYC to NC and even as far South as Panama who'd have happily done it for the laugh plus expenses..
In Oz you call in the 'toecutters'..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 29-08-2023, 17:48   #13
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't know, I've known a few 'wrong side of the tracks' Americans in places from NYC to NC and even as far South as Panama who'd have happily done it for the laugh plus expenses..

Yes, and I’ve also associated with these types most of my life, all in all a great group of individuals that maybe made a right turn when they should have turned left!🤣.
But as someone who appreciates and enjoys the Bahamas, all we need are a few people giving the Bahamian authorities a hard time that will eventually lead to hard feelings between the cruisers and Bahamian officials.
If you can’t appreciate or abide by other countries laws or traditions, stay out.
Old 30-08-2023, 01:59   #14

SMJ he dragged the fight overseas so it's gloves of I reckon. She needs to stop thinking like a wasp and get real. It's all probably to late, but while Panella was out of the country would have been the perfect opportunity to strike. What's the bet Panella isn't back in the US doing legitimate work to supplement the cruising fund? I wonder if he is even going back to the Dominican republic? He wouldn't be the first con to bail when it all gets to hard and the Mrs is getting on his nerves.
Even now I wonder if you could pay his Mrs to leave the cat? A golden hand shake and an airfare back to the states might work.
Cheers
Old 30-08-2023, 03:54   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: “ First, He Gained Her Trust. Then, She Says, He Took Her Boat Without Paying”

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yes, and I’ve also associated with these types most of my life, all in all a great group of individuals that maybe made a right turn when they should have turned left!🤣.
But as someone who appreciates and enjoys the Bahamas, all we need are a few people giving the Bahamian authorities a hard time that will eventually lead to hard feelings between the cruisers and Bahamian officials.
If you can’t appreciate or abide by other countries laws or traditions, stay out.
Thought this happened in the Dominican Republic..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Closed Thread

Tags
boat