Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 12:42   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: FL keys mooring recommendations please

is there some reason no one is recommending the Key West Mooring field? near as I can tell from the charts it's 8+ feet deep.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:47   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I completed a very detailed Sonarchart of most of bootkey harbor and most of the alleys. Its been uploaded to the Navionics Sonarchart website and is available free to anyone.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...key=qgxuCxe~mN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
is there some reason no one is recommending the Key West Mooring field? near as I can tell from the charts it's 8+ feet deep.
It is a viable option but really sucks in winter. Every time a norther blows through the sea state kicks up and its quite uncomfortable. With that said, we may be moving there in October.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:49   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The biggest problem you will have getting in is that the sisters creek entrance is only passable with 6 feet of draft at high tide, and the west entrance while having enough water has an air draft limit of 65 feet due to power lines.
Forget Sister Creek. With your draft the long way round the end of Boot Key is the safe way to go. Plenty if channel even at dead low tide.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 15:40   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
It is a viable option but really sucks in winter. Every time a norther blows through the sea state kicks up and its quite uncomfortable. With that said, we may be moving there in October.
I see, in other words it's like the Bahamas
Old 14-08-2017, 16:39   #20

When My wife and I was cruising full time, we spent several months on a mooring ball at Boot Key Harbor in Marathon.* Which is a wonderful place to spend your time.* Our sailboat draft 5 1/2' and we had no issues going in and out.* The mooring ball rental includes a weekly visit from the pump out boat.* The city marina, dingy dock, and public park are in close proximity.* The city marina was selling water for 5 cents a gallon when we were there and has many amenities for cruisers such as a library, TV viewing areas, WiFi, etc.* There is also restaurants, Home Depot, CVS, and a publix grocery store within walking distance.*** We spent several weeks cruising in the area between Marathon and Key West.* If you watch the charts, the tide, and the weather it's a wonderful experience.* Fair winds and good luck.
Alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 05:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I see, in other words it's like the Bahamas
It seems like all the very experienced cruisers we run into know that Spring and early summer is the best time to visit the Bahamas!

But yes... apparently like that. One of the reasons we like the Abacos is because of all the protected anchorages on both sides. The ability to quickly move from one side to the other.
Old 16-08-2017, 07:16   #22

Boat: Scout 30

The downside for Boot Key Harbor is that it fills quickly in the winter. It appears that you need to get there before December to get a spot.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 13:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The downside for Boot Key Harbor is that it fills quickly in the winter. It appears that you need to get there before December to get a spot.
Even earlier than that... like Halloween.
Old 16-08-2017, 20:00   #24

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbull View Post
Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL. Marathon City Marina. Well engineered moorings and good facilities dockside. Approx $20/day, $340/mo. Limited number of moorings for boats your size but draft not a problem. Active 9am vhf net on ch68 will answer ANY questions. Nice community of cruisers. Some cool local anchorages not far away.
Bootkey harbor with 6 to 7 ft draft and less than 63 foot mast hight. Use the channel to the west, not the creek.

Key West, October to March can see 3 to 5 ft seas in The mooring field with winds of 25 Kt + from The NW. An easy bus ride to KW and a comfortable Anchorage is my choice and I must mention the derilict boats dragging in KW .....they won't be paying for the damages.... blood and rocks, ya know?

BOOT KEY HARBOR
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 20:10   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

All kinds of private moorings have shown up in KW. You can buy the anchor thing at West Marine. It's a big chunk of cast iron with an eye.
It looks lawless down there.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, men, mooring