Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44   #136

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Forum Content

Never occurred to me that filling out my profile could lead to stalkers and such. I guess I figured if Zeehag was still around after all these years there couldn't be THAT much to worry about.

I have been wondering, if you straight up called someone a Richard because they were being a Richard, what would happen.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56   #137

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
:

I have been wondering, if you straight up called someone a Richard because they were being a Richard, what would happen.
I think you have to be clever about it.

According to Robert's Rules, calling someone a "liar" is verboten. Then again, you can always say "I believe there is strong evidence that the member is mistaken".
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 13:10   #138

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Forum Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
. . . I have been wondering, if you straight up called someone a Richard because they were being a Richard, what would happen.
Well if the moderators noticed it or it got flagged by another user the post would be deleted and you'd get a chide PM saying to follow the rules. Unless this was a recurring problem then you'd get an OfficialWarning or a Strike.

If nobody flagged it and the mods didn't notice it on their own for a month or so then it'd probably sit indefinitely.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 13:17   #139

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not having been a mod here I can't say for sure, but I suspect what triggers most official knuckle-wraps is when someone is being verbally abusive and making personal insults.

There is always plenty to disagree with on the topics covered here. We all believe we are right in our choices, but some people find it hard to disagree civilly. Online communication, especially anonymous posting, fosters this tendency.

I sometime respond strongly, and occasionally harshly, to posters who I deem have said something untoward. But I do my best to try and remain cordial and civil in my responses (not always with 100% success though).
Old 08-08-2017, 14:27   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

#1 rule is the the be nice rule, start calling someone names and acting belligerent and you may be asked to leave.
However that is never necessary, in fact I have seen a few that could really tell someone off, nicely. Usually left them flustered and not knowing how to respond.
Women seem to often be best at this.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 14:30   #141
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

to call a richard such, one must be wealthy in vocabulary and imagination and be able to get the point across without being obvious to anyone but the richard.
especially if he was a cabeza de ricardo
i find semantics and linguistics most intriguing and debate as a wonderful mode of discussion when done correctly. done incorrectly they are all rude crude and socially unacceptable., as is calling me a guy. hahahahaha
and no i cannot typo any better now than i could when i first joined up here. been too busy sailing and repairing. hahaha and being hit by a patriciacane in isla navidad ha ha ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:24   #142

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You guys are basically comparing a batch system to an interactive system.

Has anyone given thought to the fact that forums are a 1980's technology? This is why Facebook has billions of users a day and this one... a couple hundred a day? The solution "Search for an answer" is like using a 10 month old disposable razor... useless. The new world finds and pushes content that you may be interested in based on what the product knows about you. Have you recently browsed batteries? Well show me relevant posts by people I know about batteries.. don't make me search that information out. It wastes my time and apparently yours.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:09   #143

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
You guys are basically comparing a batch system to an interactive system.

Has anyone given thought to the fact that forums are a 1980's technology? This is why Facebook has billions of users a day and this one... a couple hundred a day? The solution "Search for an answer" is like using a 10 month old disposable razor... useless. The new world finds and pushes content that you may be interested in based on what the product knows about you. Have you recently browsed batteries? Well show me relevant posts by people I know about batteries.. don't make me search that information out. It wastes my time and apparently yours.
ZBoss,

I can see your point here about the difference in forums versus Facebook as systemic difference, but would like to add that these forums, due to the interactive capacity to offer photography in higher definition, longer posts for increased detail, and an extremely narrow focus when desired makes this medium far superior to Facebook in terms of the applications for which I personally utilize each. For instance, my Facebook account has noplace near the in-depth detail on my nautical interests that this forum does, and I obtain FAR superior advice here relative to the garbage that fills my inbox on Facebook on a regular basis.

The people on Facebook are casual users, rarely specializing in anything of interest to me in particular, and generally not terribly helpful when I am attempting to solve a problem with my 1978 Yanmar SB-8 engine. Additionally, you won't likely find parts for it easily on my Facebook account, either.

When I was carving the 3 inches of growth off the hull of my new (to me) 78 Hunter 27, Facebook users had no idea what a boat hull should look like, but people here understood the situation immediately. They also were able to offer multiple successful means of removing the barnacles, sponges, and slime without bankrupting my already thin wallet.

When I had my kidney surgery, Facebook people all offered emotional support, but none were able to offer advice that would assist me in getting additional repairs handled (thank you Ann!!) while I was down. Now, after a stroke, I am still not in the water, but this site keeps me interested and seeking additional information about the many things that remain to be done, so that I can get Equinox back into the water. She surely costs me plenty sitting on dry land, but I keep putting my list in order, taking out unnecessary improvements as I revisit the list, and I keep finding new ways to do things using older tech using this site that Facebook could not offer me at all.

Between the two, I will take the older technology site, this one, and leave Facebook to the folks making political speeches, wishing one another happy birthday, and making requests for special boosts in Facebook video games. That site seems dedicated to the children and the great grandparents, and I seem to find myself someplace between, but firmly wedded to this source of information and comfort. I take CF even when someone here is angry at something I post, because at least here I have a better chance of being understood. Elsewhere, it does not seem that folks "get it" as fully as the seasoned veterans who populate this board. I, for one, and happy and grateful to be here with such outstanding company (and more than an occasional Richard, but that is for another post).
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:40   #144

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^
Nice post, SF!

Comparing Facebooks drivel with the on target info available on CF is pretty silly. Two weeks of grandchild ordained FB resulted in cancellation of our connection. What a waste of time and bandwidth!

Folks who complain that getting info here is too hard need to hire consultants perhaps, someone to do their work for them. IMO, it's not getting info here that iis difficult, it is deciding which bits to believe!

Jim
Old 08-08-2017, 18:01   #145

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like LS’s ebb and flow view here. I’ve been around here for about six years now, and I don’t see any obvious change in the character of the questions or posts. If you really want to make this claim rourkeh, then it is possible to do some data analysis using the much-touted (and nearly useless) search tool here. Actual evidence of your claim would be interesting.

I’m always amused at this curmudgeony grumble coming from some old farts about using the search tool, and not asking the same old questions. You realize this is a discussion forum, not a database. People come here to discuss cruising-related topics. I’m not saying reading old threads is a bad thing, but if we insisted that only completely new topics be allowed to enter the pantheon of new threads, well, it would be a pretty quiet discussion area. There’s very little that is completely new under the sun … in any topic.

No one forces anyone to read or respond to a thread here. If it annoys you to read the same old posts, then move on. You can even put the thread on ignore if it really bugs you. Take a chill pill daddyoh.

As for this bashing of the 'damn kids who never get outside,' I just have two observations:

#1. Who are the parents? Mostly Babyboomers and Genxers … you know, most of the people who post here. So who’s to blame for these kids?

#2. It was ever the case that the older generations complained about “the damn kids today…”. I’m not saying things aren’t different today than in the past, but every older generation complains about the younger ones, and warns that some new technology is going to rot their brains. It was said about radio, TV, movies, it was said about Rock & Roll, Disco, Wrap, Hip Hop…

So I say, chill dudes and dudettes. Help the newbies if you want to, and have something useful to say. If not, then just have another beer and mutter quietly about the damn kids today.
Well stated Mike, I am 58 years old and it is my generation that helped establish the whole "play date" silliness, and scheduling every minute of their children's lives. As I like to say, kids nowadays, they are just like we were....
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:19   #146

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can buy a Mcmansion with little down, and finance it forever at a low interest rate and the monthly payment is small.

People do seem to be more concerned about appearances and status, or is it just that now I'm older I notice it more?
Cheap credit can change the economy in profound and dangerous ways.

I'd say the status concern is definitely about age...
When you are in high school, everybody agrees about who are the the cool kids. You have to have the right shoes, fancy gadgets, etc. No question about it, and as if to prove the point, any dissent can have cruel consequences, in the school yard and outside.
Early adulthood, same thing: Everyone agrees there's no way you can hope to attract the opposite gender if you don't have a great car, outfit, haircut, whatever.
Young families, same idea again: keeping up with the Jones'es. Comparing, competing, credit scoring.
Only a bit later I guess some people - but certainly not all - have that 'doh' moment: "Holy cow! What on earth were we thinking??"
This is not directly related to sailing, but I have found the highest concentration of the latter "liberated" types among boaters and sailors - and again, typically a bit advanced in age.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:27   #147

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Cheap credit can change the economy in profound and dangerous ways.

I'd say the status concern is definitely about age...
When you are in high school, everybody agrees about who are the the cool kids. You have to have the right shoes, fancy gadgets, etc. No question about it, and as if to prove the point, any dissent can have cruel consequences, in the school yard and outside.
Early adulthood, same thing: Everyone agrees there's no way you can hope to attract the opposite gender if you don't have a great car, outfit, haircut, whatever.
Young families, same idea again: keeping up with the Jones'es. Comparing, competing, credit scoring.
Only a bit later I guess some people - but certainly not all - have that 'doh' moment: "Holy cow! What on earth were we thinking??"
This is not directly related to sailing, but I have found the highest concentration of the latter "liberated" types among boaters and sailors - and again, typically a bit advanced in age.

I've been liberated for about 4 years, since we sold the business. Before that we didn't really try to keep up, just did our own thing which included some nice stuff. Now ready to get on the boat forever. I'm 48.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:21   #148
CLOD

Boat: none

this thread really took a turn, wait till someone finds it using the search feature
Old 09-08-2017, 14:12   #149

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, CONtent turned into conTENT!

Ann
Old 09-08-2017, 16:13   #150
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
this place did used to be a lot more fun. ........
some days it is almost as fun as when the old funky ones of us , of whom there be fewer and fewer, were here posting goats and 3 hour tours and ssssm was discussing dumpster diving. ........
I had forgotten the goats - now I'm missing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
The people on Facebook are casual users, rarely specializing in anything of interest to me in particular, and generally not terribly helpful when I am attempting to solve a problem with my 1978 Yanmar SB-8 engine. Additionally, you won't likely find parts for it easily on my Facebook account, either.
Curious, do you still have your SB-8?
I'm rebuilding a YSE-8.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum