Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 01:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

I am extremely concerned with effect of intensifying terrorism and influence on our freedom of movement as cruising sailors, I for one love the cruising sailors life because of the way we could hop countries around the globe's oceans.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 01:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

I can foresee the increase in yacht searches by the different maritime authorities around the globe. I am sure that those who went through serious invasive search of their yacht are not looking forward to another one. Which liveaboard has receipts for every single item, part of equipment, or food stock on his/her yacht. We should realize that the increasing paranoia, the radicalizing of coastal and island communities will all discredit the simple cruising sailor who wants to explore, live in the marine environment of her/his choice. How can we save our cruising community from being made to look suspicious only because of our capacity to independently sail around and liveaboard.
Old 08-01-2016, 00:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Consider the fact that one has to evaluate the liveboard circumstances, location, religion of atea, political tensions, geography (to be able to nake urgent getaway) before answering question which is your country of origin. I used to ve honest about it now....
Of course it is very important to be informed who your country of origin has bombed, not why, to survive cruising in certain cruising areas where one used to be secure. Ie what nationality you shouldn't claim when visiting Comoris? It is Islamic ruled cou try, who knows if they are Suni or Shiites?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:03   #4

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

For many peoples, those of middle eastern appearance, those of Islamic faith, and even those who look Islamic (Sikh), those with middle eastern sounding names, there has already been a significant impact following what happened in France. Travel is being restricted, visa's rejected, etc.

I would imagine that the same will happen to sailors that fit this same description. Could be already happening.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:50   #5
Marine Service Provider

Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
For many peoples, those of middle eastern appearance, those of Islamic faith, and even those who look Islamic (Sikh), those with middle eastern sounding names, there has already been a significant impact following what happened in France. Travel is being restricted, visa's rejected, etc.

I would imagine that the same will happen to sailors that fit this same description. Could be already happening.

Good point! What can we do? I try wherever I cruise and liveaboard to project positive non-discriminatory culture sensitive attitude without being patronising. I find many fishing communities in the Southern Indian ocean environment live in similar ways, cultural practices, religion, political outlook, hospitality... My fear is that one sailor with wrong attitude could spoil it for others who follow in his/her tracks. I read with interest the new views on political correctness in USA. Also in Europe as expressed by leading academics ethics like Prof Etienne Vermeersch few days ago on BBC with article on right to negate, he defends the right to be honest and talk, write about one owns views even jf racists or political incorrect! To do so in these pristine areas (i know illusion any pristine area still exists) would be highly disruptive disrespectfull and lead to visitibg cruisers being treated very badly.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:51   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

One of the problems with this forum is that it generates a lot of fear. People get nervous about anchoring, changing their oil, jibing, and storms. It's good to have an idea of what problems can be encountered, but we don't need to dwell on them. That's how I feel about this post.

Frankly, many countries borders needed to be watched closer. We shouldn't fear that but embrace it. It's a good thing to have security monitoring what is coming and going. I doubt that we are going to be subject to searches that will involve receipts for food and equipment. But if a countries border control want's to search my boat for weapons, Welcome Aboard. Same for drugs, BTW.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Good point! What can we do? I try wherever I cruise and liveaboard to project positive non-discriminatory culture sensitive attitude without being patronising. I find many fishing communities in the Southern Indian ocean environment live in similar ways, cultural practices, religion, political outlook, hospitality... My fear is that one sailor with wrong attitude could spoil it for others who follow in his/her tracks. I read with interest the new views on political correctness in USA. Also in Europe as expressed by leading academics ethics like Prof Etienne Vermeersch few days ago on BBC with article on right to negate, he defends the right to be honest and talk, write about one owns views even jf racists or political incorrect! To do so in these pristine areas (i know illusion any pristine area still exists) would be highly disruptive disrespectfull and lead to visitibg cruisers being treated very badly.
Well reasoned.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One of the problems with this forum is that it generates a lot of fear. People get nervous about anchoring, changing their oil, jibing, and storms. It's good to have an idea of what problems can be encountered, but we don't need to dwell on them. That's how I feel about this post.

Frankly, many countries borders needed to be watched closer. We shouldn't fear that but embrace it. It's a good thing to have security monitoring what is coming and going. I doubt that we are going to be subject to searches that will involve receipts for food and equipment. But if a countries border control want's to search my boat for weapons, Welcome Aboard. Same for drugs, BTW.

Also very good point thanks. I agree whole heartedly to not dwell on the negative, too much, BUT weare on CF to learn about all issues affecting cruisers. Indeed we should be very open and positive towards law enforcement considering their necessary actions as helping defend us cruisers against criminals as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

It may be Palarran, that you share a common white heritage like I do and perhaps an Anglo Saxon name. But, if you are getting search, not just every time you enter the country but every port you go into. Or your searched, not for guns or drugs, but for lititure that could indicate in the eyes of the 'authority' searching you, that your radicalised, then you may very well not be so supportive of it.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
It may be Palarran, that you share a common white heritage like I do and perhaps an Anglo Saxon name. But, if you are getting search, not just every time you enter the country but every port you go into. Or your searched, not for guns or drugs, but for lititure that could indicate in the eyes of the 'authority' searching you, that your radicalised, then you may very well not be so supportive of it.
This is like a Go Now.. Go Later thread..
Same rules apply.. lets face it.. if one can find CF its not that much more complicated finding No Go area's.. just a key stroke away.
As for being profiled.. try having my surname and an association with Pakistan.. the US gives me Special Treatment every time I've been.. including threats of deportation on arrival...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As for being profiled.. try having my surname and an association with Pakistan.. the US gives me Special Treatment every time I've been.. including threats of deportation on arrival... [/SIZE][/FONT]
That's what I was referring too not good
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Freedom of Movement Around our Globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
That's what I was referring too not good
And.. not since the Paris attacks.. this goes back to pre 9/11.. Go figure..!!

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. not since the Paris attacks.. this goes back to pre 9/11.. Go figure..!!

it's the hat.......they think you are that subversive" Crocodile Dunedee"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:10   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

My Gov is crazy to let the Boatman in!! Not because he's a threat, but imagine the cig and booze shortages that regions will experience
Old 08-01-2016, 03:48   #15

Just be careful what you write on the interweb especially FB .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men