Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Galley stoves

+1 for origo

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:50   #17

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

In our view, alcohol stoves are inefficient and dangerous. Inefficient because alcohol gives off very little heat compared to other stoves -- it takes forever just to boil a cup of water. And dangerous because to light the stove you need to pour liquid alcohol into the carburetor and then light it, and alcohol flame is nearly invisible. So, a little overflow from the cup and whoosh! Up goes the cabin. Easily extinguishable if you're ready for it -- you can put out the alcohol fire with water, and the burning curtains with your fire extinguisher -- but still dangerous.

The obvious alternative is propane (LPG), but that requires a tank storage area outside the cabin, with a drain outside the boat. That way, if there's a leak at the tank the gas flows overboard, not into your bilge. But if you're actually going to live and cook on board, that's the right option. There are a number of sources on how to install a propane stove, but the basics are, you need to use LPG hose at the tank and at the stove (not anything else, as the propane rots ordinary hose materials), a solenoid switch in the propane bottle locker (or if the bottle is outside, upstream of where the hose goes into the boat) and copper tubing for long runs where nothing moves. Then of course you need to have a 12V line for the solenoid with a switch in the galley to activate it.

Of course, you could go electric, but that's useless except if you're tied up at a dock all the time with 110V AC supply, and even then you can only use a 100V stove (most are 220V). Running an electric stove off a 12V inverter is crazy.

Diesel is a safe alternative but we think it stinks, literally. If you do install a diesel stove, be sure to vent the exhaust in such a way that it can't blow into the cabin when the wind blows into the vent. Even a momentary downdraft can render your boat uninhabitable. A simple chimney WILL NOT WORK! A flap valve or Charlie Noble might work, but an electric blower (not a fan) is best.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 12:15   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

My previous boat, which I owned for nearly 8 years and cruised extensively throughout the upper Great Lakes, had an older pressure alcohol stove. It was a great stove (although a terrible oven). Alcohol works fine as long as you know what you're doing ... just like with propane, or any other fuel on board.

It's true alcohol doesn't contain the same BTUs as propane, kero or diesel, but the only time I really noticed this was when I needed to boil a larger pot of water. And the difference is measured in minutes. For most actual cooking the difference is inconsequential. The lower energy content, and the fact that alcohol is liquid as opposed to compressed gas (propane), makes storage of the fuel a challenge on a smaller boat, but on our 34-footer it was never a problem to carry two month's worth.

I now have a propane system and like it very much, but I wouldn't be scared or deterred from using a properly functioning alcohol stove (non-pressure or pressure).
Old 27-11-2015, 13:05   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My previous boat, which I owned for nearly 8 years and cruised extensively throughout the upper Great Lakes, had an older pressure alcohol stove. It was a great stove (although a terrible oven). Alcohol works fine as long as you know what you're doing ... just like with propane, or any other fuel on board.

It's true alcohol doesn't contain the same BTUs as propane, kero or diesel, but the only time I really noticed this was when I needed to boil a larger pot of water. And the difference is measured in minutes. For most actual cooking the difference is inconsequential. The lower energy content, and the fact that alcohol is liquid as opposed to compressed gas (propane), makes storage of the fuel a challenge on a smaller boat, but on our 34-footer it was never a problem to carry two month's worth.

I now have a propane system and like it very much, but I wouldn't be scared or deterred from using a properly functioning alcohol stove (non-pressure or pressure).

Well said, Mike.
Old 27-11-2015, 15:23   #20

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Actually it is not a big deal to see the flame on an alcohal stove. Pressure alcohal stoves are noticeably different in how one fuels, and lights them compared to a non pressurized alcohal stove, they really are two different animals as it were.
One needs to be diligent when starting a fire in ones boat, just don't be a knucklehead and what ever you choose will in the end likely work well for you.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:32   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Being a very poor sailor, when my 40+ year old Trav'ler RV stove mounted in the Rose gave up the ghost last year, I replaced it with another newer Atwood RV stove. Main reason was I could buy one for $280 including shipping from fleebay. This for a three burner stove with oven and broiler. That the old stove held up for 40 years shows that enameled steel construction does last a bit.

