Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: FLA Anchoring and Mooring Pilot Program Survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I have responded to the survey with comments to the effect that the fed is supposed to control these waters. The states have no jurisdiction even though they try to gain control because the rich homeowners don't want to see boats in their front views. I go along with controlling derelicts, but the fed should be in control, not the state.
Unfortunately, your belief that the state has no jurisdiction is wrong. The Feds gave that away years ago.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:08   #17

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

A few years ago, some rich people in the Miami petitioned the Florida government to ban anchoring in front of their mansions. The result was a trial period where St Augistine, Vero Beach, Stuart and the sourounding Martin county, Marathon, Miami, and Key West could make local plans so long term, many definitions, anchoring was banned, proof of recent pump out, and public mooring fields would be mandated for long term residents. Coast guard approved waste management systems were banned. Nightly harassment from local sheriffs deputies has resulted. I now avoid these areas.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 13:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I have responded to the survey with comments to the effect that the fed is supposed to control these waters. The states have no jurisdiction even though they try to gain control because the rich homeowners don't want to see boats in their front views. I go along with controlling derelicts, but the fed should be in control, not the state.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 13:37   #19

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission - Boating in Florida

Here's a survey for what it might be worth. I am a little skeptical about the first question on the second page. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't Federal guidelines, laws, and rules for waterways supersede state and local laws? Yet there's no option for federal laws in the question. Admittedly, I'm not totally up to speed on all of the new programs being enacted in FLA. I do hope to be a resident one day so I am becoming more concerned as to these new regulations.
Feds transferred responsibility for ICW to each State. Reason why depth is spotty. Pretty good in Florida. NC, SC and GA leave a lot to be desired.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 16:18   #20

As soon as Greenland finishes melting and raising the ocean level by 67 feet (not including Antarctica) we'll all be able to tie our boats up to a 60 ft light stand in Walmart parking lot (assuming that its already 10 ft above sea level. It'll be too deep to anchor anywhere in the state of Florida. Then what ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 19:35   #21

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

States have autonomy. inside the 3 mile limit states can write what ever law they want as long as it doesn't hinder safety. The rich write the laws and most of the water front land owners are rich. do the math!! there are a lot more better places to go than florida's water ways. Hell most of its waters are so polluted. you can't see 5 feet on a clear day. When I was a kid I used to spearfish in Tampa bay, now I wouldn't even eat a fish that came from Tampa Bay.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, mooring, survey