I transferred the gymbol mounts to the Atwood and mounted it in the space of the old stove. Of course my boat was a kit boat and the fella that finished it out laid out the stove area around a RV stove, which is similar in size to the 3 burner marina stoves..

The main difference is the top burners do not have a flame out safety. But then none of the other marine stoves I have used had them either. Newer RV stoves DO have flame safety top burners. But as I have a sniffer and watch the stove when cooking anyway, I did not see that as a major issue. Others will disagree.

After a year, it still works very well and has burners equal to a new land stove. They cook much faster and the burners have a better range as it starts on high and goes to low the further you open the valve. Really easy to adjust to simmer. Plus the oven, which does have safeties, cooks very well too.

The only other mods I did was to extend a gas line to the back so the braided hose would not rest on the sharp edges of the metal. It's not really made to gymbol, but it seems to work rather well. It's not as heavy duty as a marine stove, but it holds a 12 quart pot easily

I use SS spring clamps as fiddles to hold the pots while cooking too. For a $300 investment I am quite happy with it.

It does not meet ABYC standards, but then many older marine stoves don't either.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 17:07   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

We have gas and I tolerate alcohol but do not like parafin stoves. Probably you simply like what you are used to.

If you live in one area long time then it makes some sense to use whatever makes best sense. In the marina it is often a small electric stove.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 17:09   #23

Boat: Catalina 387

I have an Origo alchol stove. I don't see how a safer stove could be made. I can see the flame. Add fuel out in the cockpit.

Pressurized alcohol stoves are a different beast. Dangerous as all get out.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:49   #24

Love my Origo, less than no desire to deal with propane, ever, on any boat.
Don't see how it can get much safer than a non pressurized alcohol stove, fill it in the sink, run the water for a few seconds, 0% chance of fire.
Spill some alcohol? Just dump a bucket of water on it! Problem solved, Alcohol fire - water.
No solenoids to fail, no hoses, no adapters, no trying to get a tank filled, no hauling it back to the boat, no vented propane locker, no expiration on the tank......
Could probably use 181 Rum for alcohol in an emergency!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 16:01   #25

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I purchased one boat that had a pressurized alcohol stove. I spent a fair bit of money on parts and a lot of time getting it working again, only to quickly conclude I don't want a pressurized alcohol stove. I don't have any real safety concerns about the non-presureized Origo, stoves, etc. but they are not my favorite.

I've owned several different types of propane stoves ranging from a one-burner wall mounted unit to a 4-burner stove/oven combo. Personally, I'd opt for a propane camp stove over an Origo. That said, if you have an Origo you might as well use it and see if it works for you
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 13:35   #26

I am relatively new to sailing and cruising and have just bought my first boat which has a paraffin stove. I would not change it, you can get paraffin or white spirit / turps (this is better) just about anywhere. It is very controllable, produces a lot of heat and a tankful of fuel lasts for ages (2 gallon tank). No gas problems and no chance of an explosion. Good controllable heat and an oven that is hot enough for cakes and bread. Keep everything on your boat as simple as you can and easy to fix when it goes wrong which it will do.
weegiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 17:11   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegiemann View Post
I am relatively new to sailing and cruising and have just bought my first boat which has a paraffin stove. I would not change it, you can get paraffin or white spirit / turps (this is better) just about anywhere. It is very controllable, produces a lot of heat and a tankful of fuel lasts for ages (2 gallon tank). No gas problems and no chance of an explosion. Good controllable heat and an oven that is hot enough for cakes and bread. Keep everything on your boat as simple as you can and easy to fix when it goes wrong which it will do.
There are a few here who feel the same way.

If you are looking for spares try either base camp or sparesmarine, both in England. I've bought from both, not a problem.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley